After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Full program multi-threaded support

After Effects would benefit greatly from being able to actually utilize all cores when rendering, rather than having to rely on a third party solution, like the excellent program Render Garden by Mekajiki.

882 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

376 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everybody!

(This post was co-authored by Tim Kurkoski (After Effects Product Owner), Andrew Cheyne (After Effects Engineering Manager), and Victoria Nece (After Effects Product Manager).)

This thread has been sitting here for quite a while without a response. To start, we want to apologize for that. We haven’t been ignoring you or your feedback – this is just a particularly complex topic. That said, it’s time for us to check in with you, clarify a few things, and give you an idea of what we’re looking at for the future of After Effects, especially when it comes to performance.

To start, we fully understand that you want After Effects to be as fast as it can be – utilizing your computer’s hardware resources to render as fast as possible. Over the last several years, we have been working on the performance of After Effects constantly. Sometimes those performance gains…

2. Interface slowdown when using multiple expressions

Following up on Tim's request to post individual feature requests from Sander's site here....

http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/expressions#faster-interface

Expressions and coding are some of the most powerful tools AE animators have at their disposal, so the fact that using them has such a negative impact on performance is truly disappointing and counter-intuitive.

Sander:
    "The interface slows down drastically when applying lots of Expressions, Code allows us to easily create complex animations and connect values. This is the highest on my list of improvements that After Effects can make."

80 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Master Properties bug (String Memory Leak)

If I use Master Properties to edit text inside a pre-comp, I get a "string memory leak" error when I quit After Effects. If I then clear the custom text by clicking the "Pull from Master Comp" icon, and then save and re-open After Effects, I no longer get the error (at least until I edit the text again through Master Properties).

As an example, I have attached two files. The file with text edited through Master Properties gives me the error upon quitting AE. The other file is identical, except that the text has not been edited through Master…

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. AE CC 2019 Speed on Mac

Just updated to After Effects CC 2019 V16.0.0. MacOS High Sierra, latest iMac with enough of RAM and supported GPU. Preferences resetted. CC 2018 works like charm without speed problems.
    Anybody else experiencing a total slowdown of the UI with the new AE version?
    Everything feels like frozen and AE is practically useless.
    Sorry, cannot work with this. Returning back to CC 2018.

If this is not a general fault, any bright ideas what to do? Please...

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Restore the full support of the Animation Codec

In the 15.1 release After Effects removed the support for the Animation Codec with delta frames. It continues to support the Animation Codec without delta frames. This is an option within the codec window to set keyframes and it is checked by default. I would ask that both the non-keyframe and the keyframe option in the Animation codec be restored. Many of us 3D animators use the codec in it's default mode (delta enabled) and it would be very time consuming to transcode all out work. Thanks

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

We have logged an internal feature request for adding support to the Animation codec for both encoding and decoding delta frames (a.k.a, the “Key frame every X frames” option). It is currently under review for future updates to the Adobe DVA products. At this time I can not share a timeline for when this might happen.

6. Invalid JSON Object Error

Error/Bug Report: When importing a tab delimited file, any quotation marks in data values results in this After Effects alert:

After Effects warning: Problem encountered with file "FILENAME.tsv". Data File: Parsing error:"dataOutline[0]::children[0]", Invalid JSON Object.

When I remove the quotation marks from the text/tsv file, After Effects handles it properly.

Any workarounds for this so I can use data with text values including quotations? Thanks!

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. make median and dust and scratches faster in 16bpc

Median is a very conveniant effect when it comes to removal or retouching works and super fast when your project is set to 8bpc but when you turn it to 16bpc or more it takes forever to render. I would be really thankful if you could do some dev blackmagic to fix that

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please implement project cloak!

Hey guys! Almost a year ago you had Project Cloak in development:
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/19/adobe-max-cloak-smart-erase-sneak

But we haven't heard anything else from this. Will we get it?.
    Content aware removal is really handy.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Characters like á and é and ö can't be text linked with .JSON data driven compositions

Please fix this!

Characters like á and é and ö can't be text linked with .JSON data driven compositions. I need this asap!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Mesh warp bad parameter bug

Exporting from premiere I got an "Unable to create frame" error on an AE linked comp (error code -160962695). The comp was an animation of a PNG graphic with some Mesh warp "glitch" effects.

Tried to render from AE, initially got an error about the memory requirements of the frame while in 32bpc color (error 12804) but after switching to 8bpc I started to get a different error, after that point it was the same error in either 32 or 8pbc.

The final error was a Bad parameter error (error 516) and I discovered that it was the animated Mesh…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for sharing the project file. I was able to reproduce the problem, both with your project and by replicating the conditions of the bug from scratch.

This is a bug which has existed in the Mesh Warp effect for a long time. At this time we do not plan to fix it, because the conditions of the bug are uncommon and easy to work around. But we will leave this bug in “Under Review” state to allow people to continue to vote on it. If this problem is more common that we assume, we can raise the priority and fix this in a future update.

The problem is a combination of a high-resolution layer and moving the mesh warp points a great distance outside of the bounds of the layer.

In this case, your layer is greater than 8000×5000 pixels, though scaled down to 10%, and one of…

12. Pasting from Premiere bug - Duration change and no "Paste At Current Time"

Being able to paste from Premiere into After Effects is awesome, but there is a bug when pasting footage/audio from the Premiere timeline into an already existing composition in After Effects. The After Effects composition will automatically change duration without your input and it won't respect "Paste At Current Time". Do this to re-create the problem.

• Create a new After Effects comp, either from Premiere's "Replace With After Effects Composition" feature, or an independent project. Make it something like 10 seconds.

• Copy any footage or audio clip from a Premiere timeline into an After Effects composition. But make sure the…
    4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ellipse Path Closing with Trim Paths

There seems to be a bug when working with parametric ellipse paths in tandem with trim paths.

It only seems to occur when the Start or End properties in the trim path are set to 50%, while the other is set to 0%. I've attached a couple videos for reference.

When the ellipse path position is adjusted the ellipse path will occasionally close itself, resulting in an unwanted half-circle. The half circle is a result of the Start property set to 0%, and the End property set to 50%. However, when the values are swapped (Start: 50%, End: 0%) it…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Master Property Undo and Copy Expression Bug

If you replace a comp that has a master property with an expression or keys on it, it gets cleared out. That makes sense. But if you undo, expressions and keys on a mastery property don't return.

Also, the UI lets you "Copy Expression Only" for Master Properties but you can't paste onto duplicates, even of the same precomp with the exact same Master Properties.

Aside from a few minor issues, I love the world Master Properties opens up for us.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Opacity not working in Master Properties

I have a pre-comp that has 2 layers in it. One graphic, the other text. I use OPACITY from both layers as a means to control in the MAIN layer as a Master Property. However, when I attempt to change the OPACITY from the MASTER PROPERTY it does not work, respectively

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Renaming things updates them in expressions, unless there is a Try/Catch expression involved

I have an expression that links to another layer. When you update a Layer name or Property name, then that name is updated in all the expressions that use that name (Extendscript calls this autoFixExpressions).

However, if an expression contains a Try/Catch statement, then no matter what, the names won't update in the expression (almost like AutoFixExpressions doesn't work if the expression contains a try/catch).

I'm not sure how I haven't encountered this before, as try/catches are useful just incase links are broken or are missing. I've posted this to Reddit, asking if this is a bug or a 'just…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. For the love of God fix the disappearing render que PLEASE

When compositions are open in the timeline, the render que disappears when pressing the render button. Why does this happen, it never used to until some iteration of CC...
    It's annoying, makes it hard to see the render progress and you CAN"T CANCEL A RENDER. We shouldn't have to close every timeline open to see a render happening.
    Pretty basic stuff Adobe, come on!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report. We are investigating a fix for this problem for a future update to After Effects.

The conditions under which this problem occurs had eluded us for a long time. Only recently were we able to observe the combination of factors that are required to cause this problem:
    - This happens on macOS only, not on Windows.
    - The After Effects UI is spread over multiple monitors.
    - The Render Queue panel is in a floating window outside of the main After Effects application window.
    - That floating window is on a different monitor than the main application window.
    - The Render Queue panel is docked in this floating window with either the Timeline or Composition panels.
    - When you start the render queue, a modal dialog (a progress dialog or a warning dialog) appears over the main application window.

When all of the…

18. BUG: JSON footage files do not auto reload when written by ExtendScript

If a valid json footage asset is imported into a project and used for Expression data in a layer, and it is subsequently overwritten by an ExtendScript process, After Effects CC 2019 will not auto-refresh the JSON footage item in the project nor in any layer referencing the JSON footage layer. Choosing "Reload Footage" on the json footage item does not seem to do work either — this this did work in CC 2018. However, if focus is removed from AE, and a different process opens and overwrites the source of a JSON footage item, then focus is returned to AE,…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this bug, Arie.

After an extensive back and forth with our developers, we’ve concluded that yes, there’s a bug here. We’ll need to investigate further what’s going on, but the problem appears to connected to the fact that it’s a script, being run by After Effects, that is updating the JSON file.

There was some confusion as to whether we’d expect this to work automatically, without manually calling the Reload Footage command (either in the script or via UI), but that the behavior changed between releases of After Effects tells us that something in the code changed and we should understand why.

19. Team projects should save a local version too.

Team Project cloud is very unstable, I lost days of work in Team Projects that simply got empty. A local cache would certainly have avoided that.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Team Projects in AE crashes every time you try and copy a PSD from one composition to another

I'm trying out team projects for the first time with 2 other animators. I created a master team project file that they are trying to incorporate their existing AEP files into. Each animator imported their old AEP files into the team project. They need to copy layers from their imported comps and paste them into compositions that I made in the team project. Every single time they hit command C to copy the layers from their imported projects, AE crashes and shuts down completely without warning. This was reproducible on different computers on different Adobe accounts. It also happened on…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base