After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Take the AE and AI devs out for a beer and see why they've never talked to each other

I hate how unintuitive and cobbled the Illustrator --> After Effects flow is. It's like the teams had one phone call years ago and then never improved on the process.

Illustrator: I think and draw here. Then clean up the objects. Creating new Layers (not sublayers) is and never has been in my workflow. It never needed to be. It ruins trying to select things on the canvas, just overcomplicated. To prep an .ai file to go to AE is just convoluted and really trashes the file and layer organization that is correct in Illustrator.

AE: I ONLY do motion…

35 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Although the sentiment of this idea is appreciated, this submission is not phrased in a helpful manner, and is being closed.

This UserVoice site is designed to allow ideas to be promoted via user voting and comments. The best submissions are clear, individual feature requests or stories that describe the desired functionality you would like for After Effects, or the individual problem that you are trying to solve.

While this submission generally addresses the the topic of integration between After Effects and Illustrator, the title and description do not address a single feature or problem that can be voted and addressed. The commentary is better suited for the Adobe Forums (https://forums.adobe.com/community/aftereffects_general_discussion). Or, I will happily chat with you about this over a beer.

There are several submissions already that address individual feature requests for After Effects integration with Illustrator. We encourage you to vote and comment on them.…

2. Hire twice as much ae team staff as you currently have.

Considering how many people use after effects on a daily basisaround the world, feels like it needs more hands on deck.

31 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Although the sentiment of this idea is appreciated, this submission is not phrased in a helpful manner, and is being closed.

This UserVoice site is designed to allow ideas to be promoted via user voting and comments. The best submissions are clear, individual feature requests or stories that describe the desired functionality you would like for After Effects, or the individual problem that you are trying to solve.

The commentary in this submission is better suited for the Adobe Forums (https://forums.adobe.com/community/aftereffects_general_discussion). Or, I will happily chat with you about this over a beer.

3. Hire a twitter user to listen to After Effects feedback.

Lots of AE users have made suggestions on public forums over the years that might be useful to listen to. I know you want to quantify these feature requests so you can prioritize them in a list.
    "See boss, this FR has 100 votes, so we need to work on that first."

But you're also a company that has tens of thousands of users that work with your product daily and are truly frustrated with some of the ways their productivity is impeded. People make suggestions on twitter, on slack, on their own sites that they've spent time writing up…

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Although the sentiment of this idea is appreciated, this submission is being closed.

The commentary in this submission is better suited for the Adobe Forums (https://forums.adobe.com/community/aftereffects_general_discussion). Or, I will happily chat with you about this over a beer.

Adobe’s Customer Care staff (@AdobeCare) does monitor Twitter and other social media for other posts and responds often when they see people need help. However, due to the volume of requests they aren’t able to respond to everyone. If you need help, please DM them or initiate contact them via phone, email, or chat here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

I also do my best to check…

4. You Millenial Developers are Gluteus Maximus ***** which has a Fragrance that of a Corpse

You know what? You keep adding useless features that nobody will ever use let alone ask for in the first place, and in doing so introduce myriad bugs that destroy our stable workflows.

I can keep writing about the new bugs but what's the point?
    Even the most important things i.e workspace speed and speedy renders (remember multiprocessing or impacting GPU acceleration?) have always been ignored by you for 5 years now.

I can nitpick about all the bugs, usually they're small and unnoticeable for noobish users, but they're enough to destroy my stable workflows, wasting time looking for solutions…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Not Actionable  ·  0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. MULTIPLE REQUEST :: VOTE PLEASE

Maybe some of the below requests are available now and I'm not aware or they are in development (cross fingers), but here they are:

Multiple core support... of course.

Trim layer like Premiere does it "Alt + arrows"

Paint EFFECT on Text Layers ...

Show Layer Styles in the Effects Panel like an effect (not forcing the user to navigate the layer controls to find them)

Have the option to choose between Icon (Thumbnail) or List view on the Project panel. Like premiere , and roll over a video file to scroll it ?

Show Layer Styles in the Effects…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for you post.

We’re closing this post because it contains multiple ideas. UserVoice is a site that is used best when each idea has its own post so that each idea can be discussed and voted on for its own merits.

Many of the ideas you’ve suggested have already been posted; in those cases I encourage you to find those posts and vote for it there and/or comment to make suggestions on how you’d like to see that particular idea come to fruition in After Effects.

6. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Thierry! Thanks for your interest in Project Fastmask.

Right now, Project Fastmask is an Adobe research project. We can’t give a commitment, nor a timeline, for the technology to be integrated into After Effects or any other Adobe product, or what it will look like if it is.

That said, we’re excited about the potential future for Project Fastmask.

7. Why MOV support has been removed? Why? Why? Why?

MOV support has been removed in the new version of AE. This is a ridiculous move from Adobe AE team. Please bring this feature back as it is a very vital part of post production and animation. It's like removing the door handles in a car and expect people to use a ***** to open it. Whoever came up with this idea must be fired. And I saw people are already talking about switching from AE to other compositing alternatives due to your ever increasing down-grades. Disappointed!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is not true. After Effects still supports importing and exporting QuickTime .mov files. What changed in After Effects 15.1 was the removal of legacy QuickTime formats and codecs. After Effects 15.1 and later remain capable of importing and exporting QuickTime .mov files with common codecs, like Apple ProRes, Avid DNxHD/HR, and others. The main difference now is that After Effects supports these codecs natively instead of relying on external QuickTime components.

More detail and a list of supported codecs is here:
    helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime..

If a codec you want to use is not on that list, please post a new request here with the specific codec. (As of today, this list does not include that the Hap codec can be imported into the October 2018 release of After Effects CC or Premiere Pro CC; versions 16.0 and 13.0, respectively.)

Note that plug-ins can also be built using the After Effects SDK

8. Revert ALT+Scroll to zoom into the cursor selection

In the past, After Effects would zoom into the position of your cursor when you hold ALT and scroll on your mouse. This is still true until you have a 3D Layer, at which point ALT+Scroll turns into a camera dolly. I never have wanted to dolly in with a camera when ALT+Scrolling and I don't know why this was ever changed. There should either be an option to turn this off, or this should just be turned off.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The new behavior in After Effects 17.5 where holding the Option (Mac) or Alt (Windows) key can be disabled in the new Preferences > 3D dialog.

Disable the “Activate Option/Alt – Left / Middle / Right mouse click for camera navigation” option to return the Option/Alt + scroll wheel behavior to zooming the composition when a 3D layer is present.

9. Restore markers shortcuts

I used to type SHIFT+1 (etc) to make a marker. And then type 1 to go to that marker.

It was a completely essentially part of my workflow. Now, unless I am missing something it has vanished! 😶

Pointers would be greatly appreciated...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 17.5 composition marker shortcuts don't seem to work anymore

shift + 1, 2,3, etc does not add composition markers and hitting the numeric keys does not navigate playhead to numbered d markers

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is new behavior in After Effects 17.5. The new camera navigation tools and 3D transform widget modes now use the 1-6 keys.

You can restore the old behavior by disabling the “Use 1/2/3 for navigation and 4/5/6 for transform gizmos” option in Preferences > 3D.

More information here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/user-guide.html/after-effects/using/work-in-3D-space.ug.html#camera_controls

11. Timeline Marker bugs in 17.5

Running 17.5 on on iMac Pro I cannot place timeline markers using the keyboard, at least for numbers 1 and 2. Once set, I cannot go directly to numbered markers using the keyboard.

Thanks

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this report. What you are reporting is new behavior in After Effects 17.5: the new camera tools and 3D transform gizmos now use the 1/2/3 and 4/5/6 keyboard shortcuts (respectively).

You can disable the new behavior and return the 1-6 keys to navigating keyboard shortcuts by going to Preferences > 3D, and disabling “Use 1/2/3 for navigation and 4/5/6 for transform gizmos”.

More information about the new features is available here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/user-guide.html/after-effects/using/whats-new/2021.ug.html

12. MAKE IT WORK.

MAKE A PROGRAM THAT WORKS OUT OF THE BOX, INSTEAD OF MAKING US THE TEST SUBJECTS OF YOUR ******* ITTERIVE IMPROVEMENTS. I WORK FOR A NATIONAL BROADCASTER AND YOUR SOFTWARE STRESSES ME OUT. I MAY RECOMMEND SWITCHING TO NUKE, OR ANYTHING ELSE. SERIOUSLY.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Not Actionable  ·  0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bug Report: You can calculate positive jumps in the timecode box, but not negative ones.

Eg, at 25fps:

If the timecode is 0:01:03:16 and you had to type +6:00, you'd be rightly taken to 0:01:09:16.

On the other hand, typing -6:00, leaves you with -0:00:06:00 in the timecode box.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi KenS,

To jump to a timecode value that is prior to the current time, type “+-” before the timecode value. This helps After Effects deal with the fact that you can have negative timecode values, i.e., you can place the Current Time Indicator before time 0:00:00:00. Layers and keyframes can also exist in negative time (ex., think about dragging a video layer to the left so that the first frame of your comp starts on the 1s mark of that layer).

There is detailed information here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/previewing.html#move_the_current_time_indicator_cti

The way I think about “+” vs. “-” vs. “+-” in the Current Time field is this hierarchy:
    1. Entering timecode without a + or – modifier takes you to that timecode.
    2. Entering timecode with the – modifier takes you to the negative timecode value.
    3. Entering timecode with the + modifier adds that value to the current time.
    4. Entering…

14. @Tim Kurkoski - paging Tim Kurkoski...

@Tim Kurkoski - just curious...

Have you seen the AE Multithreading post here with 700+ votes and not a single reply from Adobe? It's not hard to miss at the top of the list.

Maybe you should take a look?

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/33836305-full-program-multi-threaded-support?tracking_code=50147fa612fd950c82b37a67b426a5dd

Sincerely,
    The collective voice of 700+ of your loyal, paying customers...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Master Layer

Make an option where you can make an composition an Master and then u can copy it unlimited times in the timeline and then make changes without effecting the original Composition. Maybe u also could make an option to reset the layer in the timeline to the Master. This would really help with making presets for multiple use.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. the ability to be able to stop the mask being tracked...

the ability to be able to stop the mask being tracked... under mask tracking feature

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

After starting a mask track, you can stop it by clicking the Track Forward or Track Backwards button during mask tracking, or by pressing the Escape key.

If there is a different method you’d like to use to stop the track, or an improvement you’d like to suggest, please file a new request with those specific details.

17. Please buyout or employee some of these awesome coders

So many great scripts make AE much more usable and efficient. Hire some of these guys or buyout their scripts and incorporate it into AE.
    Love the power and customization but dang 3rd parties are making your software more user friendly. That should be Adobe's job.

Would love an update that focuses on UI improvements. Let's face it developers are brilliant but they really don't think or use the software like an end user does. Simple efficient design wins and is business friendly.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for posting. This idea is being closed, please read my message below for detail.

We, the After Effects development team, agree with you that there are many well-designed tools that extend the functionality of After Effects. And that’s intentional: After Effects is built to be extensible, and we are constantly improving the functionality for scripts, panels, and plug-ins. We have a long-standing, close relationship with our developer community.

Many scripts and plug-ins for After Effects are workflow-specific. I appreciate that certain extensions are broadly used by many or even most After Effects users doing certain types of work, but that doesn’t mean the same extensions are needed by all After Effects users. We focus the development of After Effects on core functionality that will be used by as many users as possible, everyone from motion graphic designers to compositors to animators to UX designers to editors to scientific analysis,…

18. Why does After Effects create TWO caches?

Since Upgrade to CC2019 AE creates more than one cache:

One in the selected folder - here D:/Caches - thjere you find:
    - Media Cache
    - Media Cache Files
    Peak Files
    Team Project files

All good with these.

BUT: Now there is a new folder "Adobe" here - with a subfolder "After Effects" and there you find a subfolder called "16.0" with another subfolder "Disk Cache - COMPUTERNAME.noindex"

AE puts as MASSIVE amount of files there, until my SSD is full.
    Purge or delete Cache does not affect this folder.

I have set my maximum Cache to 100 GB -…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your post.

After Effects uses the disk cache for temporary storage of rendered frames, as a backup for the RAM cache.

You can control whether After Effects uses the disk cache and how much disk space it is allowed to use via Preferences > Media & Disk Cache.

More information on the disk cache and related caching options can be found here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/memory-storage1.html

19. Radeon Pro 580 iMac Mojave GPU not supported

After Effects CC version 16.0.1 (OS X)

2017 iMac AMD Radeon Pro 580 GPU does not appear to be supported anymore. Effects that require GPU are no longer working.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this request.

In the screenshot you provided of the GPU Information dialog, the menu that displays only CPU is for the Ray-traced 3D renderer. This renderer is only GPU accelerated for Nvidia GPU’s. Also, as of After Effects 16.0 this renderer has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release; you should use the CINEMA 4D renderer instead.

GPU acceleration for the Ray-traced 3D renderer is separate from GPU acceleration for effects. To enable GPU acceleration for effects, choose File > Project Settings, then click on the Effects and Rendering tab, and set Use to Mercury GPU Acceleration.

GPU acceleration for effects is available on macOS using the Metal or OpenCL GPU technologies. On Windows, supported GPU technologies are OpenCL and CUDA. (CUDA is available with Nvidia cards only.)

If you need additional assistance with this problem, it could be solved more…

20. SWF's not playing in timeline.

SWF's imported into AE no longer play! Only the first frame is displayed for the length of the clip.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base