After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Parent-based filter operator for Timeline search bar

Additional operator for the Timeline search bar, allowing the user to filter for parent properties.

For example:
    Let's say I have multiple layers, each containing two groups (let’s call them “Top” and “Bottom”), and each containing a path. I want to change the Line Cap on “Top”’s path to rounded. If I search for "cap", then I’m shown the Line Cap options for the paths in both groups in each layer.

It would be great if there were a way to search for something like "top: cap", so that it only shows me properties containing "cap" that also have a…

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dynamic Link seems not to work with projects using cineware

When I work on a project using cineware amd I send it via "Add to Render queue" to AME it won't appear in AME. I then have to workaround with rendering an APR out of AE first.
    Dynamic Link on projects without cineware work perfectly.

I work on an iMacPro (2017) with macOS Catalina (10.15.4)
    and AE is Version 17.0.6, AME 14.1 (both on the newest update)

It used to work all well motnh ago. Does anyone have an idea or solution?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. soft light math changed?

Has the math behind soft light blending mode changed recently? For years, I have used soft light to add effects with a 50% gray solid but now the results are different... I've tested the project settings/color management and can't seem to get this right...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Preview Bug

The new update is full of bugs. Every time I preview a comp AE gets stuck in playback and I can't stop it. AE has been the most reliable and least faulty app Adobe has made. Please don't break it too.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. make SET MATTE work as it should

SET MATTE should work like TRACK MATTES.
    when using a shapelayer as the matte then the effect works fine,
    but not with other footage.

AND NO.... i don't want to precompose every single s***.....
    Make a Checkbox in the effect: work like TRACKMATTE.....done

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. BUG: CC Repetile gives empty pixels gap when applied to an adjustment layer

When applied to an adjustment layer CC RepeTile generates 2 empty extra pixels between the tiles. This is a bug! The problem is present in both AE 2019 and 2020 versions. When applied directly to the footage it seems to work fine.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Proper colour palettes

Give us proper colour palettes like InDesign. If you've used a colour then it just shows up automatically in your palette window. Re-use it wherever and if you change it in there it updates colours project wide. Or group them and change multiple colours together. Would be so useful for iteration and amendments.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. New way to think about After Effects

I think of After Effects as a platform and not a product. It has a nice baseline of features and capabilities, but it's a shell for developers to build it into something for them. It has a plethora of plugins and extensions. And using the language of the web, Javascript, make scripting much more accessible than other packages.

Thinking of AE as a platform means the focus would be on creating a solid, stable, performant foundation. Maybe even creating more powerful development and scripting tools.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug with .setPropertyParameters() for Dropdown Control

This method seems to generate a "Duplicate item names are not allowed" error when using an array where an index is a substring of another index. This example specifically triggers it: ["HeadTop", "Head", "HeadBottom"]; will not be accepted by the method (the "Head" index seems to throw it off) - But: ["HeadTop", "HeadMiddle", "HeadBottom"] will be accepted.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bug: Errors when importing Animate .fla into AE project

As of the recent 17.0.2 update, I'm finding that I can't import Animate .fla files into AE.

The import dialog hangs for a while (whited-out in a non responsive state), then returns an error simply stating: "An error occured while importing this file. Please try again.". This error often appears behind the import dialog, and is easily missed.

This seems to happen with all .fla files, so I don't think it's a specifically broken file. On the previous AE / An version I had gotten around 50% of the way through a large project with fla importing working fine, and…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show delta time when shifting keyframes

When shifting a layer in time, I get a useful display in the info panel telling me, how much I have shifted the layer already (delta time). Please give the same info when shifting keyframes. There only the new time of the keyframe is displayed, so I have to remember the old time and do the math to know, how much the keyframe was shifted.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Application icons are now inherently confusing to students

This isn't specific to After Effects, but all of the new purple icons in CC. I have students that rely on visual recognition to identify the various applications in the dock (and since the machines are locked, this can't be modified). Now that Adobe has decided to make every application icon look identical in the latest CC2020 update, I'm going to have spend time I could be using to teach the application, to showing them how to differentiate between all of the CC applications. This is idiotic, so please change it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Layer Styles Blend modes not working correctly

When choosing Inner Shadow or Drop Shadow Layer Style, the screen Blending Mode is not working as it should. Screen acts like Darken or Multiply. Color Dodge etc is also not working as it should.

Viceversa, all darken Blend Modes do not work with Inner Glow. Multiply acts like Screen here.

I don't think this is intended behaviour. Although Shadows are usually meant to darken the underlying colors, when I choose Screen it should be Screen. If I want Multiply it should be Multiply.

There are presets available that use Inner Shadow with Screen and it is a pity that…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. About New Rendering method

Hello Adobe,
    In after effects render a big project it might be spend lot of times.So I have one idea for that if it can be possible.
    For Example:-
    I have a computer their ram is around 16 GB.
    So after effects use this ram to render.
    But I say I have a storage in my computer about 50 GB left to fulfil my computer storage,so in this situation after effects use 50% use my remain storage as a ram to render the file and another 50% for a device as it is,if it is possible?
    If possible so made…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Don't require track mattes to be above the layer it modifies (and also allow re-use)

Requiring a track matte to be right above the layer it modifies seems like an archaic convention at best. Get rid of that requirement and make them like parent layers which can be anywhere and used by many layers.

332 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. After Effects 2019 error on exit

After effects error: string memory leak (83::2)
    I get this message on exit.
    I'm on windows 10, after effects 2019

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Autosave before application crashes

please just make an autosave before after effects crashes, like make the application aware that it's going to crash and make it autosave your project because you never know when it's going to crash and you have to redo the entire thing after you reopen after effects.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Hold key frames should disable motion blur for the property

I really would love to see the option to have hold key frames disable the rendering of motion blur. One example is that I have footage the has a time remap that ramps speed quickly from slow motion to sped up motion. I have masks that need to roto out a couple objects, but the motion blur jumps during the speed changes.this makes me split masks for the speed changes and adds a level of complexity to my comp.

Another example deals with a workflow that I use regularly that brings several similar shots into one comp so they can…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. app.open() crash

Just calling app.open() in jsx crash after effect

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base