After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tapered Strokes

And generally more interoperability with Illustrator and support for the SVG standard

234 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Separate Dimensions on by Default

Add a toggle in Preferences for users to default to Separate Dimensions enabled rather than something that needs to be turned on for every object.

It could fit really well right underneath "Default Spatial Interpolation to Linear" in the General Preferences tab :)

177 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Zoom To Work Area

How about a command that allows us to zoom the Timline to the exact in and out frames that the work area bar is set up to?

Right now we can tap the ";" key to Zoom in to Frame Intervals – how about Alt+; to trigger Zoom To Work Area?

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Updated Flowchart View

With the advent of Master Properties and Data-based footage, a refreshed Flowchart View would be a welcome update to help us manage the piping, parenting and referencing that is now possible with the bi-directional push and pull flows of information between Comps and Precomps.

This is NOT a request for node-based compositing, but rather a node-based viewpoint that can allow us to organize and unravel comps that can quickly become much more complicated.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Node-based UI for effects.

A node based environment, should be implemented esp for basic tasks like applying the same effect to multiple layers, alpha mattes, value parenting (like the current pick whip in the expression options), Anything that you can currently do using an adjustment layer (but would be selective), I'm sure many more uses. You could use it in tandem with the layer system, but would be an easy way to do these kind of tasks without copying and editing multiple instances of the same thing.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Swap Footage Source with Essential Graphics/Master Properties

We should be able to create a photo or footage layer as a "placeholder" and replace the source of the layer with photo/footage after creation.

This is really the only thing keeping me from using mogrts in projects, I need the ability to change keyframed photos and footage used in the template.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. rework the whole 3d space

Working in the 3d space of AFX is such a pain! Often I try to avoid it or look for workarounds(someimtes using C4d to set up cameras and lights to than pass it over to AFX just to not have to navigate it in AFX)

It is not easy to navigate the 3d space as it doesn't use industry standart shortcuts to start with.
    In addition it is so hard to grab these little 3d widget handles. I constantly select another layer when I try to move the one I focus on. If we would have the option to restrict…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ESC to leave text editor, like in Ai, Ps, and iD

In Photoshop, Illustrator, and inDesign, you can leave the text editor with the ESC key. In some instances, it even switches to the move tool simultaneously. Typography is such a huge part of motion graphics so having the ability to edit and move text around quickly is incredibly valuable.

Right now, in AE, hitting ESC after editing a line of text undoes any changes. This is especially frustrating when I've spent time meticulously formatting and kerning characters and then all that work is gone in an instant. Command+Z doesn't bring it back!

I'm aware that Command+Enter will keep changes made…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please bring all OpenType features to After Effects

Typography is an important part of many animations. With the great amount of options designers have with OpenType-Fonts every aspect of a font should be accessible in a modern animation software.

Please add all OpenType-Options as seen in the Photoshop Character Panel to be natively accessible in After Effects.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Automatically remove AME folder after render

Automatically remove AME folder after render.

Now when exporting from AE to Adobe Media Encoder, the folder get polluted by AME-folder.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. PhotoJPEG Quicktime Support

Every studio review we have requires us to submit photoJPEG quicktimes as VFX dailies alongside our Avid and EXRs. Would be nice to have so I dont have to script a solution with ffmpeg.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Open EXR timecode

Now that HDR is all the rage, we need better EXR support:
    - import timecode from an EXR sequence, right now only writing timecode works during export. All imported sequences come in with a 00:00:00 timecode :/
    - support for EXR specific metadata
    - EXR in AE is still slowest in the industry. By my test it's 3x times slower than Nuke, and 8x times slower than Blender!!!. Come on, it's an open source program, just steal their importer ;)
    - Can we set a default action to "interpret as linear light"? Right noe all EXRs always get in as…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Link media like Premiere Pro

The way AE link media is annoying, we have to look for the file manually while Premiere do it automatically.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Import layer transfer modes from Illustrator

It would be great if the transfer modes from illustrator layers would be reflected when the .ai file is imported into After Effects.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Create Layer Groups

I would like to be able to group layers, similarly to in Photoshop or Illustrator.

Creating small groups of objects without the need for making them into a comp first would be very helpful.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. cryptomatte for after effects

So we're doing complex 3d compositing of a new cartoon and just got into some issues by not having the ability to read the cryptomatte, not urgent but still would be a nice addition.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. "Protect" setting for project items so they're ignored by Reduce Project

I'd like to have a setting where I can tell After Effects to ignore certain project items when I reduce my project. Especially when using data formats as footage items it's often that a jsx, json, or csv file gets thrown out when either reducing the project or sending to AME (which triggers a reduce). That wouldn't be a problem if I had a way, other than dragging more layers into my comps, of tell in AE not to throw something away.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. More advanced 3D Tracker

After Effects needs a 3D tracking tool were we can help the algorithmen in a advanced mode.

-Set relations between points (distance, line, flat surface ect.)
    -Lens distortion
    -Object-tracking
    -Export/Import to other applications.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
  • Don't see your idea?

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base