After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rendering frames to DPX fails randomly prior to completion after the latest update, sits idle, must reset render options & click render -BUG

Updated to latest After Effects update on 4/6/19. Rendering is not reliable. Render creates a random number of complete DPX frames before ending prematurely and returning to a normal GUI working state. Programs does not crash, only the render stops and has to be set up again and the render button must be clicked again. Fails multiple times during the course of rendering 300 frames of DPX. Very high aggravation, factor please fix.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report. We need additional information before we can investigate this problem.

What OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3)

Do you receive any error messages? Is there a log file in the render output folder that indicates which frames were rendered or not?

Are you rendering via the render queue in After Effects with the UI open? Or are you using the command-line renderer, watch folder rendering, a distributed rendering solution, or other?

It may help if you provide us with a project file that demonstrates the problem (with the item queued and ready to render) and a screen recording of the problem in action. Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files,…

2. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for filing this bug report.

Can you please provide more detailed steps to reproduce the problem? I presume that by “vectorizing a child comp” you mean you’re enabling the Continuously Rasterize switch for the pre-comp layer, but I don’t want to assume. I also need clarification on which comp you’re referring to by “lengthen this comp”.

Perhaps you could provide us with a sample project in the “before” state and instructions or a screen recording of what to do that causes the problem. Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

4. Possible concatenation bug?

In After Effects, effect("Slider Control")(1).value + "string" can be used to join the number of a slider with a string.

Another way to do this is effect("Slider Control")(1).toString() + "string". Here, effect("Slider Control")(1).toString() returns the slider's value as a string.

However, effect("Slider Control")(1) + "string" always outputs an error.

How is this possible?

effect("Slider Control")(1).toString() clearly returns the slider's value as a string.

How come toString() is not run automatically when effect("Slider Control")(1) is concatenated with "string"?

According to the JavaScript Definitive Guide (https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/javascript-the-definitive/0596101996/re146.html):

"The JavaScript system invokes the toString( ) method to convert an object to a…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Pre-color layers

Instead of changing a color of a layer asset can we apply colors to assets in the project window? Or preset colors custom so that we can label these layers ahead of time instead of after dragging into a comp??

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Detect that an external hd is not plugged in and request that it gets plugged in

I added an external SSD HD to save cached files generated by After Effects as recommended by various sources to improve performance. However if I forget to plug it in, I get the error that I have attached from a screenshot.

Surely it would be far better to have an option of plugging in the hard drive at this point in time and then being able to point the launch process of After Effects to grab this folder. At the moment if I forget to plug in the HD all my cached files are lost and it is frustrating to…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug: "L" shortcut doesn't work until layer has been collapsed once

Structure: OuterComp>InnerComp>.wav file.
    When viewing OuterComp, the "L" Audio Levels shortcut key is unresponsive until I have collapsed OuterComp at least once. Once I've collapsed it, "L" works as expected whether Collapsed or Uncollapsed.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Grayed-out Layers

When you turn off a layer's visibility, the corresponding layer in the timeline should gray out - so you know it's off. Please! This would be a fantastic visual cue and help your productivity.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make Center in View do what it promises

'Layer/Transform/Center in View' seems to be a function that centers the selected Layer in the current view. But when zoomed in, this is not true.
    It centers the Layer in the middle of the Comp, not the view.

It would be great if it actually can center a Layer in the view: this makes it more easy to work on details, and position Layers in detail.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. After effects render slows down when using Spaces on Mac OSX

After effects render slows down when using Spaces on Mac OSX.
    When After effects renders and I move to another Space in MacOSX after a while it seems the render running in the background is slowing down significantly until I move back to the Space with After Effects. When I move back to After Effects the render immediately speeds back up to normal speed. Renders in the queue that take about 1 minute suddenly take more than 5 minutes when moving outside the After Effects Space.
    I'm not doing something demanding when I move outside the After Effects Space, mainly…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. move timeline with control + mouse wheel

As you can do in Premiere, that would be son handy, please add it

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bug Report: Bug when opening AE, start screen only showing spinning loading-circle (Win 10, AE2019 March)

Bug when opening AE on Win 10, start screen not showing any content besides spinning loading circle

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Color randomly the keyframes of time remap

Assign color to time-remap key-frames, based on the footage time, so is easier to spot loops and repetitions.
    I found that get confused with the time-remap is one the problems that makes redo work from scratch most often.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. implement live switching to windows for youtube streamers/game streamers etc.

(video) streamers need television quality switch capability for live streams, we also want to incorporate nice graphics and effects. Most of us already run computers with great graphics capability and often use two pc's to stream live . It would be great to create a piece of software that opperates as a fully functional television studio importing video effects live from plugin's and effects from pre-rendered or on the fly rendered after effects files. The dreamscape we could create for a live stream would be wonderful. notch a corner watermark to my feed while switching to a friend on the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Dear team pls develop Android app for after effects

Dear team
    pls develop Android app for after effects
    Best response your application
    Kindly do the needful
    Awaiting your reply
    From
    India Tushar Adsule

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Character text window: Replace 'Sample' text preview, with Custom user test text.

Some fonts need to be seen as they will appear with their designated text. Please provide a way to preview all fonts with custom tailored text.

if this is a resource hungry demand, then a one at a time font custom text will be fine too,

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Show audio waveform in the layer line, similar to Premiere

The ability to see audio waveform on a non-expanded layer would be great, similar to how it's shown in Premiere. It would mean the audio is more easily visible allowing you to line up other layers to the audio track and to find points or beats in music quickly. See the attached mock up. Thanks, Lee

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Mocha Export Data to Null Not Working

In AE 16.0.1 on Mac OS 10.13.6, 3.1GHZ macbook pro
    Successfully tracked object in mocha and created tracking data, however when I try to export the transform data onto a null, it only applies one set of keyframes at the start of timeline. Experiencing the same when applying corner pin data and motion blur corner pin data. Tried applying to a solid instead of a null and that did not work either.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. ADD LEFT-TO-RIGHT-SUPPORT

Just do it already! Many of us been waiting patiently for for this feature that takes just about F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Don't search what to add on to any of your software's until you give users basic-typing-capabilities within your software.

1.It hinders productive time when having to use 3rd party tools to convert text to the right direction.

1. any mistake in the text, just takes, you've got it! MORE TIME TO CORRECT.

2. It's basic. L-a-n-g-u-a-g-e. make every ADOBE software COMPATIBLE!

3. Year 2020. We've waited long ENOUGH from October 1995.

Just do it already!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

Right-to-left text support was added to After Effects 14.2 (June 2017 release; current version is 16.0.1).

Details on how to change text direction is here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-editing-text-layers.html#change_the_direction_of_text

If there is additional functionality for text direction support that you’re looking for, please provide specifics.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base