After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create Editable Text Bug

I've discovered and confirmed a bug with the help of your support team.

In AE 2019.1, (I tested on Win10, another user was on MacOS with same result) when you right click on a PSD layer that was text and hit convert to editable text, it was crashing for me about half the time, with no indication why since it was working on the same fonts and same projects sometimes.

When i tested one of the crashing layers INSTEAD of right clicking and going to the MENU Layer>Reveal>Create Editable text, it worked flawlessly.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

In a simple test, I can not reproduce this problem.

Can you provide us with a PSD and an After Effects project that causes the crash? This will help us investigate.

Please post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

2. NEW EXPRESSIONS VISUALIZATION BUG

The new expressions visualization should show you the whole expression when you hit it once in the timeline.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please clarify the problem? Screenshots would be helpful.

In the October 2018 release of After Effects CC (version 16.0), clicking into the expression field will expand the height of the expression field to fit as much of the expression as possible, but will not expand past the bottom of the Timeline panel. (In other words, it will show the whole expression if the expression is short, but it if it’s longer than can be viewed in the Timeline panel, the expression field will only be expanded to the bottom of the Timeline.)

If this is not functioning for you, please provide more detail. Or if you desire different behavior than described above, please tell us what you’d like to see changed.

3. After Effects 2019 won't batch replace retargeted jpgs!!!

This has been an issue since AE2017 PLEASE FIX THIS! GAWD!@##

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please elaborate on the problem? What specific steps are you taking, and what happens, or does not happen?

A screen capture video of the problem may be helpful, as would a project file that demonstrates the problem.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

4. AE 2019 Crashing entire computer on startup

I don't mean I have to force the software closed. I mean the mouse cursor stops moving and the computer becomes completely unresponsive. This is the only software that manages to crash so hard I have to resort to holding the power button and forcing a shut down. Which could very possibly corrupt anything else that happens to be open at the time.

I'm on Windows 8.1 with a laptop that is running on Intel graphics (no video card). It often alerts me that the graphics display driver crashed on launch, but recovered. Once in a while the entire computer…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We really appreciate your post, however, User Voice is primarily for feature requests and bug reports. It appears your issue is more of a troubleshooting problem which could be solved more easily by our support team. You can open a case with them via call or chat at this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Please note that Windows 8.1 is not supported for the October 2018 update to After Effects CC (version 16.0). The minimum OS requirement for After Effects 16.0 is Windows 10 version 1703, or macOS 10.12, or later. Full system requirements can be found here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html

5. please add GPU and CPU both work at a time for preview render specially and final render time . not after preview Render create work GPu.

please add GPU and CPU both work at a time for preview render specially and final render time . not after preview Render create work GPu.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

Can you please elaborate on what behavior you’d like to see changed in After Effects?

After Effects uses a mix of CPU and GPU rendering, when the Project is set to use Mercury GPU acceleration (Project Settings > Video Rendering & Effects). Use of the GPU is dependent on whether or not your composition uses GPU-accelerated features of After Effects, such as GPU-accelerated effects, layer motion blur, or R3D raw debayering. Features that are not GPU-accelerated are rendered using the CPU, for both rendering previews and for export renders.

With that understanding, what would you like to see changed in After Effects?

6. Fix Precomps in AE2019

Precomps don't act as they used to. They're broken. Expressions don't carry as they should. I set up twenty text layers to count up with expressions at different rates and after precomping this build, nothing would count, they just looked stuck.

Furthermore, assets precomped won't stay together. Screenshot below shows what AE2019 is doing. The precomped piece can move on the left, however the grouped graphic on the right remains and won't follow as it should. This makes zero sense. I think this is a bug.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information to be able to investigate this problem. Can you provide us with a project file (.aep) that demonstrates the issue?

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

7. Missing plugin notice gives no information on where the missing plugin layer is

Opening up an older project, you sometimes get a notification about a missing plugin, but then no information on how to track down where the problem plugin is.

How many layers have the issue?

Can the layers and comps have a warning symbol so you can see where the problem is?

Can there be some sort of log that lists what comp and what layers are missing plugins?

It's really annoying to hunt around for them, delete/replace them, reopen the scene and it still give the same error because you couldn't find them all.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this feature request.

Currently in After Effects, you can use the Search fields at the top of the Project or Timeline panels to search for either:
    - The keyword “Missing Effects” (which is a saved term if you click on the magnifying glass icon). This will show all comps in the Project panel, or layers in the Timeline panel that reference effects that could not be loaded.
    - The name of the effect that was reported as missing.

Does the above functionality meet your needs, or do you still desire additional functionality?

8. Render Items all greyed out

Since the install op 2019, both 2018 and 2019 no longer hilight items to be rendered in the Queue. All is dull and grey...

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information to be able to investigate this problem. Can you please provide us with a project file that causes this error, as well as a System Info report? (Apple menu > About This Mac > System Report, then File > Save)

10. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We need more information in order to investigate this problem.

• What OS and version are you using? i.e., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14
    • Are you able to reproduce this problem, or does it only happen once?
    • Do you get any error messages associated with this crash? If so, what do they say?
    • Do you get the Adobe Crash Reporter dialog? If not, choose Help > Adobe Crash Reporter from inside After Effects. We like receiving crash reports, and prefer that you use the “Always show this dialog” option so that you can fill in the additional information after the crash. When the Adobe Crash Report dialog appears, please always provide notes about what you did before the crash occurred. If you have filed the bug, please include a the bug number in the notes. We also appreciate if you fill in your email…
  11. Bug with several layers with mask or shape

When I do several layer with mask, or serverals shapes layer :

The paths of the different layers hide each other

The presence of two layers causes displacements of the paths

I did the last updates.
    Ae works on windows 10

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. vertically zoom on waveform

Sometimes when using high-bass songs the audio waveform just turns into a block, so to vertically zoom on it will show further details on the waveform in order to see different beats.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for submitting this feature request.

In After Effects, you can vertically zoom the waveform by placing the mouse cursor underneath the waveform (the cursor icon will change to a vertical double-arrow), and then clicking and dragging.

Does this meet your need, or do you want different functionality in After Effects. If so, please elaborate.

13. After Effects error: internal verification failure {no current context}

After Effects error: internal verification failure {no current context}

Error appears as I am trying to complete the beginner tutorial within AE followed by this error message:

After Effects can’t continue: very unexpected uncaught exception while application running

I have the latest AE version (16.0.1)
    Mid 2015 MacBook Pro
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor
    RAM is 16 GB

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. AE 2018 Crashes (15.1.2)

Having a lot of issues with After Effects on Mac recently. The program crashes when I attempt to preview and sometimes when I try to send to Media Encoder.

I have attached the report log below.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report, and for attaching the crash log.

The crash log indicates that the GenArts Sapphire plug-in is causing the crash. (See Thread 28 in the log.) Have you contacted BorisFX/GenArts regarding this problem?

Also, have you tested this comp in the current release of After Effects CC, version 16.0.1? You can install this version via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

If you need further assistance with this issue, this could be addressed more easily by our support team. You can open a case with them via call or chat at this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

15. A keyboard shortcut to add a keyframe to which ever property you have selected.

If I have any property selected in the timeline I would love the ability to use a keyboard shortcut to add a keyframe, I realise you can do this on a small few of the properties, Scale, Position, etc... BUT it would be great to have the ability to do this on which ever property you have selected. If you can already do this, my apologies, but I don't think you can. Please generous Adobe staff can you work your magic. :-)

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this feature request.

To create a keyframe for selected properties, you can choose the Animation > Add Keyframe command. (The name of this command will change if you only have one property selected, ex. Add Opacity Keyframe.)

This command does not have a keyboard shortcut defined by default. However, you can assign a keyboard shortcut for it: choose Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts. More information about assigning keyboard shortcuts can be found here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/keyboard-shortcuts-reference.html#VisualKeyboardShortcutEditor

Given this information, do you still have a request for us? That is, do you want a shortcut defined by default? If so, which shortcut? (One that is already not in use by After Effects.)

16. quick selection tool

put the quick selection tool could be used better for rotoscoping selection of an object. would save time for masking

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bug Report: Can't paste from Premiere Pro

"After Effects warning: Can't paste from Premiere, Premiere Pro Importer is missing."

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bug - I cannot open JSON data project in CC2018 update 15.1.1, created in 15.1.0

Cannot open a previously created data driven project, it says: Problem encountered with file. Conversion to MGJSON using converter JSON with id com.adobe.sensor.jsonConverter failed

?????????????????

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. OPENCL stopped working after MAC 10.13.5 update

Once updated to Mac OS 10.13.5, OPENCL error came on all Adobe projects, AE, Premiere Pro, and ME, allowing only Software mode. This is with MAC included AMD Pro Vega 64.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please provide more info about the errors you’re receiving? A screenshot of the error message would be useful.

When does the error occur? When you open a project? Or when you launch After Effects? Does the problem change if you modify the Project Settings > Video Rendering & Effects option?

20. H264 import as well as export not supported??? (AE15.1.1)

Hey
    At the post facility where I work we upgraded to After Effects 15.1.1 on monday, reassured that h264 (.mp4) was still possible via AME + that QT7 codecs were still supported for IMPORT (as per release notes https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html)

Unfortunately, AE just hangs indefinitely when importing QT H264... which is going to be a logistical nightmare for old projects that need to be reopened containing QT H264 files....

FYI, running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 (over 14 workstations)
    No change whether footage on networkdrive, local drive.

Any suggestions?? urgently, if poss...

Thanks

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

H.264, along with many other codecs, inside a QuickTime file remain supported for import in After Effects 15.1 and Premiere Pro 12.1.

Can you please send us a link to a file that demonstrates the problem? We will inspect it to evaluate the problem. If you prefer not to post it publicly, you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com.

Most of the problems we have encountered with QuickTime files using supported codecs are that they use little-used QuickTime 7 functionality that is not natively supported by After Effects or Premiere Pro. That, or the file itself is malformed in some way. In previous versions of After Effects and Premiere Pro, the 32-bit QuickTime process could be used to process these files; now that it is gone, any such files that relied on QuickTime 7 functionality will fail to import.

We can look at…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base