After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to mute Keyframes

In C4D you can 'mute' keyframes - essentially this acts like deleting the keyframe except that a dummy 'reference' key is left there, perhaps greyed out, that stores the value(s) and interpolations it had before it was muted. Keyframes to either side behave exactly as if it was not there, until it is un-muted.

83 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Update the way AE handles alphabetizing in the Project Window

Currently there is an unexpected behavior with how AE alphabetizes items in the project window. The addition of a character after numbers changes the order in a way that makes organization and renaming a challenge and sometimes a complete pain.
    Example:
    04-
    Above the dash will bring the 04- to the top. I'm told this is because numbers at the end are counted as numerals, but as soon as you add a non-number character after a number that number because a regular character. This seems to mean context plays a part in a character's value.

I would like…

82 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Interface is Slow and Laggy

Dear Adobe,

Me again.

Please stop everything that you're doing with the development of new bells and whistles and doodads and put all your resources and firepower into resolving the years-old issue of the Slow and Laggy Interface in After Effects. Seriously. It's been YEARS. I kept thinking, "ah, they'll fix it soon.." and hope for the best and I end up feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football every time a new update for After Effects comes out. "Maybe they fixed it!" And it's still not fixed.

When I contact Support I'm told, "the issue that you…

79 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Performance performance performance

There is no greater feature you can give us than performance. AE does not take great advantage of multi-core processors. Rendering is quite slow. Playback is slow compared to Fusion and other packages. While there are definitely improvements, it seems the focus at Max is always on new features.

AE has plenty for features through plugins and scripts. What I want from AE is a speed and stability.

A faster, more stable product will improve more workflow better than 1000 new features.

75 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Zoom To Work Area

How about a command that allows us to zoom the Timline to the exact in and out frames that the work area bar is set up to?

Right now we can tap the ";" key to Zoom in to Frame Intervals – how about Alt+; to trigger Zoom To Work Area?

68 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to quantize keyframes when time stretching with Alt key

Time stretching with the Alt/Opt key is a great way to quickly adjust the length of an animation, but it almost always leads to subframe positioning of keyframes. There are plenty of scripts out there to fix the results of this problem (I use KEYboard), but it would be great if we could avoid this problem all together by holding the Shift key after we start Alt+Dragging. Shift would be in line with the existing behavior of snapping keys to other keys, layer in/out points, and marke

64 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add smart guides, snapping & guides like in Illustrator

Illustrator has done it right.
    - dragging guides out of the rulers is easy
    - guides snap and show relations via smart guides
    - guides can be selected and moves via the keyboard & the position value can be easily adjusted in pixels
    - smart guides help when positioning and resizing layers
    - snapping helps to change the origin for the ruler
    - elements snap to guides

Its also an Abobe tool, so please copy this behaviour over. In comparison illustrator feels like a very old, outdated software, even though you obviously know how to do it right.

Cheers

64 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Mercury Transmit issue in 16.1

Just upgraded to 16.1 and I can no longer access my external monitor. Mercury transit automatically switches to "monitor 2" when I need it to stay on "monitor 1" even after I reset my preferences.

60 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Copy plugins and scripts to a newer AfterEffects version when I update

Whenever I update my Adobe applications I would like them to look in the script and plugin folders and copy them over to the newer Aftereffects scripts and plugin folder. If you want this to a creative cloud where in as the product is syncing everything at the least sync the old plugins and the scripts to the newer Aftereffects. Even if there are places where the plugins and scripts might break but I at the least I will know and contact the developers about it.

58 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Opt-out of the installation of Cinema 4D R21 when installing After Effects

Add a checkbox or something to allow users to opt-out of the installation of Cinema 4D R21 when installing After Effects.

I already have a valid perpetual license for Cinema 4D R19 Studio. R21 is pointless as it only allows me to use a trial license or purchase a license. The application is useless for those who already own a commercial license.

To make matters worse, I must uninstall it every time there is an update for After Effects. Quite frankly, I consider it bloatware. It useless and it wastes space on my hard drive.

I understand that there are…

57 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Updated Flowchart View

With the advent of Master Properties and Data-based footage, a refreshed Flowchart View would be a welcome update to help us manage the piping, parenting and referencing that is now possible with the bi-directional push and pull flows of information between Comps and Precomps.

This is NOT a request for node-based compositing, but rather a node-based viewpoint that can allow us to organize and unravel comps that can quickly become much more complicated.

57 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Revival of direct export of mp4 container h.2648(mp4コンテナh.264の直接書き出しの復活)

Please restore the mp4 (h.264 format) direct export feature that was possible in previous versions.

It is possible to send to and export from AME even under current conditions.I feel inconvenient because I can not give out what I was able to release freely.

In the current version with Ae's render queue function, it is easy for users to be able to export directly.

以前のバージョンで可能だったmp4(h.264形式)の直接書き出し機能を戻してほしい。

現状でもAMEに送り書き出すことは可能ですが、気軽に出せていたものが出せなくなり不便に感じます。Aeのレンダーキュー機能がある現行バージョンでは直接書き出しができる事がユーザーにとっては手軽です。

54 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bug: UI is glitchy and slow on high DPI monitors

I'm on Windows, using a UHD 4K monitor and running 175% display scaling.

After Effects scales the UI correctly, but the performance of the Timeline panel especially is atrocious. Merely trying to scrub the timeline is very laggy. There are also visual glitches, like vertical black lines, and the playhead not redrawing correctly when using J & K to move between keyframes (the playhead gets disconnected from the line in a redraw glitch). Even doing a RAM preview on a fully cached timeline causes frame drops.

If I use the Windows high DPI settings dialog to override the scaling behavior…

54 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. It´s 2018!!! - So we need a real 3D Engine/Workflow inside of After Effects!

8 years ago i asked here for a real 3D engine inside of After Effects to not loose ground against other compositing tools - my advice was to invest in Cinema4D. And yes, you did something like that but you made only a link between that tools - but that is by far not enough!!!

In 2018 even 399€ gimmick tools like "Hitfilm Express" have more advanced 3D engines than After Effects and therefor no one use After Effects in the movie-business anymore.

Its realy a shame that even beginners and hobbiest can´t do there simple 3D comps without an…

53 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. ESC to leave text editor, like in Ai, Ps, and iD

In Photoshop, Illustrator, and inDesign, you can leave the text editor with the ESC key. In some instances, it even switches to the move tool simultaneously. Typography is such a huge part of motion graphics so having the ability to edit and move text around quickly is incredibly valuable.

Right now, in AE, hitting ESC after editing a line of text undoes any changes. This is especially frustrating when I've spent time meticulously formatting and kerning characters and then all that work is gone in an instant. Command+Z doesn't bring it back!

I'm aware that Command+Enter will keep changes made…

52 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Edit/finishing timeline within After Effects.

I've use AE as a finishing tool for about 10 years and have finished thousands of commercials within in it with clients in the room. It has the potential to be a world class finishing system up there with Flame/Smoke/Nuke Studio. All it needs is an option for a new non-linear timeline much like what is found in Premiere and that plays back from disk as I mentioned here https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/35022373-disk-playback-instead-of-ram I see this as an addition to the layered timeline, not to replace it. It wouldn't need a ton of edit features just so long as we can drop traditional…

51 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Color Emoji support

We mock up tweets, Instagram and Facebook posts daily for our newsroom and color emoji fonts simply don't work in AE.

We have to go find each individual emoji as a PNG, import it manually and sync it up with our text animation.

Having emoji support would be a big deal for us. And I'd argue it's necessary in today's social media obsessed world!

51 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Node-based UI for effects.

A node based environment, should be implemented esp for basic tasks like applying the same effect to multiple layers, alpha mattes, value parenting (like the current pick whip in the expression options), Anything that you can currently do using an adjustment layer (but would be selective), I'm sure many more uses. You could use it in tandem with the layer system, but would be an easy way to do these kind of tasks without copying and editing multiple instances of the same thing.

51 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. copy paste keyframes of multiple layers at the same time

in Ae, you can't copy/paste properties of different layers at the same time, it will intuitively duplicate your layers as a result.

you can do this using scripts:
    https://aescripts.com/paste-multiple-keyframes/
    https://conigs.com/tools/key-cloner/

this should be native.

48 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Revert the icons to the multi-colored versions!

This is an Adobe CC wide issue but AE is where I notice it the most.

Please revert the icons to the multi-colored versions! It makes no sense to make them the same color when the "themes" break down beyond video and photo use. I used the colors to quickly locate the software I needed to open, now I have a taskbar full of purple and have to squint to tell which letters I am clicking on.

It seems like a very poor design choice that was likely made by the boardroom, not the creative team, and I beg you…

46 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base