After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Slow... Laggy... After... Effects... Workflow

I'm going to type my complaint in the same format that Adobe after effects allows me to work:

I

Can't

Get

Anything

Done

Without

The

Application

Freezing

Or

Hanging

Every

Or

So

Minutes.

This

is

the

same

machine

that

spat

out

simultaneous

renders

from

After

Effects

DaVinci Resolve, Blender and Unreal Engine, last month (these products get their own line because I don't have to wait for them nearly as much as I do for After effects now.
    After Effects started doing this thing today where I can't use the machine or any other apps (including web…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Needs More Info  ·  4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hi, just seems the layer sequencer isn't working

See attached photoshop file, I took screenshots and pasted them in with a walkthrough of what I''m doing on.

I've been a tester on a few softwares so just thought give a brief run down. Wasn't end of world, just had to do a lot of layer duplication.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. BUG: White dot/blob appears in 8bpc project

I have encountered a weird bug. First, I thought it was a fault in the project, but today I created a new, blank one, added an empty comp and the white blob is back. It looks the same and its on the same position.
    Since its repeating in a brandnew project, this is likely a bug.

Its only visible in 8bpc projects, all higher bpc, this blob is gone.
    I haven't re-installed AE yet, since its a workplace station and the IT has to do this and also reinstall all plugins. During a working day, thats almost impossible.

Do you…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. mpeg 2 video failing to import

Version 17.1.3 is no longer importing MPEG 2 Long GOP HDV 720P footage. I have older footage from a JVC GY HD250 that still opens in Premiere, but the After Effects project will no longer conform the footage. So, I open AE to check the project, to find that footage, and any MPEG 2 I try to import, will import without error, but only displays black. Brand new Wintel machine with RTX 2080 super card. Other AE projects work fine, just not ones with this footage. Any workaround? I don't even think I can re-render the footage in Media Encoder,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug Report - Layer/Camera/Link Focus Distance To Layer does not work!

3D Camera 'Link Focus Distance to Layer' does not work. When initially linking the focus distance, it is set correctly. But as soon as you orbit the camera around an orbit null, the focus distance no longer stays locked to the focus layer. Also, and bizarrely, if the orbit null is deleted the focus distance resumes the correct lock. After a lot of experimenting and 2 completely useless and infuriating sessions with Adobe support (Adobe - your tech support sucks - I have NEVER had a satisfactory experience with your tech support), I discovered that the problem appears to be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. BUG: Expression Breaks RAM Preview/Memory Leak

I have been working on a project for 10+ hours. It uses nested compositions and expressions referencing between compositions. One of the expressions is a for-loop that runs the sampleImage() expression four times - this expression in particular seems to be causing a lot of problems and throwing "internal errors."

The project has reached a point where it loads fine if all expressions are disabled - the preview updates immediately when I move the time indicator - but as soon as the expression is activated the property color changes from blue to green and hangs there instead of turning red.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Late to the party, updated to 16.1

Late to the party, updated to 16.1 and I'm having all sorts of issues with text layers (sometimes they crash it completely, other times if it's a text layer on top of another layer, the text layer disappears.) Also, any project from a previous version crashes when I try to update it so I have to import it into a new project and pray the comp I open doesn't crash.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

A bug where After Effects may crash when opening a project if there are missing fonts was fixed in the April 2019 bug-fix patch for After Effects (version 16.1.1). You can install this patch via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

If the 16.1.1 update does not resolve the problem you’re experiencing, it would be helpful if you could provide us with one or more project files that demonstrate the issues you’ve described.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

10. Any 29.97 fps footage crashes AE 16.1

Hi After Effects 16.1 crashes continuously while adding any 29.98 fps footage to the comp.
    It imports to the project ok, opens in the footage window, allows to trim but Ae immediately freezes as I insert -edit it to the composition.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. AE 2018 Keyboard lag on Mojave

Just bought a new iMac - AE 2018 has a really frustrating keyboard input lag. Even if you type slowly it misses characters as you type (adding text or just using the interface i.e. naming folders, changing values, pressing spacebar etc). It's incredibly frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix timeline issue in the latest update

On a macbook air 2017 running mojave 10.14.3, left clicking in the timeline DOES NOT work at all, only option is to right click which somehow registers, the recent update broke left clicking on the timeline and no layers can be clicked, this is a major bug and paralyzes my work. Please get it fixed ASAP

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting this bug.

We are currently investigating this problem but are having difficulty reproducing the issue. To isolate and fix the problem, if you are experiencing this we would like to know:

- What OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3)
    - What hardware are you using? (ex., 2018 MacBook Pro or MacBookPro15,2 (A1989)
    - Did the problem always occur since you first installed After Effects 16.1 or did something trigger it?
    - If something triggered it, does restarting After Effects clear the problem? Restarting the computer? Clearing the After Effects preferences?
    - If something triggered it, what is the trigger?

13. Rendering frames to DPX fails randomly prior to completion after the latest update, sits idle, must reset render options & click render -BUG

Updated to latest After Effects update on 4/6/19. Rendering is not reliable. Render creates a random number of complete DPX frames before ending prematurely and returning to a normal GUI working state. Programs does not crash, only the render stops and has to be set up again and the render button must be clicked again. Fails multiple times during the course of rendering 300 frames of DPX. Very high aggravation, factor please fix.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report. We need additional information before we can investigate this problem.

What OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3)

Do you receive any error messages? Is there a log file in the render output folder that indicates which frames were rendered or not?

Are you rendering via the render queue in After Effects with the UI open? Or are you using the command-line renderer, watch folder rendering, a distributed rendering solution, or other?

It may help if you provide us with a project file that demonstrates the problem (with the item queued and ready to render) and a screen recording of the problem in action. Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files,…

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for filing this bug report.

Can you please provide more detailed steps to reproduce the problem? I presume that by “vectorizing a child comp” you mean you’re enabling the Continuously Rasterize switch for the pre-comp layer, but I don’t want to assume. I also need clarification on which comp you’re referring to by “lengthen this comp”.

Perhaps you could provide us with a sample project in the “before” state and instructions or a screen recording of what to do that causes the problem. Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

16. 16.1 update rendering bug : 1000% speedup on rendered output

idea? NO. this is a bug report.
    a SHOW STOPPER BUG.

renders are now outputting at 1000% percent of the speed of the comps.

for example: a 5 minute output now comes in around 5 seconds.

PULL 16.1 TILL YOU GET THIS FIXED

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this bug report.

Can you share a project file that demonstrates the problem? Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

Also, what OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3) What is your hardware configuration?

This is the first report we’ve heard of this problem, so we need to understand your project and configuration in order to investigate.

17. BUG: Right click on image in library closes entire library window

When I right click on an image in the library the entire libraries window closes randomly.

I have testing with adobe stock v non stock, tested in various libraries and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason. Sometimes I can get the pop up with additional options, such as find similar etc, but about 70% of the time the entire Libraries window completely closes and I have to re-open, resize etc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bug Report - AE 16.0.1 - Lumetri Scopes not displaying anything after some use.

When using the Lumetri Scopes, after having AE open for some time, the scopes themselves disappear and there seems to be no way to get them working again. I can close the scopes panel and reopen it and also try to change what scopes are displaying but nothing works. Must restart AE for them to work again. Problem typically occurs when changing from one composition to another.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this bug report.

Are you also using external video preview via Mercury Transmit? (Preferences > Video Preview)

When the problem starts, try enabling and then disabling Mercury Transmit. You could also try pressing the / key on the numeric keypad.

(Under the hood, Lumetri Scopes captures the frame using Mercury Transmit. Although Transmit does not need to be enabled in the prefs for Lumetri Scopes to do this, I’m curious if toggling it on/off would help, or maybe there is a conflict with another Transmit device.)

19. Cineware fix on first start

A lot of time, when I open an .aep file with a .c4d in the project, the cineware plugin have an error. I have to restart AE to work fine.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Audio and video playback bugs

I'm Japanese. I use Google Translate.

When playing back only the audio on the After Effects timeline, the beginning of the audio is cut off and it can not be played back properly.
    How, if you play video and audio simultaneously, you can play audio normally.

This happens even if the composition has only an audio layer.

You can confirm that After effects are playing in real time from the information panel.

The environment of PC is as follows.

Windows Main PC
    CPU: Core i7-8700K
    Memory: 32GB
    GPU: RTX 2080
    After Effects: CC2019

Windows Sub PC
    CPU: Core i7-7700K
    Memory:…

6 votes

We're glad you're here