After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. There is an issue with Advanced Lightning

I wanted to parent the position of a PNG to the Advanced Lightning effect’s “direction” of strike. However when I try to, I get an error saying that Advanced Lightning HAS no “direction” attribute. I used the pick whip to parent, dragging the PNG’s position to the “direction” in Advanced Lightning. I don’t know if this matters, but I’m using the “two way strike” preset.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expressions with posterizeTime fail to posterize if expression returns a property directly

AE Version: 17.6.0 (Build 46)

Reproduction Steps:
    - Create a New Project
    - Add a new layer
    - Animate the position property with keyframes
    - Apply the following expression to position:
    posterizeTime(6); transform.position

Expected Behavior:
    Position animation is posterized.

Actual Behavior:
    Position animation is not posterized.

Additional Notes:
    The failure to posterize only occurs in cases where the expression returns a property directly. For instance, the following expression...

posterizeTime(6); transform.position + [0, 0]

... does correctly posterize the position animation, despite the fact that it should be returning an identical result. This can be seen in my first example AEP…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The AE import window natively opens so

The native size of the AE import window is very tiny. I can barely see 4 vertical rows of folders on my local drive. Everytime I import a file I have to first resize this window to usable size. It should natively open much larger. Or if I enlarge the window myself, AE should remember and open the import window to the same size I changed it to.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. CTRL+ALT+A no longer selects all visible properties

Pressing this combination used to select all visible properties. now it just causes random windows to open and close. Appears to be a bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add after affects to the AppStore

Add After Effects to the Apple AppStore

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. use getStyleAt() also to redefine properties

thisComp.layer("Text layer").text.sourceText.getStyleAt(0).fontSize
    gives me the size of the first character

why :
    getStyleAt(0).setFontSize(72)
    it applies to all characters and doesn't allow to redefine only the size of the first character?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve speed whilst masking

Working in 4K full res. I duplicate my footage layer. Use the pen tool to start creating a mask. With the mask set to the default 'add' after a while the tool gets laggy. If I change the mask from 'add' to 'none' the toll works in real time. It would be great for the mask tool to work lagg free all the time

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Copy + Paste integration from Adobe Illustrator to After Effects

Would be great if copying and pasting paths, shapes, and outlined text from Illustrator transfer over to After Effects as workable comp or layer.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. In composition view, don't select alphas of upper layers on click

Hello ! I would like to be able to select any layer on the composition panel without taking into account its alpha or any other layer's alphas over it.
    I would like to simply select what I see under my mouse cursor.
    Thank you !

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Feature request: Choose which GPU is used for acceleration

I have 3 GPUs in my system for 3D rendering.

After effects chooses the only one I do not want to use!

Could you add a dropdown in the Display prefs to select which GPU is used for hardware acceleration?

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SIMPLE, EASY = Folder locations always open at current project's folder

When choosing a folder to Render or Save into, simply open the folder of where the current project has been opened from. That's it. Not the previous project's save location, or previous render location, but always starting from where the current folder has been opened from and let the user decide from there. This simple change would save so many headaches and be greatly appreciated.

When working on a tv series many project files have been accidentally saved in incorrect locations because AE currently uses the last render or save location, which is often different from the current project.

A…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. autoplay for media browser

Add button
    To automatically run browser elements from video, audio, and GIF images

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. i would love to have the master window in effect controls in after effects

i would love to have the master window in effect controls in after effects so i can select the color space for prores clips

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bug: Moving between screens with different scaling

When click-dragging a property's numerical value (e.g. position or scale), if the mouse cursor crosses onto a screen with a different scaling setting in Windows Display Setttings to the one with AE in it, the value jumps. The bigger the difference in scaling, the bigger the jump.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I do not like updates on camera navigation and big axis points on the latest AE version

The camera navigation has changed. I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO RELEARN what Ive been doing for ages. And The axis points are now huge dots as if its made for blind people and now I have to rotate the camera to get to the layer I want behind the huge axis points. WTF?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ram preview still doesn't work

Ram preview has been broken since you overhauled it in what 2016? Still doesn't work. Wth?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow markers in AE-created .mogrt files to be seen in Premiere

.mogrts are a great way to create stylized transitions and such, but the inability to add markers that are viewable within Premiere creates inconvenience when actually putting these into use. Being able to send an AE timeline marker back into Premiere within the mogrt would be hugely helpful!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fonts disappearing when used

When I use a font in my composition, save the file and close it, when I reopen it the font has reverted back to standard and the font I chose is missing from the character menu, even though it's still listed as active in TypeKit. I can't get them back even if I deactivate and reactivate in TypeKit, and I have to update all the fonts manually every time. Please patch this, it's really poor performance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Very Slow Render with Shape Layers, Master Properties and .csv file

Super slow render using shape layers with Master Properties and .csv file.
    i7-6950X 10C-20T using only one core to render and 1080ti at 2%
    3 minutes 1920*1080 is rendering 50 minutes

Can't Attaching Project file!

https://we.tl/t-FeRGIkXJ1E

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Remember custom Workspace and Keyboard settings between updates

Every time there is even an incremental update to AE, custom workspaces and keyboard shortcuts are forgotten. Many of us spend a great deal of time setting up such tools and to have them lost every time there is an update is exasperating! The 'sync settings and prefs' utility does not sync these critical settings, which just rubs salt into the wounds. Identifying the appropriate files to manually transfer to the new folders is a tiresome activity, which could easily be automated during the update. Please, please make this simple and important process an automatic consideration in every update.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base