After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Adob CC After effects 2019 keeps crashing

So since last week im not sure if this is due to a windows update or something else. But i have been having glitches and crashes in after effects 2019.
    The frist thing is, an imported video turns purple and green, i have tried purging cache, cleaning up the pc, reinstalling after effects, this did not help with it, i have tried changing the renderers. Nothing helps.
    The second thing is, moving a frame or previewing it, leads to crashing after effects. Even making a new composition has the same effect.
    I have no idea what to do, and no…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ADD LEFT-TO-RIGHT-SUPPORT

Just do it already! Many of us been waiting patiently for for this feature that takes just about F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Don't search what to add on to any of your software's until you give users basic-typing-capabilities within your software.

1.It hinders productive time when having to use 3rd party tools to convert text to the right direction.

1. any mistake in the text, just takes, you've got it! MORE TIME TO CORRECT.

2. It's basic. L-a-n-g-u-a-g-e. make every ADOBE software COMPATIBLE!

3. Year 2020. We've waited long ENOUGH from October 1995.

Just do it already!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

Right-to-left text support was added to After Effects 14.2 (June 2017 release; current version is 16.0.1).

Details on how to change text direction is here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-editing-text-layers.html#change_the_direction_of_text

If there is additional functionality for text direction support that you’re looking for, please provide specifics.

3. Alpha + RGB is missing!

I don´t know how Adobe where thinking but this in fact risk do harm and damage my business.

Where is the old RGB+Alpha function when rendering AVI and other formats?

Please restore the Alpha render functions in After Effects immediately!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

Nothing has changed in the ability of After Effects to render RGB + alpha channels to AVI or other formats.

As always, the availability of alpha depends on which codec you are rendering to. Not all codecs support alpha channels. Depending on your workflow, you may need to open the Format Options dialog and change the codec you are rendering to.

When rendering to the AVI format, very few codecs support alpha channels. The AVI None (uncompressed) codec does, and is the default format and codec on Windows.

When rendering to the QuickTime format, there are more codecs that do support alpha channels, but not all do. For example, most Apple ProRes codec flavors do not; only ProRes 4444 supports an alpha channel. Other codecs that do support an alpha channel include Animation, GoPro CineForm, and None. Some flavors (“resolutions”) of Avid DNxHR support…

4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. In panel 3 add a video play button

Yes I am new to After Effects, just loaded it, but 30 years working software, including Light Room and Photo shop, you don't have a play button??
    Add a play button for newbies. And yes, I am off to watch and learn from the tutorials

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for filing this suggestion.

The play button in After Effects, and other playback controls, are in the Preview panel. In the Default and Standard workspaces, you can find the Preview panel docked in the column of panels along the right side (underneath the Info and Audio panels). You can undock and/or reorganize the panels to your liking.

I appreciate that you expect the play controls to be in the same window as the video, which is a common convention for video playback applications. And I agree with you that we should move the playback controls in After Effects. The design After Effects is currently using was made before that convention was common, and had solid logic at its time. While we’ve considered changing that UI, changes to an established application like After Effects come with many complications, and we need to be sure that the benefits of such change…

6. video preview overlapping second monitor

I have a Windows 10 machine with a 2-monitor setup. Whenever I enable mercury transmit on the second monitor to use it as a client monitor, it creates a preview that's too large for the screen and extends onto the screen I'm working on. (I've attached a file that shows what I mean.)

I'm working on a Windows 10 Pro machine with 2 Geforce GTX 1080 TIs bridged together. Admittedly, the screens are different resolutions - but that never seemed to affect anything when I used these exact screens with a Mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable After Effects to run in a Windows Service Enviroment

Enables you to start After Effects in Render Engine Mode as a Windows Service or in a Windows Service environment without Windows login. This allows After Effects to be used with render management programs such as AWS Deadline in a render farm. We also comply with the European DSGVO, as After Effects starts without logging on to Windows and the computer itself can therefore remain password-protected.

Currently, After Effects crashes when, for example, it is executed using the Windows Task Scheduler directly after system start, but without physical user logon.

Informations about RE Mode: https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/installing-after-effects-cc-render-engines-with-adobe-creative-cloud/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Missing Plugin ERROR

Not an idea - but how about a fix for the silly bug which occurs when opening a project with a missing plugin. Fine, I'm opening a project with a missing plugin, not a problem. I accept then prompted and move past the notification, and the project loads. I later come to opening another project in the same session, again I know this has a missing plugin, but instead of prompting me, this now doesn't work. No prompt, therefore the APP totally crashes, none responsive, spinning wheel of death.

I cannot get out of the loop now, and cannot get…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for submitting this bug report.

Does the Adobe Crash Reporter dialog appear when this crash occurs? Have you submitted the report, including your email address? If not choose Help > Adobe Crash Reporter from inside After Effects. We like receiving crash reports, and prefer that you use the “Always show this dialog” option so that you can fill in the additional information after the crash. When the Adobe Crash Report dialog appears, please ALWAYS provide notes about what you did before the crash occurred. If you have filed the bug on UserVoice, include a link to the report. We also appreciate if you both fill in your email address and check the “Yes, Adobe can contact me” option; you must add these options in order for us to be able to find your reports by your email address in our database, or to contact you to follow up…

9. Bug Report: Color shift on Save Frame As

When I do "Save Frame As" I am getting weird color shifts, crazy amounts of tint and saturation that are not in the comp on the exported jpeg. I have Videocopilot's FX console installed and if I use that to export the exact same frame as a jpeg everything in the resulting jpeg appears as it does in the comp.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Faulty composition preview

I was working on a project today when the preview window of my composition went completely blank, when I moused over the layers of my composition, the bounding box appeared but the artwork was not viewing. I recall having this problem before and its clearly frustrating to say the least. Several hours of work have been lost.

I reset the preferences with command shift and alt and the composition still won’t view. Other compositions will show. Its just this one that is faulty. I will have to incrementally save from now on to prevent this issue becoming a minor disaster

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Top/First Text Layer Acts as a Mask

When creating multiple text layers, randomly, the first text layer creates starts acting as a weird mask layer that makes all the rest of the independent text layers disappear. Turning off this first layer will make the second layer in the index appear, yet the other ones will remain "masked out".

Interestingly, if you move this aforementioned text layer to the top, all text layers merge and After Effects crashes.

Please look at the screenshots to understand progression to replicate this bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

Can you share the project file with us that causes this problem? Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

12. I have a probleme with composition panel

I installed after effects cc 2019 trial version a day ago, it worked fine. But today, I launched it and open an existing project but nothing appear in composition panel. How can I fix this ?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Unable to see bounding box around selected object

it seems to be happening on seemingly random occasions. I defiantly have the composition selected. It's only one of the compositions in the project. I can select the a layer in the timeline window and can manipulate it with the sliders. I can even click on the particular layer in the composition window and drag it around but there's no selection bounding box around it. For instance the yellow layer is selected which is the television in the composition window but there's no scaling bounding box (whatever it's called)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

In your screenshot, I can see that the Toggle Mask and Layer Path visibility button at the bottom of the Composition panel is disabled. This usually indicates that the View > Show Layer Controls option is disabled. (Though the layer controls can be customized via View > View Options.)

If you enable one or both of those options, does the bounding box return?

14. Videos export darker than project

Every time I export from AE, the videos come out about 10-15% darker than the original. I've tried many different export settings with the same results. If one were to take a video, put it in AE, export it with a rewrap, take the exported video, put it in a new comp, and repeat this several times, the results become very obvious. It's exporting darker every time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Video looses thin layer of pixels upon import

I'm loosing a layer of pixels on one edge of my imported video. My only work around for years now has been to export my project, bring it into Premiere, enlarge it 100.4%, and re-export it.

For some reason when I drop in a video into AE, it randomly corrupts one edge of the video.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report.

What codec is this footage? What application or camera created it?

Can you share a sample file with us? Post a link to your file here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

16. Support CUDA Acceleration, for GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP Edition

Hello, I need help since it says in my program (After CC 17) that my video card is not supported (Ge Force GTX 1060 AMP Edition).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bug Report: Crash, when opening a Project, that was created with "collect files"

Hello,

when I'm trying to open a project that was created with the "collect files" option, After Effects opens, freezes (windows says not responding) and then just closes. The project isn't any fancy and doesn't use any plugins, the workspace was reset to standard.

The source-project was created in CC19 and I'm using CC19 as well.

My workaround is creating a new project and importing said "collected" ae-project and I can work with it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report. Sorry to hear that you’ve encountered a problem.

Does this problem repeat if you go back to the original project, collect it again, and try to open the resulting project?

If so, we’d like to take a look at the project files, both the original and the collected version. Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

18. Expression Shortcut

Expression Shortcut Idea:

A shortcut to open the expression would be nice.

Example:
    If I have a position expression on a layer I would normally use the default expression shortcut (Double E). However, it would be nice to have that shortcut (or a new one created). If I select the layer, then push P (to reveal the position) then push Alt + Ctrl+ A (Which will select all properties that are showing). Then, with that property selected, you could then push the double E shortcut to reveal the expression of that property.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for submitting this idea.

There is already a shortcut available to add an expression to a selected property: Option + Shift + = (macOS) or Alt + Shift + = (Windows)

The Add Expression command is also available from the Animation menu. The keyboard shortcut can be customized in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Does this do what you are requesting? If not, please clarify what functionality you’d like to see added to After Effects.

19. Fix strange sub-frame problems when work

Fix weird sub-frame error when working with footage. Clips and other objects not falling on frame boundaries.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your post.

I’m not clear on what you’re describing. It would help if you could provide us screenshots or a project file that demonstrate the issue.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

20. Issue: "After Effects has encountered a failure related to GPU-enabled effects on this frame" message

Issue:

"After Effects has encountered a failure related to GPU-enabled effects on this frame" message

Message states "After Effects has encountered a failure related to GPU-enabled effects on this frame. This is likely because your GPU is out of memory."

Suggestion:

Decreasing your rendering resolution, close application that may be using GPU resources, or set this project to render effects using "Mercury Software Only" in: File -> Project Settings -> Video Rendering and Effects

In my case, I opened AE only while working on a project. I couldn't render the clip with mask transition.

My GPU is GTX1060. "Video Rendering…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base