After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. After Effects freezes during disk cache purge

Sadly, after AE took up about 99.99% of all my RAM (despite setting "other programs" to use like 16GB of RAM, but AE eventually doesn't care and tries to take it all and - image my shock - throws around error messages), the program froze during a "purge RAM & disk cache" operation.
    Memory management is totally broken in AE (since the early 2000s)
    (v. 16.0.1)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Preview Does Not Work

I'm having an issue where previewing simply does not work. Sometimes frames will turn green as it plays though, sometimes only one frame will show green at at time. Even if it appears that it's rendering and all keyframes turn green, once it gets to the end of the work area, the green bar disappears completely and it does not play back. I've tried restarting my computer, importing my project into a new file, purging the caches, etc.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Unspecified Drawing Error When Text Layer contains Code

When a Text a text layer contains code a message pops up stating "Unspecified Drawing Error" when you close it, it pops up again

I believe that this may be because ae thinks that the text in the text layer is a part of it's own code. but it would be in a string wouldn't it?

Although if the code contains a string of it's own then maybe that's ending the string in AE's code?

attached is the text in the layer that was doing this

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this report.

In a quick test, I was unable to reproduce the problem you describe.

Could you provide us with a project file that demonstrates the issue? Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

4. Huge Perfomance Problems with after effects

Since the Update to Adobe CC2019 we have huge perfomance issues with After Effects, every slight render takes forever and even the smalles actions are lagging and dont perform well at all. We got HP Z440 Workstations with Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4 @3.50 Ghz, 64 GB of RAM and an nVidia Qadro M2000 GPU. The interesting thing is that the pc isnt stressed at all, we got 60 gig RAM reserved for AE but it uses only 4 – 6 at a time.Any else got this problem and hopefully a soltion?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. AE 2019 master properties (with keyframes) causes random glitch

I have builded a template project with the AE 2018 that involves expressions and master properties to animate the properties of the multiple templates in the same comp. It works fine in the 2018.
    When I've imported it in the the AE 2019 it start to glitch and doesn't recognise some keyframe in random way, purge the cash works just temporarily, I have also tried to collapse the properties, but does't work.
    I have had to downgrade the project and to the 2018, but all the comps reset to the default I have to re keyframe all the master properties…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. New Comp from Selection Bug - Naming of new comp is different than selection

AE 2019 - When creating comps based off of PSD's that are imported into after effects (footage - merged) we've come across that at a certain point AE will rename the new comp based off of some other composition name in the project. (Eg. It adds S0001.psd into a composition and calls the new comp S0650)

In our workflow we are creating 20-30 of these comps per day so having to manually rename them will add alot of time. Especially when it is meant to work with copying the name of the layer.

I've tried restarting the project and computer,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

Can you please provide us with a project that exhibits this problem? Having it in the “before” state with clear steps to reproduce the problem will help us isolate the cause of the problem. Before/after screenshots would also be appreciated.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

7. Time Reverse layer

There is a persisting bug with the 'Time reverse layer' command - often drops first frame, sometimes drops or displays random wrong frame elsewhere in the reversed layer.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you please post a project file with footage that demonstrates this issue? Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

8. Automatic Instanced effects

Example : I copy a blur, or a curve, i paste it on another layer, at this moment, i would want to have a choice betwen "copy" or "intanced" copy.
    Instanced is a automatic link betxen the affects, and of course any modification on my curve will bereported to all instanced copy of it.(like in 3ds max , for example).
    Of cource, a right clic on it can un link it from the others.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for submitting this suggestion.

Similar functionality exists in After Effects. The Edit > Copy with Property Links (and Copy with Relative Property Links) command will do as you describe.

The Copy with Property Links commands link the pasted effect using expressions. You can use the commands on effects, or just single properties (including transform properties), or even a whole layer.

If there is additional functionality you still desire in After Effects, please elaborate.

9. Unable to interact with other programs

I work on multiple PCs where this has happened. There are some times when I'm working in CC2019 that I'll try to interact with another window (a Chrome window, Premiere, etc) and won't be able to. I will only be able to interact with After Effects. The only way for me to fix this is to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL. After that, I have functionality in all my programs again. This only seems to happen when I'm using After Effects. None of the other programs do this.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. phantom time indicator

When I select a layer and hit "i" or "o," there is a phantom time indicator that appears there, but the physical one stays where it was. I've attached a picture of what it looks like. Thanks.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To investigate this, it would be most helpful if you could send us a project file that demonstrates the issue. My suspicion is that this only happens when the layers are in a specific state.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

11. "more options" in interpret footage not showing

When I hit the "more options" buttion in "interpret footage" settings, it gets blue (like it's been activated) but nothing else happens.
    Would be quite handy, because EVERY video Import now seems to be all green and it would be cool to do something about that.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information in order to investigate:

- What format is the footage that you are working with?
    - What version of After Effects are you using? The version number can be found in the About After Effects dialog (ex., After Effects 16.0.1).
    - What OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.13.6)

12. Fix Precomps in AE2019

Precomps don't act as they used to. They're broken. Expressions don't carry as they should. I set up twenty text layers to count up with expressions at different rates and after precomping this build, nothing would count, they just looked stuck.

Furthermore, assets precomped won't stay together. Screenshot below shows what AE2019 is doing. The precomped piece can move on the left, however the grouped graphic on the right remains and won't follow as it should. This makes zero sense. I think this is a bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information to be able to investigate this problem. Can you provide us with a project file (.aep) that demonstrates the issue?

13. Missing plugin notice gives no information on where the missing plugin layer is

Opening up an older project, you sometimes get a notification about a missing plugin, but then no information on how to track down where the problem plugin is.

How many layers have the issue?

Can the layers and comps have a warning symbol so you can see where the problem is?

Can there be some sort of log that lists what comp and what layers are missing plugins?

It's really annoying to hunt around for them, delete/replace them, reopen the scene and it still give the same error because you couldn't find them all.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this feature request.

Currently in After Effects, you can use the Search fields at the top of the Project or Timeline panels to search for either:
    - The keyword “Missing Effects” (which is a saved term if you click on the magnifying glass icon). This will show all comps in the Project panel, or layers in the Timeline panel that reference effects that could not be loaded.
    - The name of the effect that was reported as missing.

Does the above functionality meet your needs, or do you still desire additional functionality?

14. CC2019 Expression controls don't work in Motion graphics templates exported to Premiere Pro

Very annoying bug : I cannot use any of the expression controls added to the Essential Graphics Panel when using the template in Premiere Pro CC 2019. The controls are there but nothing happens when I change their value.
    The attached projects shows a very simple case. The template just generates a solid overlay with a simple control to adjust its position.
    When the position is controlled by an expression control, it does not work in Premiere.
    When the position is controlled by anything else (the anchor point of a Null, for example), it works correctly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There was no file attached to the report. Can you please post a link to a download of the After Effects project or a screenshot of the project that identifies that properties and expressions in use? Since UserVoice does not allow attachments in comments, post either a link to a file share (Dropbox, etc.) or re-file the bug with an attachment to the original post.

15. Using same variable in two different master properties cause crash CC2019 v16.01

I have a master comp with to sub comps consisting of three text layers each. The two sub comps are lower thirds left and light aligned, but there are three hidden text layers for input from Essential Graphics and I want to link the content of these to both left and right comps respective Master Properties.
    Once I try to add the variable from the master comp to the second comp's master propert and change the check box value from off to on After Effects crashes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It would be helpful if we could inspect your project file to see exactly what is happening. We only need the .aep file, not any source media.

Post a link to your file here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

16. Can you please test and confirm if NVIDIA 940MX is supported by After Effects?

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Device: GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2
    Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 391.25
    Total Memory: 3.96 GB
    Shader Model: 4.0 or later

CUDA
    Driver Version: 9.1
    Devices: 1 (GeForce 940MX) (unsupported)
    Current Usable Memory: 3.33 GB (at application launch)
    Maximum Usable Memory: 4.00 GB

It is showing that it is unsupported but my processor is starts running once I open After Effects. Could you please test and confirm if this is supported by After Effects?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

What type of support are you requesting?

After Effects supports Nvidia, AMD, and Intel graphics chipsets for Mercury GPU acceleration. (Enabled in Project Settings > Video Rendering and Effects.) We have not specifically tested or certified the GeForce 940MX chipset, but it should meet requirements. If you can not set the project to use Mercury GPU Acceleration (CUDA), install the latest drivers from the Nvidia web site. (This is assuming that you are using Windows. CUDA is not supported by After Effects on macOS, but Metal and OpenCL should be available.)

The Ray-traced 3D renderer (Composition Settings > 3D Renderer) has been deprecated as of After Effects 16.0 and will be removed in a future release. We no longer certify cards for compatibility with this feature, and recommend that you use the CINEMA 4D renderer instead.

17. Bug with several layers with mask or shape

When I do several layer with mask, or serverals shapes layer :

The paths of the different layers hide each other

The presence of two layers causes displacements of the paths

I did the last updates.
    Ae works on windows 10

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. vertically zoom on waveform

Sometimes when using high-bass songs the audio waveform just turns into a block, so to vertically zoom on it will show further details on the waveform in order to see different beats.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for submitting this feature request.

In After Effects, you can vertically zoom the waveform by placing the mouse cursor underneath the waveform (the cursor icon will change to a vertical double-arrow), and then clicking and dragging.

Does this meet your need, or do you want different functionality in After Effects. If so, please elaborate.

19. After Effects error: internal verification failure {no current context}

After Effects error: internal verification failure {no current context}

Error appears as I am trying to complete the beginner tutorial within AE followed by this error message:

After Effects can’t continue: very unexpected uncaught exception while application running

I have the latest AE version (16.0.1)
    Mid 2015 MacBook Pro
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor
    RAM is 16 GB

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. AE 2018 Crashes (15.1.2)

Having a lot of issues with After Effects on Mac recently. The program crashes when I attempt to preview and sometimes when I try to send to Media Encoder.

I have attached the report log below.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report, and for attaching the crash log.

The crash log indicates that the GenArts Sapphire plug-in is causing the crash. (See Thread 28 in the log.) Have you contacted BorisFX/GenArts regarding this problem?

Also, have you tested this comp in the current release of After Effects CC, version 16.0.1? You can install this version via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

If you need further assistance with this issue, this could be addressed more easily by our support team. You can open a case with them via call or chat at this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base