After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Full program multi-threaded support

After Effects would benefit greatly from being able to actually utilize all cores when rendering, rather than having to rely on a third party solution, like the excellent program Render Garden by Mekajiki.

929 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

377 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everybody!

(This post was co-authored by Tim Kurkoski (After Effects Product Owner), Andrew Cheyne (After Effects Engineering Manager), and Victoria Nece (After Effects Product Manager).)

This thread has been sitting here for quite a while without a response. To start, we want to apologize for that. We haven’t been ignoring you or your feedback – this is just a particularly complex topic. That said, it’s time for us to check in with you, clarify a few things, and give you an idea of what we’re looking at for the future of After Effects, especially when it comes to performance.

To start, we fully understand that you want After Effects to be as fast as it can be – utilizing your computer’s hardware resources to render as fast as possible. Over the last several years, we have been working on the performance of After Effects constantly. Sometimes those performance gains…

2. GPU should be used more especially when using shape in animations.

GPU should be used more especially when using shape in animations.

GPU utilization too low while working.I want you to use about 80% of the whole.

GPUの使用率が低すぎるので70~80%ぐらいは常に使う様に処理を改善して欲しい。現状ではかなり使用率が低すぎる。

223 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Disk playback instead of RAM,

I get that 20 years ago hard drives weren't the quickest and there was a limited choice in codecs so it made sense to playback from RAM. But now we all have SSDs and DNxHR exists I don't get why AE has not been re-written to playback straight from a hard drive rather than moving it into RAM first. It would be great for AE to playback from disk with a choice of codec and bit depth dependent on a users needs and system capability, much in the way that Resolve does with smart cache (see pic). Uncompressed I gather…

175 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Multi-GPU support for Mercury engine.

Modern desktops & laptops often got more than one GPU. Currently there's no way to utilize more than one of them.

122 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Interface slowdown when using multiple expressions

Following up on Tim's request to post individual feature requests from Sander's site here....

http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/expressions#faster-interface

Expressions and coding are some of the most powerful tools AE animators have at their disposal, so the fact that using them has such a negative impact on performance is truly disappointing and counter-intuitive.

Sander:
    "The interface slows down drastically when applying lots of Expressions, Code allows us to easily create complex animations and connect values. This is the highest on my list of improvements that After Effects can make."

84 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. eGPU (External Graphics) Support

The ability for After Effects to see and use an eGPU unit to take advantage of more GPU power.

84 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bits per pixel depth appied per comp vs globally

It would be great to have pixel bit depth editable on a per comp basis rather than a global project-wide preference. This would be similar to the preference to appoint different 3D renderers and color spaces to comps.

39 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. True Metal 2 support

In 2015 Adobe said that metal would have improved amazingly After Effects on Mac with 8x faster renders and previews. Now on the settings you can choose Metal instead of OpenCL, but for my results it is at best 5% faster. With Metal 2 released the performance improvement should have been evident but it isn't. It would be amazing if Adobe created an update with a good part of effects fully optimized for Metal (even if not all of them) like they demonstrated in 2015 and with the support of eGPU acceleration on the internal display. I think AE is…

34 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Can't select straight shape layer lines in viewer/composition window

In the viewer window in after effects: I can't select shape layers that are straight lines. They can be diagonal, they can be square, but I cant select them in the viewer window if they are are a straight line. I've tried it on two other computers, and it's the same result. I've tried centering the anchor point. This makes it time consuming and difficult to animate certain scenes from illustrator.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/wjE7ePm.gif

32 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Camera Lens Blur Effect : GPU Accelerated Please!

I use the Camera Lens Blur effect often, because it's awesome for creating realistic Depth of Field- when you plug a depth matt into it.
    This can be a Zdepth pass from a 3D renderer, or you can just paint one up in Photoshop to use on motion tracked matt painting work.
    Or mock up a simple instagram 'tilt-shift' treatment with a couple masks in a precomp (attached 4k example AE Project)
    It's the most sophisticated spatial blur in the AE toolbox, and it is super CPU intensive!
    Vote this up to get on the list of GPU accelerated Effects…

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Bug: UI is glitchy and slow on high DPI monitors

I'm on Windows, using a UHD 4K monitor and running 175% display scaling.

After Effects scales the UI correctly, but the performance of the Timeline panel especially is atrocious. Merely trying to scrub the timeline is very laggy. There are also visual glitches, like vertical black lines, and the playhead not redrawing correctly when using J & K to move between keyframes (the playhead gets disconnected from the line in a redraw glitch). Even doing a RAM preview on a fully cached timeline causes frame drops.

If I use the Windows high DPI settings dialog to override the scaling behavior…

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improved UI responsiveness

The UI response is slower depending on amount of layers (even if layers as simple as a shape circle) ....and it also is greatly dependend on CPU clockspeed and screen resolution. Scrubbing line in the timeline jitters as if the program struggle to move a vertical line of UI without even updating the preview frames.

Example: Going from my 6 core 4.4GHZ machine to a 16 Core 3.8GhZ Threadripper GREATLY reduce the UX experience within the program, despite all other hardware being the same. And no other program has given me anything near the same slowdowns as AE.

The UI…

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Choosing which GPU is used by Mercury Engine

Currently Mercury Engine automatically use GPU that is used for display (one that is connected to a monitor). I wish it would be possible to accelerate effects with other GPU, not one that is used for displaying things on the monitor.
    IMHO it would save some VRAM for OpenCL/Metal purposes, since second GPU would not have to store video buffer.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. BUG: Undo not updating viewer window until move viewer or zoom

When you undo currently then the viewer doesn't update. The bounding box of what has been undone moves into place but the image doesn't update until you move or zoom into the image

Running AE 16.1

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. AE CC 2019 Speed on Mac

Just updated to After Effects CC 2019 V16.0.0. MacOS High Sierra, latest iMac with enough of RAM and supported GPU. Preferences resetted. CC 2018 works like charm without speed problems.
    Anybody else experiencing a total slowdown of the UI with the new AE version?
    Everything feels like frozen and AE is practically useless.
    Sorry, cannot work with this. Returning back to CC 2018.

If this is not a general fault, any bright ideas what to do? Please...

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. better handling of large illustrators files

Large (pixel wise) illustrator files take forever to preview the first time you open it in your comp, I don't recall it being that long I would say prior to CC2015 please take a look at it

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. After Effects brush bug

After Effect's pen pressure for the brush isn't compatible with the latest Wacom tablet drivers. I've seen this topic a lot in the Adobe forums, but it seems that Adobe has not yet addressed this issue.

In the attached picture I've selected Brush 19. When Size is set to Pen Pressure (as in the photo), I can only draw those very thin and almost invisible lines on the left. When the Size is set to Off, I can only draw those two thicker lines in the middle. This seems to be a common issue in AE with no fix yet,…

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. provide multi-threaded support for tracking

tracking 4k footage using the tracker is very slow regardless of core count. give aftereffects the ability to utilize the rest of the machine's resources.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. bring back brainstorm.

the little button that makes things.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make cache playback work with UI scaling in Windows 10

When any scaling other than 100% is set in Windows10, cache playback will never hit realtime, although its reading from a cache SSD, like in my case. This is really annoying.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base