Skip to content

After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. Ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!

117 results found

1. Restrict/limit font choice in "Enable custom font selection" in mogrt panel

In Adobe After Effects CC2019 you've added the option for motion graphics designers to add a "Custom font selection". However, I don't want my clients to be able to access all fonts (ie not Comic Sans). Neither do I want them to be able to set too low/high values in size.

There should be a selection panel in the AE Essential Graphics panel letting motion graphics designers enable just a handfull of fonts available for the client.

Other than that, thank you for the 2019 update. Much appreciated.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

As of the 17.0 release of AE, you can now use the new Dropdown Menu Expression controller to create a limited number of states and options for your Mogrt end-users. We also added text properties to our expressions engine so you can drive font, font size, colors, faux styles, among other things. Use these two new features together and you’ll be in business!!

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/create_dropdowns_using_expressions.html
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/expressions-text-properties.html

2. Bug report : Effets / Correction colorimétrique / Courbes

Sorry my english is very bad.

Bug testé sur plusieurs machines :
    Depuis la mise à jour AECC 2019 16.0.0 (Build 235) sur macOS Sierra
    Effets => Correction colorimétrique => Courbes => Automatique fait planter After Effects. Impossible de l'utiliser en "Automatique"

Merci

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This bug was fixed in the December 2018 release of After Effects CC (version 16.0.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.0.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

Google Translate (Fr > En) of the original post:
    Bug tested on several machines:
    Since the update AECC 2019 16.0.0 (Build 235) on macOS Sierra
    Effects => Color Correction => Curves => Automatic causes After Effects to crash. Can not use it in “Automatic”

Google Translate (En > Fr) of comment above:
    Ce bogue a été corrigé dans la version de décembre 2018 d’After Effects CC (version 16.0.1). Vous pouvez installer cette version via l’application de bureau Creative Cloud.

Une liste des bogues corrigés dans After Effects 16.0.1 est disponible à l’adresse suivante: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

3. AE CC 2019 new Mocha workflow, applying tracking data to other layers

AE CC 2019 new Mocha workflow, applying tracking data to other layers does not work in german language AE, only in the english AE version.
    Please make it work alos in non english AE versions.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. GPU accelerated Red Media

In all other software I work with (Resolve, Premiere, FCPX) Red files are GPU accelerated so they playback much faster. This would be great to also have in After Effects.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

After Effects can already use the GPU to accelerate debayering of RED raw R3D files. This is the same Mercury GPU Acceleration technology as used in Premiere Pro.

To enable Mercury GPU Acceleration in After Effects, choose File > Project Settings, click on the Video Rendering and Effects tab, and set Use to Mercury GPU Acceleration.

Once R3D frames are debayered by the GPU, they are passed to After Effects and treated the same as frames from any other source. i.e., To preview a comp, frames are rendered and loaded into RAM. This process may still be slow if you are using very large frames; to improve playback performance, reduce the preview resolution of the comp (in the Composition or Preview panels) or the frame rate or skip rate of the preview (in the Preview panel). You may also want to consider…

5. Render EXRs with straight alpha

Currently only EXRs with premultiplied alpha is supported. EXRs with straight alpha would allow alphas to be delivered in the same file as a composite

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Expression Libraries don't work with AME

When exporting use Adobe Media Encoder, any properties that use expressions sourced from a JSX file (footage("lib.jsx").sourceData) don't work.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →
  7. RAM preview.

Im sure you guys have had multiple requests for improving RAM preview. I run an 5k imac with 32GB ram and AMD Radeon M395X 4096 MB and it still struggles. If you can considerably speed everyones previewing and rendering you will make many many people very very happy.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  8. scripting access to guides

It'd be great if scripts could access a composition's guides to get their positions, create new guides, remove guides, and move existing guides.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature was added in the April 2019 release of After Effects (version 16.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

Documentation of scripting access to guides can be found here:
    http://docs.aenhancers.com/other/viewer/?highlight=guides

A list of new features and changes in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new/2019-1.html

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

9. "Create Nulls from Paths" functions should generate nulls ABOVE the layer you've created them from, not at top of layer stack.

Currently when you make nulls from your paths they are placed at the top of the layer stack instead of directly above the layer you've made them from. This doesn't make a ton of sense to me and would definitely be neater/quicker to have them directly above the layer they're controlling. This is a simple fix and would definitely speed up my work flow.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Convert multiple Text Layers to Point Text or Paragraph Text at once

In order to convert the currently selected Text Layers into Point Text or Paragraph Text, the user needs to right-click in the Composition panel with the type tool, and choose the "Convert To Paragraph Text" or "Convert To Point Text" submenu.

But if multiple Text Layers of the same type (Point Text or Paragraph Text) are selected the "Convert To Paragraph Text" or "Convert To Point Text" submenu is greyed out.

So it seems the only way to convert multiple text layers is to select each layer one by one and right-click "Convert to..." every time.

Please, give After Effects…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature was added in the April 2019 release of After Effects (version 16.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

A list of new features and changes in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new/2019-1.html

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

11. mute audio during non-realtime ram preview

Right now when you RAM preview a file with audio, if the preview is not running at the right frame rate (such as previewing for the first time) the audio glows all darth vader. Ideally AE would be smart enough to just mute if the audio cannot play back realtime.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Admin →
  12. BugL: AE v15.1 breaks photoshop sequences

On updating my Adobe apps to the latest version (15.1.0 build 166), After Effects gives the following errors on opening existing files (after it has converted them to the latest version): "The Photoshop library operation failed". The AE projects comprise Photoshop sequences. If I click on a sequence I get the error: "After Effects error: (83::2)".

The files all worked fine in the previous (15.0.1 version of AE.

The individual Photoshop files in the sequences open fine in Photoshop.

Premiere won't play sequences with the AE tracks 'on', but will if the AE track output is 'off'.

If I create…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. RTL support (right-to-left languages)

Many Adobe products support RTL text, for quite a long time actually, but After Effects is still behind regarding this issue. There are posts from years ago requesting to support languages such as Hebrew and Arabic, but it seems as if no one really cares. I personally speak Hebrew, and I know there are not many people around the world who uses my language on a daily basis, so fixing this might not be cost productive for you guys, but Arabic is the 6th spoken language in the world. There's a trick you can do in After Effects to get…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Admin →
  14. issue with shadows

Hello,
    i have some issues with shadows on after effects cc19.

For the same cc18 project i have two differents results.

CC18 is OK :
    https://puu.sh/BZTxL/6e01c93598.jpg

CC19 is not :
    https://puu.sh/BZTy9/a7d76bdf92.jpg

Here the file if you want to check :
    https://puu.sh/BZTFW/820a7196d0.zip

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bug report: After Effects CC 2019 (German Version) wigglerama script does not work

In the german version of After Effects the wigglerama-script seems to think it is the english version and puts out errors for all scripted properties after the update.
    "Nervousness" for example should be "Nervosität" and so on. On my old 2018-version everything worked.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In the October 2018 update to After Effects CC (version 16.0), the Wigglerama preset (and several others) were updated to make them compatible with the new JavaScript engine for expressions. It appears that the expressions in the preset were not localized correctly. Our apologies for the disruption.

This bug was fixed in the December 2018 release of After Effects CC (version 16.0.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.0.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

16. expressions

Changes to the new javascript expressions editor:

1. Double click a word should only select that word. Not spaces punctuation or other words.

2. Code hinting would be very nice. This could include the build in properties and methods. But also words already used in that expresssion. Look at Sublime Text.

3. Selecting multiple lines and pressing TAB or Shift+TAB should control indentation of those lines.

4. Color coding would be nice.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Bug Report: sourceReactAtTime in AE 2019

Bug Report: sourceReactAtTime expression in AE 2019 when applied to TextArea returns the width/height of the box, not the text.

Is this intentional?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

Please read the October 25 comment from Thomas on this page. His description is correct; in the April 2018 update for After Effects CC (version 15.1), a change was made to the sourceRectAtTime() expression to recognize the bounds of a paragraph text layer’s text box, if the includeExtentsB parameter is set to true.

To get the same result as previous versions of After Effects, set the includeExtentsB parameter to false.

18. Show full path to output file in render queue.

Show full path to output file in render queue.
    When I render many compositions in queue, I can set output path to selected comps in one dialog. Sometimes I made mistakes in selection and I can't find some output files in folder where I want to render it.
    Now I can see file path only with right click «Duplicate with file name».

Please add the full path text to render queue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The path to the output destination is already visible in the Render Queue. When you expand the Output Module section, the path is the first item in that section. The path is also a hot link so you can go directly to that location. (I would add a screenshot here, but the User Voice interface doesn’t let me do that.)

If this does not meet your needs, please file a new request with more specifics. Diagrams or mockups are often helpful in describing the functionality you’d like to see.

19. Failure in auto trace preview.(BUG)

Failure in auto trace preview.(BUG)
    With Macbook - PRO Retina, the preview display of the trace will be displayed at 4 times the image. I want a solution.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Expression font size preference

High res monitors - aging eyes... that expression text is getting small.

Can we have a prefs option for font size?
    It's important to be able to see this text clearly when the difference between , or . or between : and ; can be make or break...

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

After Effects

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base