After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use shapes or masks for text box

A way to customize the shape of paragraph text, similar to how you can have text fill a shape in other Adobe programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign.
    This would be an improvement over exporting from one of those programs into AE because you could then edit and/or animate the text easily.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Lock a composition's Work Area

My animation team as well as myself, have been begging for this feature for a really long time. We are constantly, accidentally clicking on our Work-Area bar, offsetting a couple of frames on a few occasions, and then sending for render, only to discover our opening fade in is half-way through it's transition, or our end is now too long and we have content disappearing.

We desperately would like to have the ability to right click on the work-area bar and select "lock". This would maybe put some strikethroughs over the range, similar to a locked layer in Premiere, do…

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add customizable tokens/properties to Render Queue

It would be extremely helpful to be able to define our own render tokens somehow. We often have very long and complex filenames that string together common elements like "Project Code," "Client Name," "Project Name," "Deliverable Name," "First/Last Initials," "Version Number", "Language"

It would be helpful to be able to define these somewhere in the AE project, perhaps as metadata, and then allow them to be used as render tokens/properties that can be used in the existing File Name and Location Templates.

Sure, we can manually enter this information ourselves when we go to render. We could also rename our…

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Modern 3D Realtime Engine (GPU) for VFX and Motion Graphics

After Effects finally needs a competitive 3D Realtime Engine (GPU) for 3D compositing and virtual workflows of the future. The Link to Cinema is too slow, complicated and unstable for simple 3D compositing tasks. So it needs something like "3D Elements" on steroids and native in AE.

Dranging some 3D Assets into AE, add some effects, tweak and light them, is a must have in 2022. Compositing, Motion Graphics and VFX are not only 2D/2,5D! - they happen now also in 3D and Realtime!

What this new real time 3D Engine needs:
    - 3D Geometry Support (import/export)
    - PBR Shaders…

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. New Shape Layer 'Expression Repeater'

How about a new type of Repeater for shape groups that looks pretty much the same as the existing one, except that values in it's Transform properties are not applied cumulatively, but rather have their expressions evaluated individually for every copy of the shape?

So if I add a random expression to the repeater's Position property, I get a bunch of randomly positioned copies. Ideally we'd get expression access to something like repeaterIndex (like textIndex in text layer expression selectors) but even without any new syntax it would be amazing. I can already imagine making a growing vine which automatically…

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. True Metal 2 support

In 2015 Adobe said that metal would have improved amazingly After Effects on Mac with 8x faster renders and previews. Now on the settings you can choose Metal instead of OpenCL, but for my results it is at best 5% faster. With Metal 2 released the performance improvement should have been evident but it isn't. It would be amazing if Adobe created an update with a good part of effects fully optimized for Metal (even if not all of them) like they demonstrated in 2015 and with the support of eGPU acceleration on the internal display. I think AE is…

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Improved UI responsiveness

The UI response is slower depending on amount of layers (even if layers as simple as a shape circle) ....and it also is greatly dependend on CPU clockspeed and screen resolution. Scrubbing line in the timeline jitters as if the program struggle to move a vertical line of UI without even updating the preview frames.

Example: Going from my 6 core 4.4GHZ machine to a 16 Core 3.8GhZ Threadripper GREATLY reduce the UX experience within the program, despite all other hardware being the same. And no other program has given me anything near the same slowdowns as AE.

The UI…

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Expression Editing Window

I just really want a separate Expression panel, like the effects panel, where I can write expressions, and see what I'm writing without having to resize the text box on the timeline every time.

Don't really care about coloured text or any of that other functionality. Just a simple text box.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Modify the Effects for Multiple Selected Layers - At Once

Cinema4D's Attribute Panel allows a user to select multiple layers, and modify various attributes that those layers share, at once. After Effects could certainly benefit from this. Could be extended to shape layer properties, etc.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Improve "inline" styling of text via Expressions

It would be great to not only be able to use the "getStyleAt()" method, but also implement something like "setStyleAt()" in order to style portions of the text separately.

It would also help to be able to chain different styles together. Right now, it's impossible to do proper text styling with different style types programmatically. It would be incredibly helpful, especially for Templates / MOGRTs.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Color picker or eyedropper picks incorrect color from CC Library AE2019

BUG report:
    Color picker or eyedropper picks incorrect color from color swatch in CC Library AE2019.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. svg import

SVG has become common for vector logos and graphics. After Effects can't work with them so I end up having to resave every single one individually from Illustrator.

I'd settle for a batch conversion utility (svg to ai). I've never been able to find one.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. underline

Text should have underline option

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. AE should remember effects layer inputs (like set matte) when copy/pasting layers. Currently need to manually reconnect after pasting,

This is how parenting works when you copy/paste a new set of layers. It creates parents relative to the new layers you've pasted. That is smart, now if only effects worked the same way! For some reason the default behavior on plugins is to revert the layer inputs on effects like “set matte” or “create nulls from paths” to the source layer that the effect is applied to after pasting.

I frequently use both of the aforementioned effects to make templates, and I'm constantly copy/pasting sets of template layers into new comps, but every time I do I have to…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. revamp the mesh warp

the whole distort family effects would need some love, but the mesh warp could be a super powerful tool if could :
    -have access to every points and tangeants positions
    -lasso select points
    -scale, shear, rotate the grid to affect only a part of the image
    -making it 3d
    -promote it to b 32bpc gpu accelerated
    -go beyond those request and make it a weapon of choice

to my knowledge this effect has been change only once to be able to move points with arrow keys...

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow markers in AE-created .mogrt files to be seen in Premiere

.mogrts are a great way to create stylized transitions and such, but the inability to add markers that are viewable within Premiere creates inconvenience when actually putting these into use. Being able to send an AE timeline marker back into Premiere within the mogrt would be hugely helpful!

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Preserve UI Layouts

One of the bigger frustrations I have with AE comes up when I open a project created by someone else, and the AE UI converts to THAT person's layout. I can think of 0 instances in which that would be of any use.

I know I can go to Window->Workspace and call my saved layout back up, but why should I have to? Please change this behavior.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Camera Lens Blur Effect : GPU Accelerated Please!

I use the Camera Lens Blur effect often, because it's awesome for creating realistic Depth of Field- when you plug a depth matt into it.
    This can be a Zdepth pass from a 3D renderer, or you can just paint one up in Photoshop to use on motion tracked matt painting work.
    Or mock up a simple instagram 'tilt-shift' treatment with a couple masks in a precomp (attached 4k example AE Project)
    It's the most sophisticated spatial blur in the AE toolbox, and it is super CPU intensive!
    Vote this up to get on the list of GPU accelerated Effects…

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Can't select straight shape layer lines in viewer/composition window

In the viewer window in after effects: I can't select shape layers that are straight lines. They can be diagonal, they can be square, but I cant select them in the viewer window if they are are a straight line. I've tried it on two other computers, and it's the same result. I've tried centering the anchor point. This makes it time consuming and difficult to animate certain scenes from illustrator.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/wjE7ePm.gif

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. String Expression Control

Not to be confused with the similar "Text expression control".

I just want an expression control that is a string.

Currently whenever we want to use a string like this we have to shove it into a textlayer and then it's textLayer.text.value.text or something because a textLayer value is a textDocument which has all the text attributes and whatnot

I just want a string. A simple character array.

Would simplify this textlayer workflow massively.

it doesn't even have to be editable in the effects panel (IMO, though I'm sure people would ask for it eventually)

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base