After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. FIX After Effects 22.5 - preview playback

RAM preview playback loads for only a few frames no matter how long the in/out points are, so the playback loops for a very short part of the comp. This seems like a bug in the newest version.

If I empty the disk cache and database, then close and reopen, it will load the full playback. This is only temporary and becomes limited to only a few frames shortly after. I have plenty of RAM available, so this is not the issue.

PLEASE FIX ASAP!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. AutoSave Does. Not. AutoSave.

AutoSave DOES NOT ACTUALLY SAVE half the time. This is ridiculous, especially since your software is famous for crashing regularly for approx 100% of users.

Stop with horrible annual upbreaks and just. fix. your. software.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Audio playback is bad when using ''Mute audio when preview is not realtime'' Function

Audio playback is bad when using ''Mute audio when preview is not realtime'' Function
    It mutes the first audio clip when you play back a ram preview so than you have to wait till it hits the end of the in and out points. Than you will most likely get a proper audio preview.
    Disabeling this option and the audio plays back properly but I'm afraid it won't play back accurately wich is my most major complaint with audio in Ae.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add an option to turn off expression pre-processing

Evaluating expressions without AE pre-processing them would give a performance improvement to long expressions / expression heavy projects. Obviously this would mean the user would need to be more disciplined in the way they write their expressions but that might be worth the trade off for the performance boost. Would be good to give the option to the user.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. GET RID OF RAM PREVIEW

No more RAM preview. Get rid of it.
    It's 2022 I should be able to SMOOTHLY PLAY BACK MY FOOTAGE. I should be able to play it back in my timeline as if I'm watching it in Quicktime. Full frame rate. Scrubbing. No more stupid RAM preview.

Any subsequence updates that still allow this feature to exist is a waste of time. Stop wasting ours and your time by still supporting After Effects in the form that it is. We don't want it anymore. Fix it, please.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Incremental Iterative RAM Preview

We commit lots of RAM Previews daily and oftentimes, we view a RAM preview on repeat. Going from Zero to when the RAM Preview is ready for viewing takes x number of seconds. Oftentimes, we can make do without a full, fps preview when we just want a quick look to ensure what we're doing is going as planned - things moving in the right direction; general layout looks as expected and layers are looking as expected. For this, a RAM Preview in 2s or 3s is sufficient. However, user experience can be improved if we combined these truths with…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. After Effects 2022 won't save/export/import or respond to anything!

Recently After Effects has not been letting me save my projects. At some point during my time working on a project, After Effects becomes unresponsive and when clicking save/save as, nothing happens. It does not save. It seemed like anything to do with accessing files just wasn't responsive. I can't import/export, choose where to render to, or most importantly save!! Today however, it happened again and so I just tried to render to the default chosen file, but it wouldn't even respond to anything I click. When hovering over buttons like 'render' it would show the hover selection appearance but…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Shatter Effect Performance V22.5.0

Having major issues with V22.5.0 performance when trying to use the Shatter effect

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Performace lagging on Intel Macs since version 22.3

New After Effects versions since version 22.3 are incredibly lagging in preview performance on Intel Macs. Simple animations like a text animator take a long time to preview. Tested on iMac Pro 2018 on macOS 10.15.12 and 12.4.

After Effects 22.2.1 works as expected, performance is good. Please bring back acceptable performance for Intel Macs so we can use the newer versions.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. AE 22.4.0 is horrendously slow

Sorry, I'm not sure what else to say about this other then AE 22.4.0 is EXTREMELY slow in performance all round. I mean the timeline takes forever to cache and render just a single frame for the viewport.

I rolled back to 22.0 and the speed difference is chalk and cheese. 22.0 is an order of magnitude faster.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Multi frame rendering doesn't work

Hi folks ... MFR simply doesn't work for me. I use AE across 3 different work stations and it works on none of them.

I am using AE 22.4.0 on all of them . One of them is a dual socket 48 core machine, it doesn't work that even. When it is switched on the renders grind right down and crawl along. When I switch it off, speeds return to normal.

It is having the exact opposite effect for me. MFR simply isn't working for me on any of my workstations.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. BUG: multi-second delay when cutting and pasting type within AE

I've been using AE since 3.1, and never seen this before.

There's a lag when cutting and pasting type, and the pasted text only appears if I then strike a key, such as the down arrow. This is true of cutting as well: there's a lag before the cut text disappears.

I'm on a Mac M1 Studio Ultra, 128 GB memory, the font is Helvetica, and I'm pasting type created within AE, not from another doc. The comp is HD, with one layer, text-only. It happens whether the it's point or paragraph text. It happens with other fonts as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make music play in real time

Please for the love of god improve the audio playback feature in AE. It's near impossible to time anything to music, and so frustrating that something that is SO important isn't better integrated into the program.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improve Performance with 4K+ footage

I am experiencing painfully slow UI lag / app hanging when trying to work with comps and footage at or above 4k at full quality. Even empty comps slow down the app dramatically unless I change the quality of the viewer to 50% or lower.

I've tried turning off hardware acceleration and it seems to help for a short time but eventually the application just starts hanging. It's terrible. Trying to use the Tracker tool on 4K+ footage is painfully slow with the app hanging for 30 seconds at a time.

I have a powerful workstation (Windows 10 Pro, AMD…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Multiframe Preview Disk Cache

Multiframe Previewing is great, it's so much faster, however I have noticed that Multiframe Previewing seems to choke up over time. I've found that if I clear the Disk Cache and restart After Effects it goes back to the expected speed.

I'm sure this is a bug that can be squashed and Multiframe Previewing will be fantastic going forward!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for filing this. Could you please try the latest release of After Effects? The most recent release from last week was After Effects 22.4.

In the past few months there were some bugs where workspaces would not save correctly when restarting After Effects. Apologies for the disruption As of 22.4, all the bugs around this issue that we're aware of have been fixed.

If you're still experiencing a problem, please reply here with more detail so we can investigate. We will need to know:

1. What exact version of After Effects you're using.
    2. What OS you're using.
    3. Any error messages you're receiving.
    4. A description of the behavior. i.e., The steps that you take so we can follow and determine where the problem is.
    5. Screenshots or screen recordings are super helpful for error messages or before/after states.
  18. Text layers slow down essential graphics

Hi there,
    I'm researching performance issues with mogrt files for the Danish National Broadcaster.
    We've implemented most of their branding in a git versioned master project and export our assets to all systems from this master project using a jsx script for ci/cd and deployment of mogrts, alpha-renders etc.
    In this process we have discovered a dissapointing fact about masterproperties on text layers.
    It seems that when an essential text property on a layer is set to a different value than the default from the source comp, it slows down rendering considerably.
    When previewing or rendering the source comp it…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Issues with Fonts

I know this has been brought up by other users in some other forums, but I want to second and reiterate this occurrence - there is serious issues with sluggish performance in after effects with fonts, particularly when using fonts in projects that are not cloud/adobe font based. In some cases, projects freeze for 10-15 seconds on retyping a 10 character word in a text box. Across multiple text-heavy projects for client schedule demands, it's becoming a major issue.

Some people have provided workarounds, like resetting the font of a project entirely with a script, but in not all cases…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The current build of After Effects Beta (v22.6 build 21) is exhibiting much, much better behavior than previous releases, due to fixes applied to how font glyph tables are built. The long delays appear to be resolved, though in some cases I still see a short delay. (The developer who has been working on this code has done their best to resolve this, but some of the problems remain with the fonts themselves or in code that would require much more extensive revision.)

If you were experiencing this problem, please test the same project, comp, and fonts in the daily builds of After Effects Beta.

If you're still experiencing a delay when using certain fonts, could you please:

1. Send a screen capture video of the behavior in the current build of After Effects Beta, as well the same project, comp, or font in an older release of After Effects where…
  20. Automatically clean disk cache

After Effects should automatically clean the disk cache, removing the oldest cached frames / information as needed to ensure the cache isn't filling to the maximum unnecessarily.

Currently I have 1TB dedicated to my disk cache and have to purge it weekly. This is frustrating because not all of the items should be purged, and removing items selectively isn't currently practical.

Thank you for your consideration of this idea.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?