After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Preview window stuck in bottom right corner

Using After effects 2020 on a iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011). The preview window is stuck down in the right corner. Can only see half of it.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. HEVC GPU DECODING ON WINDOWS

Please make HEVC GPU decoding available on windows 10 machines

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Renaming things updates them in expressions, unless there is a Try/Catch expression involved

I have an expression that links to another layer. When you update a Layer name or Property name, then that name is updated in all the expressions that use that name (Extendscript calls this autoFixExpressions).

However, if an expression contains a Try/Catch statement, then no matter what, the names won't update in the expression (almost like AutoFixExpressions doesn't work if the expression contains a try/catch).

I'm not sure how I haven't encountered this before, as try/catches are useful just incase links are broken or are missing. I've posted this to Reddit, asking if this is a bug or a 'just…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Submitting a bug which continually crashes After Effects

I have discovered a bug in After Effects. Here you have a few very simple comps nested inside each other - no matter that happens, when I double click on ShieldShoppingBag comp and try to interact with ANYTHING inside the comp, timeline, layers etc, AE crashes without warning. Please look into this and fix!

macOS Sierra
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Adobe After Effects CC
    Version 16.0.1 (Build 48)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. For the love of God fix the disappearing render que PLEASE

When compositions are open in the timeline, the render que disappears when pressing the render button. Why does this happen, it never used to until some iteration of CC...
    It's annoying, makes it hard to see the render progress and you CAN"T CANCEL A RENDER. We shouldn't have to close every timeline open to see a render happening.
    Pretty basic stuff Adobe, come on!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report. We are investigating a fix for this problem for a future update to After Effects.

The conditions under which this problem occurs had eluded us for a long time. Only recently were we able to observe the combination of factors that are required to cause this problem:
    - This happens on macOS only, not on Windows.
    - The After Effects UI is spread over multiple monitors.
    - The Render Queue panel is in a floating window outside of the main After Effects application window.
    - That floating window is on a different monitor than the main application window.
    - The Render Queue panel is docked in this floating window with either the Timeline or Composition panels.
    - When you start the render queue, a modal dialog (a progress dialog or a warning dialog) appears over the main application window.

When all of the…

6. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. BUG: JSON footage files do not auto reload when written by ExtendScript

If a valid json footage asset is imported into a project and used for Expression data in a layer, and it is subsequently overwritten by an ExtendScript process, After Effects CC 2019 will not auto-refresh the JSON footage item in the project nor in any layer referencing the JSON footage layer. Choosing "Reload Footage" on the json footage item does not seem to do work either — this this did work in CC 2018. However, if focus is removed from AE, and a different process opens and overwrites the source of a JSON footage item, then focus is returned to AE,…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this bug, Arie.

After an extensive back and forth with our developers, we’ve concluded that yes, there’s a bug here. We’ll need to investigate further what’s going on, but the problem appears to connected to the fact that it’s a script, being run by After Effects, that is updating the JSON file.

There was some confusion as to whether we’d expect this to work automatically, without manually calling the Reload Footage command (either in the script or via UI), but that the behavior changed between releases of After Effects tells us that something in the code changed and we should understand why.

8. 8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stroke and Cinema 4D render

When a stroke is applied to a shape on a 3D layer and the Cinema 4D renderer is selected, when trim paths is used the width of the stroke changes. When the Classic 3D renderer is used, this does not happen.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for filing this bug report, and for sending us the project file.

Our engineers are examining the problem. Regarding the project you sent, they gave this feedback:

This problem is independent of using Trim Paths.

The problem can occur with shapes or text converted to Shapes, as in the provided project. With the CINEMA 4D renderer the Shape stroke width does not match the Classic 3D renderer – there is both a stroke symmetry shift around the path, and size can vary as well.

The stroke mismatch is typically quite small. However, the provided project has Transform > Scale set to over 300%, thereby exaggerating the problem.

To work around this you could avoid using a large scale value on the shape layer. Adding scale per shape path almost eliminates the problem visually, but is impractical to do for each shape.

Another workaround could be to maybe prep the…

10. Home panel has cut content

Home panel has cut content and it doesn't change when resizing the window.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

This is a known problem that we are investigating for a future update to After Effects. The problem happens when you migrate preferences from an earlier version of After Effects.

If you reset the preferences for After Effects (hold Command/Ctrl + Alt/Option + Shift during application startup), this problem will go away.

11. Pasting from Premiere bug - Duration change and no "Paste At Current Time"

Being able to paste from Premiere into After Effects is awesome, but there is a bug when pasting footage/audio from the Premiere timeline into an already existing composition in After Effects. The After Effects composition will automatically change duration without your input and it won't respect "Paste At Current Time". Do this to re-create the problem.

• Create a new After Effects comp, either from Premiere's "Replace With After Effects Composition" feature, or an independent project. Make it something like 10 seconds.

• Copy any footage or audio clip from a Premiere timeline into an After Effects composition. But make sure the…
    4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Crash-related CRLOGS-Files fill up OS-drive

The latest AE Version is dumping huuuuge CRLOG-Files on the OS-Harddrive after crashing (which as everybody knows happens quite a lot).

The Files can reach 20-35gb each. These files are meant for UPLOAD and this is unacceptable.This concerns workflow AND data-privacy. ADOBE just wanted to upload 120gb of my data to their servers from my workstation. This is NOT acceptable.

WHAT ARE YOU UPLOADING THERE ? This is way more than just Crashlogs !!!

And this is blocking my OS, my upload-feed and slows my system down.

This is a perpetuum mobile of ****: AE crashes all the time, then…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report. We are investigating the problem.

You can safely delete the CRLOG files from your system. These are crash log files that are supposed to be automatically deleted.

You can change your Adobe crash report preferences from within any Adobe application by choosing Help > Adobe Crash Reporter.

Edit: Can we contact you for more information, via the email address you used when you filed this report? Thanks.

13. Team projects should save a local version too.

Team Project cloud is very unstable, I lost days of work in Team Projects that simply got empty. A local cache would certainly have avoided that.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. AE CC 2019 Speed on Mac

Just updated to After Effects CC 2019 V16.0.0. MacOS High Sierra, latest iMac with enough of RAM and supported GPU. Preferences resetted. CC 2018 works like charm without speed problems.
    Anybody else experiencing a total slowdown of the UI with the new AE version?
    Everything feels like frozen and AE is practically useless.
    Sorry, cannot work with this. Returning back to CC 2018.

If this is not a general fault, any bright ideas what to do? Please...

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ellipse Path Closing with Trim Paths

There seems to be a bug when working with parametric ellipse paths in tandem with trim paths.

It only seems to occur when the Start or End properties in the trim path are set to 50%, while the other is set to 0%. I've attached a couple videos for reference.

When the ellipse path position is adjusted the ellipse path will occasionally close itself, resulting in an unwanted half-circle. The half circle is a result of the Start property set to 0%, and the End property set to 50%. However, when the values are swapped (Start: 50%, End: 0%) it…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Characters like á and é and ö can't be text linked with .JSON data driven compositions

Please fix this!

Characters like á and é and ö can't be text linked with .JSON data driven compositions. I need this asap!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Team Projects in AE crashes every time you try and copy a PSD from one composition to another

I'm trying out team projects for the first time with 2 other animators. I created a master team project file that they are trying to incorporate their existing AEP files into. Each animator imported their old AEP files into the team project. They need to copy layers from their imported comps and paste them into compositions that I made in the team project. Every single time they hit command C to copy the layers from their imported projects, AE crashes and shuts down completely without warning. This was reproducible on different computers on different Adobe accounts. It also happened on…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please implement project cloak!

Hey guys! Almost a year ago you had Project Cloak in development:
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/19/adobe-max-cloak-smart-erase-sneak

But we haven't heard anything else from this. Will we get it?.
    Content aware removal is really handy.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Super annoying bug - missing layers in timeline

Experiencing a particularly annoying bug; timeline shows only 43 out of about 260 layers. Yet preview will scrub and playback full project. So I can watch the full project, I just can't access or see most of the layers.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report, and for including the project.

I do reproduce a problem when I open this project on my computer. After layer 964, the layer bars (the bars representing the time span of the layer) do not draw. If I delete or shy some of the layers, the missing layers will draw.

This appears to be a bug with After Effects drawing that many layers at once. I have forwarded this bug to our developers for evaluation.

In the meantime, I would recommend any or all of following to work around this problem:
    - Shy the layers that you are not currently working on.
    - Pre-compose groups of layers to simplify the composition, or:
    - Otherwise re-organize this composition by breaking it into smaller compositions with fewer layers.

The above steps will help not only with working around this bug, but will make the composition…

20. Restore the full support of the Animation Codec

In the 15.1 release After Effects removed the support for the Animation Codec with delta frames. It continues to support the Animation Codec without delta frames. This is an option within the codec window to set keyframes and it is checked by default. I would ask that both the non-keyframe and the keyframe option in the Animation codec be restored. Many of us 3D animators use the codec in it's default mode (delta enabled) and it would be very time consuming to transcode all out work. Thanks

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

We have logged an internal feature request for adding support to the Animation codec for both encoding and decoding delta frames (a.k.a, the “Key frame every X frames” option). It is currently under review for future updates to the Adobe DVA products. At this time I can not share a timeline for when this might happen.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base