After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hitting PP on a Layer Opens Up Position AND Separates Dimensions!!! OMFG YES!

I beg of thee. This would be epic and incredibly helpful. It would speed up workflow. The peasants would rejoice. *shuffles backwards with head bowed

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Render Que searchable

Would be very useful for finding what comp rendered a particular mov, especially when going back into old projects for revisions.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Developer Tools Menu in AE

I am new to scripting and coding so please take this with a grain of salt. But, I have been watching some web development training on Linkedin Learning and the FXphd AE Script training. It seems to be a great feature if AE would be able to have a developer mode so you can use tools similar to web broswer developer tools. Say you mouse over an item and it gives you an ID or tells you if it is an AVItem etc. Might make figuring out what items can be coded more visual. Make tools more artist friendly would…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Effects that uses Layer Sources

Effects that uses Layer Sources should not only have the option "None", also "Itself" should be a standard list item.

When copy pasting effects, you don't need to re-reference the effect to itself

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SET MATTE & USE MASK FROM LAYER: MASK doesn't work

[BUG] when trying to mask a layer with itself via SET MATTE,
    the option USE MASK FROM LAYER: MASK doesn't work when u set as source the layer itself.

BUT when you use SET CHANNELS it works.

the SET MATTE effect u reworked couple of years ago
    is STILL NOT WORKING AS EXPECTED

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bring it back : press Enter to Start Render Queue

Hi there,
    For many years, I used to press Enter on my keyboard to start the Render Queue... But since a couple of versions (maybe since AE CC2015?), this convenient shortcut mysteriously disappeard.
    So I've been using this little workaround : add a " "StartRenderQueue" = "(Enter)" " line in the " ["CPanoRender"] " section of AE's shortcuts file.
    But this does not work anymore since AE CC2018 on PC (Win10Pro)... Worked for a couple more versions on a Mac (OS X Sierra).
    I'm a little confused... And wondering why this can't be done in AE's new visual editor for…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Input number for layer referencing

When you go to an effect like displacement map that needs to reference to a layer existing in the comp, we currently do so by selecting the layer from a drop down menu.
    For big projects with 200+ layers this becomes quiet time consuming and irritating to go all the way down the list!
    I suggest we put in the ability to input layer number for faster input.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Auto save should ALWAYS work - CC 2020

If I set my autosave to activate every 20 minutes, then I should see an autosave file every 20 minutes. But that just doesn't seem to be the case.

Does it only activate if a manual save hasn't been triggered in over 20 minutes? Because if so, it's very shortsighted and risky! If I make a manual save it's because I want to save the work I'm doing right at that moment. Autosaves, on the other hand, are for going back to past stages of the project.

I shouldn't have to worry about autosaves not activating, just because I'm being…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. pop up windows when common shortcut keys pressed

When a short cut key is pressed, let's say R, a small pop up window must appear close to the working area to change to rotation value, so it will be not necessary to go down to timeline and look for a tiny line to see the R to change the value. How come it is not done till now?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Effect lost while dynamic linking from Premiere

When creating dynamic link comps from Premiere (Right clicking > Replace with After Effects Composition), any clips that have the "Horizontal Flip" effect applied lose the effect in After Effects; and what's worse is that the effect just disappears and doesn't show as a missing effect or give a warning. That means that if you've applied the effect in Premiere, there's no easy way to see if it's lost in the dynamic link creation process (especially if you're just given the AE file without context). It can be very time consuming finding and fixing this issue across large projects, especially…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. set matte

I have great idea for something that's been lacking for a long time - how about your team implement the basic features people have been requesting for years rather than relying on flashy new features that make for good marketing. I think this would be a something to really think about for future releases so that long-term users like me aren't constantly googling "After Effects alternatives" and looking longingly at how free programmes like Blender listen to the community.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Grid subdivisions uses way more performance as it should

After Effects CC 2020 (ver. 17.0.5)

For example: Using a grid line every 10px is better performing than a grid line every 40px with a subdivision of 4.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. masking function for brush tool

I suggest to add back the masking function for brush tool. It is much easier to do masking instead of pen tool.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Null object should already connected

Null object should already connected...

At the time of linking multiple layers with a Null object, If we select those layers>right click>new>Null object, the Null object should come with connecting those layers already...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. VR converter bug?

When using Fisheye from 2D with VR converter, layers disappear.
    I can avoid this by moving the layer one pixel or more.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Occasional 1 pixel edge bleed bug

I've recently noticed a bug in AE. Occasionally there will be a 1-2 pixel edge bleed despite everything being properly sized and positioned and extending to or, in the case of the first screenshot, beyond the edge of frame. In case of the first screenshot, the bleed does go away when I continually rasterize the layer, but that's not always a workable solution. That one is an AI layer, natively sized to the comp and in its original position, so I shouldn't need to continually rasterize to have a clean edge to the frame. The second screenshot shows a white…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Slow GUI and preview. aep causing BUG attached

I'm having this problem since the first release of AE 2020 (still bad in 17.0.5). The comp preview in attached "issue.aep" file is ridicilously slow. Every action requiring redrawing UI takes a lot of time and strongly loads CPU - impossible to work. "Hardware Accelerate ... Panels" option doesn't do any change. This project has many Shape Layers with Trim Paths and Fill Colors animation but works FINE and pretty fast on my machine in previous versions of AE (2019 for example).

My system: Windows 10.0.18363 Pro, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming, i7-9700K, 32 Gb DDR4 3466 Mhz Dual-channel, Samsung SSD…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. after waking iMac pro from sleep. if after effects was left open, the mouse position is not correct inside after effects.

after waking imacpro from sleep. if after effects was left open, the mouse position is not correct inside after effects. Example, if I try to click on a comp or asset in project window. After effects thinks that I am clicking about 2 inches below that area. is fixed with closing and restarting program.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add spanish captions in tutorials

The online official tutorial has captions in chinese, english, francais, deutsch and two oriental languages more. Please add spanish.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base