After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. a Premiere Layer in After Effects with visible edits

For every cut in AE you need 2 layers. Very quickly you have a lot of layers. If you precomps the layers, you don't see "outside" the timing of the edits "under the skin". A Premiere layer only for editing would be dramatically reduce the amount of layer & you could see every edit for timing of your animation.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make the "Create VR environment" dockable

When using composition -> VR -> Create VR environment, the small window isn't dockable.
    It's fine for creating a comp, but afterwards you need to "refresh the VR output" quite often, so it's really tedious having to go to the menu every time.
    When it was still Mettle skybox this option was available in the effects panel, way more practical !

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mouse scroll wheel zooms in on timeline while over it

I zoom in and out on the timeline constantly, this would be handy

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Transform Controls in Set Matte effect

Adding a set of transform controls to Set Matte would allow per instance, on-the-fly adjustments to mattes that would go a long way making procedural matting easier.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Can't double click on comps to open them.

Bug. I can't open some comps from the project. The only way I can get them to open is by placing the comp into another and then double clicking on the original from there. At least I can do that, but its an annoying bug. I have a Mac running the latest edition of AE 2018.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Track Matte (alpha/luminance) on multiple layers

Preferably I would love Groups to do this (being able to add multiple layers to a group thats affected byt he same adjustment or alpha layer), the same way as Photoshop. But being able to select that multiple layers track matte from one source is something I miss a LOT of times and have to find ways to work around the limitations of the program.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Editing multiple master properties

When I have multiple master comps of the same kind in a composition, they all have the same master properties. But I can't copy and paste keyframes between them, like I can with other properties.

Workflow when editing the same master property on multiple layers should also work like normal properties.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. A keyboard shortcut to add a keyframe to which ever property you have selected.

If I have any property selected in the timeline I would love the ability to use a keyboard shortcut to add a keyframe, I realise you can do this on a small few of the properties, Scale, Position, etc... BUT it would be great to have the ability to do this on which ever property you have selected. If you can already do this, my apologies, but I don't think you can. Please generous Adobe staff can you work your magic. :-)

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this feature request.

To create a keyframe for selected properties, you can choose the Animation > Add Keyframe command. (The name of this command will change if you only have one property selected, ex. Add Opacity Keyframe.)

This command does not have a keyboard shortcut defined by default. However, you can assign a keyboard shortcut for it: choose Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts. More information about assigning keyboard shortcuts can be found here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/keyboard-shortcuts-reference.html#VisualKeyboardShortcutEditor

Given this information, do you still have a request for us? That is, do you want a shortcut defined by default? If so, which shortcut? (One that is already not in use by After Effects.)

9. Master comps performance

Nice to finally have something like master properties. However, when you put many of the same "master comps" in a composition, playback performance gets really bad.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Despite Auto-Save is off AE CC2015.1 saves project and then crashes

AE CC2015.1 (166) / Mac-OS 10.13.4

When opening a certain project After Effects save the project (despite having Auto-Save off) as soon as the CTI is moved and then AE crashes.
    Please find the Mac-OS message as well as Crash-log here: https://adobe.ly/2qUvbB0

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. link layers in the timeline

It would be very nice to be able to link layers in the timeline. Sometimes a lot of layers together makes up an effect and its preferable not to move it into a Pre-comp. And when needing to move layers in the timeline it would have been nice to be able to link certain layers together so when you move them forward/backward in time, all the linked layers will follow.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improved UI responsiveness

The UI response is slower depending on amount of layers (even if layers as simple as a shape circle) ....and it also is greatly dependend on CPU clockspeed and screen resolution. Scrubbing line in the timeline jitters as if the program struggle to move a vertical line of UI without even updating the preview frames.

Example: Going from my 6 core 4.4GHZ machine to a 16 Core 3.8GhZ Threadripper GREATLY reduce the UX experience within the program, despite all other hardware being the same. And no other program has given me anything near the same slowdowns as AE.

The UI…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bug in Track Motion

When i try to use Track Motion, After Effects only tracks 1 frame and then stops, making it impossible to track my sequences. My colleagues do not experience this, they have tried using the exact same files and it works on their machines. It works for me with mp4 files but not image sequences.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Error Parsing properties list from memory

When clicking the text tool, brush tool, clone tool, erase tool, or clicking Windows>Align, Brushes, or Character I get an error that says "After Effects warning: Error parsing properties list from memory." For the tools, I can use them after clicking and getting the error. For the menu items, I cannot use them. The workaround is to show "All Panels" and then I can use those functions.

I running MacOS 10.13.4 on a iMac Pro 10 core (Late 2017). I don't have to tell Adobe how frustrating this error is... its terrible for my workflow. Please fix.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Save backup project to creative cloud

Have a backup project that is automatically saved to the cloud when you save the local project file, like Premiere has.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a Time Offset for the Shape Repeater source animation!

We need Time Offset for the Shape Repeater. Not only the standard shape parameters. But also the animation of the source!

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow the user to hide the panel headers

Allow the user to hide the panel headers. Instead of the first unnecessary line of text, squeeze it into a small square on the side or corner of panel. Need for scripts panels. Now a lot of space on the monitor is spent on the headers of the panels. This is a completely unnecessary information that can be deleted. The user must decide for himself.

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. [BUG] BRUSHES

Doesn't work any kind of brush. You can't drag rotobrush, normal brush or cloner.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. [BUG] ROTOBRUSH

The rotobrush tool doesn't work correctly. I can't drag the pencil to make a successful selection.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. toggle mask and shape path visibility

button does not seem to stay on

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base