After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement "System Layout" (as in Ai) in the Character's Panel

Using Adobe Fonts such as Source Han Sans seemed very tempting. But with Japanese, I've found that the self-contained space Japanese period and comma are supposed to have after them, disappears. Something similar happens with spaces which are way smaller than they should be.

Looking around I saw Adobe Illustration has an option named "System Layout" in the Character's Panel that by ticking it the issue gets automatically solved. It'd be great to implement this, and not only for Japanese but I'm sure it will be nice for Chinese and any other typeface with similar issues.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Insert or remove time at Current Time Indicator

Back in the Flash days, you've had put the current time indicator of a certain place in the timeline and hit F5 and it would insert frames and push everything after the current time indicator back in time. Hold shift F5 and it would insert 10 frames at a time, pushing everything back in time after the current time indicator. To me it's unbelievable that after effects has no support for inserting or removing time within a timeline. Many times I've had clients want to insert or remove something in a long complicated timeline, and it takes me the whole…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Paste Text Without Formatting

The ability to paste text from the clipboard without formatting (size, colour, font). Would help speed up workflow when copying titles etc from other text editors/word processors.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Just wanted to say thank you for Master Properties!

Just wanted to thank the AE dev team for implementing Master Properties. This is the killer feature we've all been waiting for.

I can say this will hopefully prevent me for trading in my hard won AE skills and turning to Nuke or Fusion. Something I was seriously considering.

I'm sure the devs are continually subjected to ranting, angry bug reports. I know I've written a couple.

Well it's time to say thank you. I complained. You listened and built a feature I actually need, that significantly improves the software.

Awesome job

You rock.

Alan

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. keyframe parenting

I would love to be able to keyframe the parenting option. Sometimes you need a layer to be the child only for a fration of the time, than be released and continue with it's own animation: for example a charakter that lifts a cup, trinks and than puts it back onto the desk where it slightly slides into it's restposition.
    This is just one of many possible options where it would be nice to keyframe the parenting option. Right now it is only possible via a bit of expressions or a 3rd party script that uses a workaround but it…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Light interface theme

Please add a light interface theme, like how photoshop has an option to set the "color theme" to light gray under "interface" > "appearance"

a brighter interface than the current slider allows would be greatly appreciated as it would be alot less straining on the eyes in daytime, even a full white background interface option would be very welcome

thank you!

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Gradient Along a Stroke of a Shape Layer

Would love to be able to make the stroke of a Shape Layer a gradient. Even if it was just a two-color gradient from one end to the other, that would be great. If it could be RGB and Alpha, even better! The gradient could be oriented from one end of the spline to another, or along the width of the stroke.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. AE keeps crashing since update

I did the update yesterday, everything worked fine, untill suddenly AE crashed. Since then it keeps crashing the moment I click on anything, no matter which project I open. I then get the following report:

<140735969784704> <BEE_WorkQueue> <5> BEE_Project::TimestampGetNext ZANZIBAR-3: cannot produce timestamp, frozen=0, open=0.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Toggle Show / Hide layer markers

Having a toggle Show/Hide layer markers would be great. To hide (and show) a cluttered layer marker timeline.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Change multiple compositions settings

Allow us to invoke the Composition Settings dialogue when multiple comps are selected in the Project Panel, and apply changes to all of them at once.

Parameters that have different values are denoted with a dash. For e.g. if you have selected 2 comps, 1 with Frame Rate set to 25, and one set to 30, the value shown is -

That value is still editable and the resulting change will set both comps to the new value.

If the value is left untouched, both comps will retain their individual settings.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. AE render files have wrong timestamp

When I render out of After Effects (.mov file in attached screenshot), it shows a timestamp of one day in the future. When I render out of Media Encoder (the mp4 file in the attached screenshot), it shows the correct timestamp. I can reproduce this error everytime.

My computer's date and time settings are correct, in the right timezone, and synced to update automatically.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make expressions independent from app language

Since effects have different names in different languages (eg "slider control") expressions often throw errors if they were created on an installation with a different language than your own installation.

As an example:
    Expressions I once created when I had AE set to German threw a bunch of errors when I loaded the project up after I changed the language to English, because the effect "slider control" is named differently in German.

This should not happen ... expressions should always work no matter the set language

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Option to hide guide layers when previewing

Sometimes, we only need guide layers when working in the comp, but not when previewing.
    A "hide guide layers" option in the preview panel would be very useful.

Also, an option to always hide guide layers from video feedback with mercury transmit would be logical, as what I want to see on the video control is the final image.

With an animation workflow using controllers which are guide layers, those two options would enable to check the animation without seeing the controllers, but having them to manipulate stuff when actually animating

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. A more robust way to call comps in expressions

As in expressions comp are called by their name once you duplicate or rename the called comp you break your expression. One solution to avoid that would be to enable something like the itemByID method that exists in scripts that allow us to call comps by a unique id that won't change whatever the user do, and please change the copy with relative link behavior so it uses this new method instead of calling the comp by its name.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Calculations, Channel Combiner, CC composite to be powered by GPU and 32 Bits per channel

Calculations is the merge tool in Ae why is it still not the most overused tool!?

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. A color panel

A simple panel with a color picker and some color swarches

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to import a single comp from another AE project

I'd like to be able to import a single comp from another AE project. I often work on projects where we keep a library of animated comps inside a "master" AE project. Whenever this gets updated, or I need to pull in a specific animation, I have two options:

1) Import the entire project and then go back through and delete what I don't need.
    2) Open the master AE project, save a new copy of it, reduce it to just the comp I need, open my target AE project, import the copy I just made, then go back and…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Give the ramp effect some love

The ramp effect is so basic. Sometimes it just doesn't cut it. Why don't you update it with some clever features similar to it's layer style cousin?

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base