After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Shape Layer Repeaters with Selectors (the kind in text animators)

Shape layers could really use some love. I propose that the same way we add selectors and properties to Text Layer animations, should be used for Shape Layer Repeaters.

Draw a square, repeat it 10 times, now add a range selector with position and scale. think of the cool mograph type effects you could create with that system, The best part, is that Shape Layers and Text Animators are practically cousins, so I don't think it would be to hard to implement.

Bonus would be to also have the same path options that Text layers have as well, imagined if…

155 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

11 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. align 3D layers

Align 3D layers. Distribute them, etc. That's it really.

154 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Cel Animation Workflow

Animate and Photoshop are great tools for cel animation but both lack the usability for modern motion design workflows that After Effects would provide. Adding support for photoshop-style raster animation in After Effects would bring this powerful technique into the right environment, and add features useful for unrelated workflows.

To solve this, I propose the addition of a new Frame Paint Effect, which would would enable a fast, non-parametric way to paint into an effect. It would work like this:

Photoshop brush engine
    - Painting pixels not strokes.
    - Focus on speed, quality and tablet pressure/tilt support, NOT editability.
    -…

150 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Folders in After Effects timeline

Timeline folders. We have them in Animate, Photoshop, Illustrator... precomps can utterly ruin your work and is NOT an alternatives to having a simple folder hierarchy - especially when dealing with shape layers or anything that requires continual rasterization.

141 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to mute Keyframes

In C4D you can 'mute' keyframes - essentially this acts like deleting the keyframe except that a dummy 'reference' key is left there, perhaps greyed out, that stores the value(s) and interpolations it had before it was muted. Keyframes to either side behave exactly as if it was not there, until it is un-muted.

140 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. eGPU (External Graphics) Support

The ability for After Effects to see and use an eGPU unit to take advantage of more GPU power.

140 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Scroll Past End - Vertical & Horizontal

Allow users to scroll past the end of the timeline - vertically. Right now you can only scroll as far as the last layer but if a timeline window is huge its a pain to only look at the bottom of the timeline to adjust your last layers.

Also, allow users to scroll past the beginning and end of the timeline - horizontally. Use negative timecode or different colors to indicate the beginning and end. Especially with character animation, it would be immensely helpful to slide layers past the beginning of the timeline, say 00:00:00:00, but still be able to…

134 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Multi-GPU support for Mercury engine.

Modern desktops & laptops often got more than one GPU. Currently there's no way to utilize more than one of them.

131 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Separate Dimensions on Scale Property

Allow the separation of dimensions for the Scale transform control. Just like Position does currently.

125 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please migrate the stuff we install properly

Revolutionary idea: Migrate all my scripts and presets to the updated version. It should not break every major update. All content gets left behind when the previous version is deleted, so why not migrate the scripts that I have installed automatically? It does so for all settings, but I keep having to reinstall my scripts and custom UI panels. Other way would be to have a folder somewhere that contains user scripts? Like in Documents/Adobe where there is already a folder?

121 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Opt-out of the installation of Cinema 4D R21 when installing After Effects

Add a checkbox or something to allow users to opt-out of the installation of Cinema 4D R21 when installing After Effects.

I already have a valid perpetual license for Cinema 4D R19 Studio. R21 is pointless as it only allows me to use a trial license or purchase a license. The application is useless for those who already own a commercial license.

To make matters worse, I must uninstall it every time there is an update for After Effects. Quite frankly, I consider it bloatware. It useless and it wastes space on my hard drive.

I understand that there are…

121 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Separate the timeline and the curve editor

It would be really helpful to be able to animate seeing both at the same time...

119 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I want to be able to bring photoshop and illustrator information as it is

Import Layer style, Adjustment layer, Appearance, text editing features from Photoshop and Illustrator when .psd and .ai files are imported to After Effects

イラストレーターやフォトショップからpsdやaiファイルを読み込む際に調整レイヤーやレイヤースタイルなどの情報をそのまま反映させるようにしてほしい

:例
    Ps
    ・調整レイヤー
    ・レイヤースタイル

Ai
    ・アピアランス

など

115 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Expression Console

Is there any way we can get a Chrome-like console for expressions? After a certain point, with a complex expression it becomes really hard to test for bugs as you have to basically run the same code on a text layer or some other property and rewrite the code just to get some sort of output for variables. Being able to have a console would be excellent (especially to inspect objects), but a great stopgap would be the ability to post a value to the info palette, like we can with scripting.

Expressions were already important, and with Master Properties…

114 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. smooth zooming via mouse

Instead of jumping in intervals when zooming, I'd very much prefer a smooth means of zooming to go along with the smooth panning we have. Its one of the experience pleasantries I have with other apps and wish it were in AE as well.

Its nice for when dealing with details. Roto, checking key edges, etc.

113 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Convert illustrator text layer to live text layers

by right clicking a photoshop layer you can have it become a live text inside AE please do the same for illustrator files

113 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Parent Layers in Time

The ability to have layers dynamically connect and interact with each other in the layers panel would tremendously increase productivity and save artists clicks. Specifically, the ability to lock layers in time with each other, parent layer in and out points. This would work really well in situations where you need to split a layer to get one part of it on top of the stack, but when you need to adjust it's in/out points afterward, you don't need to do it for each split that you've created.

A video example can be found here: https://vimeo.com/136890745

112 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Interface slowdown when using multiple expressions

Following up on Tim's request to post individual feature requests from Sander's site here....

http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/expressions#faster-interface

Expressions and coding are some of the most powerful tools AE animators have at their disposal, so the fact that using them has such a negative impact on performance is truly disappointing and counter-intuitive.

Sander:
    "The interface slows down drastically when applying lots of Expressions, Code allows us to easily create complex animations and connect values. This is the highest on my list of improvements that After Effects can make."

110 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Stop adding new features till the program works at an appropriate speed.

I'm tracking footage as I write this. the entire file is just a single 4k video with two trackers. my cache is on an ssd, and I run a 1070 and 6700k intel chip. not the best, I know...
    bit it worked fine on 6k anamorphic video in 2016 when I made it. so now I get to say:
    what the hell adobe. how did you mess this up so much, the moment you went subscription?

it's simple. after effects has become like 3DS max: buggy, cobbled together, filled with half-functional plugins, all with messy code and badly integrated, with…

109 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Lock Workspace

I think it would be useful to borrow the Lock Workspace feature from Photoshop for After Effects, esp with the wide use of so many scripts and CEP panels in many workflows. I accidentally pull off tabs or slide them around in my day-to-day use of AE, esp since I’m using a Wacom pen most of the time.

I’m sure there’s some wrinkles to consider, esp when switching Workspaces while locked - do you prompt with a pop-up or automatically switch it?

106 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base