After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug Report: Toggling back to Application fails OSX10.13.6 /AE2019 16.0

Bug Report: Toggling back to Application fails OSX10.13.6 /AE2019 16.0.

apple Tab often fails to make application live again.
    wa gwaan?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We need more information before we can investigate this problem. In simple tests on macOS 10.13.6, I do not reproduce the issue as described.

Can you give us more detail about when and how the problem occurs? A screen recording of the problem may be helpful. The larger picture is that we need to know what state After Effects is in when you encounter this problem.

2. quick selection tool

put the quick selection tool could be used better for rotoscoping selection of an object. would save time for masking

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix the align tool. Align doesn't center anything.

Align does not and will not center my shapes correctly in the center of a comp. A 1080p comp. This doesn't work anymore for me. I even center my anchors in their shape layers but still it won't do it. The alignment is incredibly off. This is super annoying. I really don't understand how something like that gets overlooked.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

Can you provide us with a project that demonstrates the problem? We need more detail about what you are reporting, and it will be easiest if you could provide us a project and instructions like “select shape layers A, B, and C, and click the Align Horizontally Center button”, or whatever is appropriate.

aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

4. [Bug] When layer with a mask has scale keyframes, when click and drag to move layer it selects mask points instead

It's a bug that needs fixing

Here's a gif to show behaviour https://gfycat.com/CavernousLeanDrever

It only occurs when there's scale keyframes on the layer, if removed then it works fine

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report, and for providing a screen capture of the problem.

I’m not able to reproduce this issue with a simple test. It will help if you could provide us a project where the problem occurs.

Please post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

Also, please tell us:
    - Do you use a pen tablet (i.e. Wacom or other brand) , mouse, or other pointing device?
    - What version of After Effects are you using? The specific version from the About After Effects dialog, please. ex., After Effects 16.0.1
    - What…

5. Shift canvas to center based on layer / focus on selected layer / center view port

This may already exist but I cannot find it. Imagine a precomp larger than the final aspect ratio/output settings, and with many layers that require detail work. Rather than space/handing around the composition, it would be nice to use a quick key to move the entire composition so the selected layer/content was centered in the view port. Like selecting an object in CInema 4D and pressing O to bring it front and center.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

In the View menu, the Look At Selected Layers and Look At All Layers command do something similar to what you describe. More information on these commands:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/cameras-lights-points-interest.html#adjust_a_3d_view_or_move_a_camera_light_or_point_of_interest

Note that you must have a camera in the composition for these commands to work.

The keyboard shortcut F is defined by default for Look At Selected Layers (alternately, Option + Shift + Command + \ on macOS, Alt + Shift + Control + \ on Windows). You can customize this in the Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.

Does this meet your needs, or is there different functionality you would like to see?

6. Bug copying/pasting position data from face track to a null

This is a bug where copying the mask motion data from face tracking and pasting it into the position of a null causes the application to crash.

This is a repeatable event, please fix.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In simple tests, I was unable to cause a crash by copying the Mask Path property of a face-tracked mask to the Position property of a null layer.

Can you provide us with a project, with footage, that reproduces the problem?

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

7. Bug Report: Can't paste from Premiere Pro

"After Effects warning: Can't paste from Premiere, Premiere Pro Importer is missing."

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bug - applying Lumetri after Primatte Key causes a slight unexpected scale shift.

The layer is masked.

AE CC 2019
    MacBook Pro 15" 2016
    2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
    Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It would be helpful if we could see screenshots of the problem (with and without the shift) and/or a project that demonstrates the issue.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

9. BUG REPORT: CC 2019 16.0.0 Build 235 (macOS 10.13.6)

AE CC 2019 16.0.0 Build 235 on macOS 10.13.6 crashes upon opening projects. All bug reports submitted to Apple and Adobe. Trashing preferences and importing the project into a new project is the only fix, but that's only good for 2-3 days... then need to repeat this process.

Compounding this issue - it takes 2+ minutes to start/launch the software after a crash. May not seem like a lot, but every minute counts on a deadline. Stop the cloud sign-in garbage. I don't need a welcome screen with my name or libraries loaded. This was a creeping issue in CC…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report, and for submitting crash reports.

I looked for crash logs associated with your email address, but only found 1. Could you send us one or more After Effects crash log files for this problem from the /Users/you/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder?

Please note that Adobe Crash Reporter will submit your crash data anonymously unless you also check the “Yes, Adobe can contact me” option.

Regarding the Home window that appears when you start After Effects, you can disable this in Preferences > General > At…

10. motion blur and continuously rasterize - Bug

On After Effects CC 2019: When I hit the motion blur button and the continuously rasterize button on a composition, After Effects crashes down or the composition get double and changes its place.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information to be able to investigate this problem.

Can you post a project that experiences this problem? And/or a screen recording of the problem in action.

11. Render queue multiple frame ranges

A few versions ago Adobe broke AE's render queue. Now all jobs' frame ranges reflect the current In/Out markers making multiple render jobs useless unless you manually edit the render settings > custom frame range PER queue job. I can't see how this is at all useful in any situation and I would much prefer to be able to queue multiple frame ranges than render the current frames multiple times, making a complete1 mess2 of3 your4 output5 folder6.

Please revert back to how it worked before it became broken.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

There were no intentional changes to the behavior of rendering frame ranges in the Render Queue. We need more information to understand the problem you are describing.

Can you provide us with a project with items set up in the queue that do not render as you expect? It will help to have a clear picture of what you are doing, what you expect the result to be, and what result you are actually getting.

12. Bug Report: masks in AE 2019

Whenever I edit a mask, the mode goes from add, subtract et al to none. This happens with every project and is massively frustrating. I'm using the latest version of AE on Windows 10, i9 9900k, 64GB RAM and a 980ti. Here's a link to a screen recording of the glitch https://www.csmotion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2018-12-06_10-57-18.gif

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report, and for providing a screen recording of the problem in action.

I do not reproduce this problem on my computer, so I suspect this problem is configuration-specific.

Have you tried resetting the preferences for After Effects? To reset the preferences for After Effects, do either of the following:
    - (Preferred) Choose Preferences > General > and click on Reveal Preferences in Finder (macOS) or Explorer (Windows). Then quit After Effects and move the parent folder of these files (the version number, ex. 16.0 or 15.1) to your desktop. If this step helps, you can try moving your individual preference files back one at a time, or if does not resolve the problem, you can move the entire folder back.
    - Hold the Option (macOS) or Alt (Windows) key while launching After Effects.

One thought that occurs to me: when modifying a mask in…

13. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bug Report: AE crashes each time I open a project converted from an older version

I get the rainbow death wheel on my Apple laptop and need to force quit AE. When it occasionally works, the program won't save or export anything through the render queue. This only happens in projects that were overwritten from previous editions of AE.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. [Crashing Report] After Effects crashing after any modifications on project

After doing any modification on any layer, specially on effects (more specifically: stroke effect), after effects crashes then comes back with no modification made.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix Mojave compatabily

Things start to lock up when I go to render.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Create Editable Text Bug

I've discovered and confirmed a bug with the help of your support team.

In AE 2019.1, (I tested on Win10, another user was on MacOS with same result) when you right click on a PSD layer that was text and hit convert to editable text, it was crashing for me about half the time, with no indication why since it was working on the same fonts and same projects sometimes.

When i tested one of the crashing layers INSTEAD of right clicking and going to the MENU Layer>Reveal>Create Editable text, it worked flawlessly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In a simple test, I can not reproduce this problem.

Can you provide us with a PSD and an After Effects project that causes the crash? This will help us investigate.

Please post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

18. After Effects 2019 won't batch replace retargeted jpgs!!!

This has been an issue since AE2017 PLEASE FIX THIS! GAWD!@##

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please elaborate on the problem? What specific steps are you taking, and what happens, or does not happen?

A screen capture video of the problem may be helpful, as would a project file that demonstrates the problem.

19. AE 2019 Crashing entire computer on startup

I don't mean I have to force the software closed. I mean the mouse cursor stops moving and the computer becomes completely unresponsive. This is the only software that manages to crash so hard I have to resort to holding the power button and forcing a shut down. Which could very possibly corrupt anything else that happens to be open at the time.

I'm on Windows 8.1 with a laptop that is running on Intel graphics (no video card). It often alerts me that the graphics display driver crashed on launch, but recovered. Once in a while the entire computer…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We really appreciate your post, however, User Voice is primarily for feature requests and bug reports. It appears your issue is more of a troubleshooting problem which could be solved more easily by our support team. You can open a case with them via call or chat at this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Please note that Windows 8.1 is not supported for the October 2018 update to After Effects CC (version 16.0). The minimum OS requirement for After Effects 16.0 is Windows 10 version 1703, or macOS 10.12, or later. Full system requirements can be found here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html

20. RAM Preview

RAM preview isn't working today. Cache and database are empty, yet when I hit space bar all I can hear is the music, nothing happens with the animation. And no, Caps Lock isn't on. I'm sure it's just a matter of the new update rendering my fully-speced 2017 iMac useless, but it would be good if I could get another year out of it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base