After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Memory leak (no error)

I have a memory leak issue:

I have a complicated project with lots of expressions, but my Windows computer can handle that (enough RAM, memory, ...)

But since the 2022 version of AE, my memory usages for AE goes form 5GB to 22GB or more in a matter of minutes. Even when I'm not doing anything in AE itself, the memory usage just keeps rising.

(I don't get an 83::2 error from AE itself, like most other people get.)

When I clear my memory via AE it goes down to 16GB or a little bit lower, but that's still very…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Select and label timeline elements to move them together in time

I spend too much time hunting and pecking for which timeline elements are associated with corresponding movement in the viewport. Shifting layers, in/out points, and keyframes in time often takes multiple selection passes. And there's no way to store that selection, so they each have to be selected every time they need to be adjusted (and in/out points can't even be selected so they all need to be done separately... every time!).

Selectable in/out points and labels/groups for ALL timeline elements--any combination of keyframes, markers, in/out points, and layers--would strengthen the visual connection between the timeline and the viewport AND…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. ACES 2065-1 flag in OpenEXR files

When writing out an OpenEXR file (either from Ps, Ae, or Me), the required flag is not set in the OpenEXR file that the file is coded as "SMTPE ACES 2065-1". As a result, it is then loaded just as a sRGB based OpenEXR. Perhaps even compressed, also not along the ACES guidelines for this.

That flag is a tiny piece of information in the file, and if provided, I hope it will be also read. So, yes, I have practically two requests.
    This information could be taken from the Project Settings in Ae.

I know that many people are…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Support AU Audio plugins in AE

Allowing AU audio plugins inside After Effects in the same way as Premiere would be fantastic!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Improve "inline" styling of text via Expressions

It would be great to not only be able to use the "getStyleAt()" method, but also implement something like "setStyleAt()" in order to style portions of the text separately.

It would also help to be able to chain different styles together. Right now, it's impossible to do proper text styling with different style types programmatically. It would be incredibly helpful, especially for Templates / MOGRTs.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Forensic metadata to be baked into every render

When I come across a video clip that I created some time in the past, I may want to find out what project it came from so that I might be able to make changes to that clip and render out a new version. Currently there's no automatic way for me to know what AE project the rendered clip came from, and I have to rely on my ability to remember or to have named it a helpful name or to have place the clip in a folder that helps give a clue as to what project it belongs to.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. gradient ramp transfer modes

I often wish that the Gradient Ramp effect would include a transfer mode option so that I could directly overlay the effect onto the same layer.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When typing, the last letter you type is usually missing unless you type another character.

As per the title, when typing into a text box in After Effects, the last letter you type is missing until you type another letter.

For example, if I type COMPRESSION, the result I get is COMPRESSIO. If I hit another character (any other character), for example A, I then get COMPRESSIONA.

This bug appears on both Windows and Mac and has been around for at least the last few versions of AE, probably as far back as the 2019/2020 version.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Photoshop Smart Object Support

It would be neat if Photoshop Smart Objects worked in After Effects. It's basically just pre-compositions. I was surprised to see this wasn't already a feature.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. After Effects error: Keylight out of memory. (4) (25::241)

After Effects error: Keylight out of memory. (4) (25::241)

Keylight (1.2) Playback error, Pops up after every play and pause action

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Two sequences with the same source layer in a project cannot properly have different frame blending on that source

1. Create a sequence in a project ("source")
    2. Create another sequence ("wrapper") which imports the first, then time warp it to be a bit slower. Leave the Frame Blending at "none"
    3. Copy/Paste the wrapper, then in only one of the wrappers, change the source Frame Blending to "Pixel Motion".

Expected: AE preview frames, and renders via Premiere Pro import, both respect each sequence's respective frame blending options.

Actual: Only one of them is actually respected for both sequences. Which one is used is pretty arbitrary, depends on what AE is using to render the frames. Once the user fiddles with things…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Bug: After Effects 22.0 Freezing On Splash Screen AND Causes Other Apps Not to Start

Since installing 22.0, it hangs on splash screen. Not only Afx, but also C4D now, and several apps won't start. I had to uinstall afx and delete all the Adobe folders in AppData/Roaming... My other apps returned to normal. Once I reinstalled Afx it all started again.

Sometimes splash screen hangs on "Cleaning Up, Anywhere," sometimes it's "Mocah." Sometimes I see "Adobe DVA 2022" in the task manager (sometimes not). When I "analyze the wait chain" for AfterFX.exe it says it's waiting to finish network I/O

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. AE 2022 V22.3.0 does not update layer in composition viewport when transform parameters are changed

In the latest and greatest AE 2022 22.3.0, when I change a layer's Transform parameters, like adjusting rotation for example, the layer does not visually update per the change in view in the Composition viewer. This happens frequently and on a M1 Max MacBook Pro 16" with the latest macOS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I have been using After Effects for 10 years. Undeniably a great product but good lord, please, for the love of anything you care about deve

I have been using After Effects for 10 years. Undeniably a great product but good lord, please, for the love of anything you care about developers of Adobe, do something about the errors. They get better or worse with every update. And I get it, a lot is going in the backend. But if you are going to continuously cause my project to crash, please give me some context. 'After effects error: zero denominator converting ratio denominators (17::18)', 'could not parse mask shape on clipboard' and many other obscure message errors that come up are not helpful. Instead of me…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Stability, make a crash free version. I will go back to CS6

Lets do a new feature, call it Retro Mode. When you have the patch, it has the same amount of crashes and bugs and real time playback as AE CS6 did 10 years ago. I would pay $$$ for that.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow us to check work area duration

Just like Marking In and Out in premiere gives you a duration on the Program monitor in Premiere Pro, can you make adjustments within After Effects that allows to view the duration marked between Beginning and End?
    Currently, users have to estimate the duration basis calculations on the Info Panel. This is extremely difficult to do if you work in Broadcast and need specific layers output for specific durations.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Saving is slow, but fast when clicking outside After Effects

When you save a bigger project it looks like the saving process takes forever or even very long. We found a simple workarround - clicking outside After Effects - and snap - the file is saved. You can click on the windows Icon or in another programm. Whe you have Autosave every 5 minutes like we have its a time saver. It looks like AE do to many draw calls here or something that is only done when the application is in the foreground. Please check this problem. It exists since 2018!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Play a sound when a render is going to overwrite from the render queue

It would be great to add an audio ping when a render is going to overwrite another render - there's been a number of times when I've had a set of renders queued up and I thought I'd started the queue, but it was waiting for a response to confirm I wanted to overwrite the files and I didn't notice the dialog box.

An audio notification would help avoid this situation.

To be clear, I'm referring to the second 'do you want to overwrite' box, the one that appears when you press render in the RQ.

Cheers!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 3D Camera Tracker - Missing Functionality

The 3D camera Tracker is missing some vital tools to make it usable in a professional environment.

1. USER TRACKS: AE already has point tracking. Let the 3D camera tracker use those points as user defined tracks that have more weight than the auto generated tracks and help guide the auto tracks to be more accurate. If you have enough User Tracks, we should have the option to turn off the auto-tracking generation.

2. MASKS: there needs to be a way to mask areas off with out precomping so the tracker will ignore anything inside the masks. This can be either using…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Setting camera's iris shape other than fast rectangle halts After Effects

Camera settings with low aperture value like .1 .3 and other than fast rectangle never renders the frame. Fast rectangle renders instantly.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug.

I made a quick attempt to reproduce this problem but could not.

Could you please provide us with more info:

• The exact version of After Effects that you're using, from the About After Effects dialog. (Ex., the current public release is 22.4.0 build 56.)
    • The OS and version you're using.
    • A project file that demonstrates the problem OR a specific set of steps that I can follow that causes the problem.
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base