After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. take matte from another comp layer

all effects containing the option "take matte from layer" should allow to take the matte from another comp layer.

this would allow AE to be a much more powerful compositing app

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back vector paint

It would save a lot of time, especially when you want to create a brush stroke effect on texts, instead going through making the path, masking it, and animating the stroke, why can't we just draw with pen tablet and turn it into animation?

It was available in CS3 so I don't know why we don't have it now.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Being able to control the transparency of a mask path.

When masking an image or footage, more often than not I can't see the edge I'm trying to mask. Having the ability to adjust the transparency of the mask from 0-100 would allow greater accuracy and efficiency when masking.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow to move layers away from 3d camera POV without changing in size

When compositing existing designs, illustrations, photos, videos to animate camera movement with depth in 3d space:

It's a pain to scale each layer individually to compensate for the changing apparent size from camera view.

It would be much preferable to have a simple way to temporarily "lock" the scale of the layers whilst moving them back and forth on the Z axis.

I saw this feature in an iPad Software called Mental Canvas (see screenshot). The layer automatically scales proportionately to compensate for distance from the camera. So from camera POV it always remains the same relative size.

I think…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Gradient: Align to Layer

I know it's relatively easy to lock/align the start/endpoints of a gradient to nulls or even just relative to the position parameter via expressions, but a simple check box in the Effect > Generate > Gradient Ramp effect that locks the start & endpoints to the layer instead of the composition would be nice. This feature already exists in the Layer Styles > Gradient Overlay, but I don't always want to use the Layer Styles and would rather use the Graident Ramp effect. Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Drop shadow, option to preserve underlying transparency.

Often, I want product stills to cast their shadows on products down the layer index. But only on the parts that have pixels, to give the appearance of them being in close proximity (like an ambient occlusion pass). Right now the Drop shadow drops its shadow everywhere, regardless of what's underneath it.
    A checkbox option to only cast shadow on layers that have pixels would be swell.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Frequency Spectrum logarithmic

It would be awesome if the Generate -> Audio Spectrum effect would allow the user to switch between showing from the current Linear scale it always uses for the amplitude of the sound to a Logarithmic scale. For example, see this video we made in After Effects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbR6YZL8gg

As you can see, the amplitude difference between 0dB and -6dB uses twice the distance on the screen than it does between -6dB and -12dB. If the user could switch the amplitude scale from Linear to Logarithmic, we'd be able to display a spectrum visualizer that shows more of the quieter audio…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add a "Random Array" expression control

Having a random array expression control would be incredibly useful in tons of scenarios. The control could have options for min and max, how many values the array contains, a timeless checkbox, and some kind of math input (in my case I'd choose "sum" and enter "100").

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Effect Masking Compositing Options

Compositing options for effect masking (which I use a LOT) need A. to have the normal mask apply modes at every instance, so the main mask could be set to None, but where it's applied to an effect, be set to Add Inverted (for example). AT LEAST have the Inverted switch, dammit! I'm tired of having to maintain two identical sets of masks for Add and Subtract modes. B. The Compositing Options controls need to ALSO appear in the Effects Controls Panel below each effect, mirroring their timeline setting.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. [Request] Fully Integrated ‘Blend If’ Functionality Would be an Absolute Game Changer.

After more than a decade using AE, the sole feature that I wish was properly intergrated into the program would be ‘Blend-If’ functionality.

Blend-If is a layer style and allows the user to fade and control a layer’s alpha channel based on It’s own luminosity and/or the luminosity of layers below it.

The feature is incredibly powerful for composition and editing within photoshop and in my opinion would be a massively valuable tool for AE in the same way.

Since it is a photoshop Layer Style property it is already somewhat useable within AE, but only if you only import…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Rotobrush 2.0

The new Rotobrush 2.0 does improve the spline you draw or brush to outline what you need to separate from the background. However, in the latest updates, the propagation and freeze steps hang up on long frame scenes. After much searching on the forums other users have found we need to uninstall the updates for After Effects and go back to 18.1. I just did that and now Rotobrush 2.0 is performing naturally!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Update for preview bug when at aspect ratio 6x pixels in height

I am not the only one who is experiencing this. In version 18.4.1 of AE when you make a comp height size 64 pixels the comp goes black. No matter what you try it goes black. I installed an older version 17.5.0 and it works fine as it should. This has wasted so much of my time on a paid job for which I had to create a comp at 960x64 and it would not let me. What is worse is your so-called Technical experts told me that some ratios were not possible which was a lie as he didn;t…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Using Gyro-Data as tracking data (e.g. from Sony A7S III)

Newer Cameras like the A7S III record not only the Video footage but also gyroscopic data for stabalizing in their own Catalist Browse Software. Now when the camera has data to how it moves within a room, one could think about using this data to create an accurate virtual camera within after effects.
    So instead of software tracking in After effects it uses the actual Gyro-Data. This could be more accurate and way quicker than tracking.

An iPhone app that does similar things is called CamTrackAR. I would love to see this elevated to professional cameras ;-)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Color correcting with region of interest

Hi
    When color correcting skin tones, the region of interest would very useful to isolate image area. Only I just found out, Lumetri scopes show the whole image instead of the cropped area.
    A fix would be nice, please.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow rotobrush to use more than one core by allowing user to rotobrush multiple frames

Rotobrush should have the option of allowing me to rotobrush frames every certain number of seconds. For example if I have a 15 minute clip, I could rotobrush one frame for each minute of the clip. Therefore each of those minutes could be handled by a separate core on my computer. As I have 16 cores, each core would only have to process one minute of video rather than one core doing all the video sequentially.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Clone Layer Effect

I would love to have a Clone Layer Effect as an alternative to precomping a layer and duplicating. This would be applied to a solid and it would copy create an instance/clone of the layer it is pointed at with the choice of using some or all of the effects of the master layer as well as options for using the transform/feather/alpha as well. Other effects could be stacked on top of this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make All Effects 32bit Compatible

I use After Effects for compositing my 3D renders, and I always export 16 or 32 bit EXRs, starting to use ACES. Unfortunately, many, many effects are still only 8 bit, some support 16, and some can do 32. If you don't want to lose me and many other compositors (at least those that are left), please update more effects to 32bit!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Layer effect source

When setting effect layer source, I would like to see this option:

Source
    Masks
    Effects & Masks
    Effects & Masks & Transform

I need this almost every time. Would save a ton of unnecessary precompositing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ignore adjustment layers switch

A simple switch on a given layer to ignore the adjustment layer above it. Would open up so many possibilities and avoid unnecessary precomposition. Please vote and make this a reality.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. bug report - layer panel

AE 2021 - The Layer Panel no longer displayers Motion Path handles for Effects or Motion Tracking. This is a major hindrance when animating and tweaking Effects paths or analysing Motion Tracking problems. See attached comparison from AE 2020 and AE 2021. I have also tested this in AE Beta and the problem persists.
    I am trying to attach jpg examples unsuccessfully.
    Here is a more detailed description:
    AE 2020 >Layers panel displays >Effects motion paths with editable bezier handles; and for >Tracking Motion paths
    AE 2021 Using the same settings, the >Layers panel does not display any handles for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base