After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug - Opening projects that use 2020 drop-down menu expression controls (Pseudo dialog on startup)

I love the new drop down expression control effect in AE2020. Unfortunately though I have a bug on opening the project file. I get a dialog box similar to the attached screen grab for each instance I've used the drop-down menu as a master property. The code in the dialog changes for each instance.

For context, my project file features one precomp with a number of properties controlled by 3x dropdown menus on a control layer for colour, text option and positioning. That precomp is used in 5 other compositions, where using Master Properties I have used different drop down…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Compatibility issue - MacBook Pro 16 - AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB

I'm using a MacBook Pro 16 with AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB, and there appears to be a compatibility issue between AE and the graphics card. My composition window is completely distorted with horizontal lines running through it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Interpret footage bug

AE2020, Mac i7:

1. There is an asset in project encoded with Apple ProRes 422 LT movie with assigned profile HDTV (Rec. 709) 16-235.

2. This is incorrect so user selects Interpret Footage.

3. User sets color management to sRGB working space.

4. Closes and saves file.

5. Reopens file and the asset has gone back to the old profile again, HDTV (Rec. 709) 16-235!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. (BUG) Preview in after effects 2020 creates a "new" window.

When i try to preview my scenes a "new" preview window appears and is "off center" and it plays in real time with out lagging. Sometimes that new "window" is not even visible (depens on how much you have zoomed into the scene) adn the original workspace area is just static. I hope my screenshots makes the matter more clear, since it is hard to explain in words. Also, sliding the current time indicatior manually works - Then the "real" preview window is showing what it should.

Both screenshots is taken during preview. When preview is stopped everything looks normal

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Real-time playback improvement needed

When I try and load up a section of a composition to preview it doesn't play back smoothly even after it is cached.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. BUG: localeCompare() immediately crashes After Effects!

Typing localeCompare() into any expression immediately crashes After Effects!

This also occurs with the majority of autocomplete options for "locale".

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. BUG: TSV data no longer exporting .mogrt / read by Premiere

I no longer get a pop up warning me that AE is needed to run the .mogrt in Premiere with the TSV data...
    The data is no longer read in Premiere, which it was before the last "upgrade"
    Is there any troubleshooting tipd for TSV based expressions in mogrts?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back the link to opening finished renders in the Render Queue.

Bring back the link to opening finished renders in the Render Queue. In earlier versions clicking the link would open the file's location. This would be the text generated in the "Output to" field.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. AE cc2019 16.0.1 crashes when entering in a precomp

As the subject says When I double click to go to a precomp it crashes without any reason. I'm using windows 10.

I've downgraded to 16.0 and it seems fine.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. BUG - "Enable font size adjustment" in MOGRT does not work unless "...custom font" also selected

Testing the Essential Graphics /MOGRT workflow in CC19 apps, came across this bug. When creating a new template in After Effects, BOTH of these options (enable size and enable font selection) must be checked before exporting in order to enable font size adjustment. Just having the "enable font size adjustment" box checked by itself does not allow font size adjustment in Premiere; the box is there but nothing happens.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. After Effects Crash on .TGA import to comp. Also get better customer service that can actually answer questions regarding a specific product

Latest version of After Effects. Import a .TGA sequence fine. Import a single .TGA and After Effects crashes and requires I close the app. The .TGA sequence that imports fine is 8192 X 8192. The single .TGA is the same size. One crashes after effects the other does not. This BUG just showed up today after update. Additionally I attempted to contact support and was directed to a person that was reading from a web page trying to assist, zero experience with After Effects. We pay a monthy subscription and the only time I have ever contact Adobe about a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. apply color LUT strength slider

I use the "Apply color LUT" effect all of the time. However more often than not I need to adjust the strength of the LUT, so it would be very handy to have a "strength" slider build right into this plug-in.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

In the Timeline panel, every effect has a Compositing options section, which includes an Effect Opacity control. (This is also the set of controls you would use to add a mask to the effect.)

Does this do what you want for the Apply Color LUT effect? Or are you asking for a different result? If something different, please elaborate.

Update 4 Dec 2018:
    Based on your comment below, I’m going to close this as resolved. Glad the effect opacity control works for you.

14. Next/Previous frame

Don't know the exactly category for this, and I don't know if you have this function already and I was the one uncapable to find, but you should add some shortcut for moving from a frame to the other, without the mouse, like we have on Premiere: arrow left, arrow right.
    I know you already have a thing like this for Key Frames, but I'm saying it for every frame, cause sometimes I just want to add a Key next to the other and I need to zoom it all that I can to find the frame right beside it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Page Up and Page Down keys will move the current time one frame backwards or forwards in time.

If you are working on a keyboard without Page Up/Page Down keys, you can either:

• Hold the Command (macOS) or Control (Windows) key and press the Left and Right arrow keys.
    • Hold the Function key and press the Up and Down arrow keys.

Adding the Shift key will move the current time backwards or forwards 10 frames at a time.

There are other keyboard shortcuts for time navigation:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/keyboard-shortcuts-reference.html#time_navigation_keyboard_shortcuts

You can view or modify keyboard shortcuts by choosing Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.

15. Edit text from Photoshop file directly in After Effects

It would be great if after importing a Photoshop file you could edit the text directly in After Effects. This is a feature you can already do in Premiere Pro but would be great if you could do it in After Effects as well.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already possible. In After Effects, you can convert a Photoshop text layer into an After Effects text layer: right-click on the layer in the Timeline panel, then choose Create > Convert to Editable Text.

More information is here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-editing-text-layers.html#convert_text_from_photoshop_to_editable_text

If this functionality doesn’t meet your needs, please file a new request with more detail about how you’d like After Effects to behave with text in a PSD file.

16. Selected Puppet Pins in 2019 aren't hilighted in the viewer

In 2019, the position puppet pins and legacy pins do not display any differently in the viewer when selected. When the mouse button is held down to select one, it's possible to see which are selected, but once the mouse is released, the view looks as if none are selected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A change to the appearance of selected puppet pins was made in the October 2018 release of After Effects CC (version 16.0). Please see Joy’s comment on this page about the new appearance with the dot, and how to increase the size of the dot via the Path Point and Handle Size preference.

17. AE17.6 Codec fine - AE17.7 Codec error

1. AE17.6 -- I import footage from Sony PMW-F5 with codec AVC40962160_H422IP@L52 (no problems)

2. Save project

3. Upgrade to AE17.7

4. Same footage doesn't read - error.

5. Downgrade to 17.6 - footage is fine.

System: Windows 10 Pro

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. How can I get your help during this period?

I hope to develop a plug-in for stitching panoramic materials. How can I get your help during this period?

Elly

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. revert keyboard shortcuts for working with masks

Selection tool used to select all mask points with alt and add point with shift-alt, now you have to use the pen tool. why?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please update to the latest version of After Effects. As of today, 11 January 2021, the current public version is 17.5.1.

The October 2020 release of After Effects, version 17.5, did change the behavior of using the Option (macOS) or Alt (Windows) key to dynamically change the behavior of different tools. This was done to accommodate the improved 3D camera tools. In After Effects 17.5, when there are 3D layers present, holding Option/Alt while using any tool would switch to the Universal Camera Tool.

This behavior can be disabled via a new option: Preferences > 3D > “Activate Option/Alt – Left/Middle/Right mouse click for camera navigation”. This is on by default, and disabling this will restore the previous behavior of tools when there are 3D layers in your comp.

That said, the feedback we heard was that this new behavior in After Effects 17.5…

20. Bring back the unified camera tool

Why did you get rid of it in the first place??? We were used to it. It worked!

You added all these nifty camera tools, like orbit around cursor or scene. Which would be fine. Except I want to change something and now it doesn't work the way I'm used to. Like using my center mouse button, which was super useful.

So I have to spend time looking at your documentation. Which is TERRRIBLE by the way. It's super confusing and I don't understand which is the most like the old behavior.

Stop breaking things we're used to even if…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base