After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Closing one of two (or more) composition panels should make your other composition panels larger.

Currently when you have two more composition panels open (i.e. one is locked and you are making changes in a precomp and looking at the effects of that change in a different comp), the default behavior when you close one of those composition panels is to collapse any surrounding panels inward, leaving the other composition panels the same size.

This is annoying, because rarely do you want the effect control panel or your plug-in panel to expand. What you usually want is for the other composition panel to take up the space where the two were.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. BUG - Project Panel reset items position

Every time I do CTRL-C (copy) on a layers in composition panel all items in Project panel resets its position. Often I work on dozens of Compositions and need to go through some and copy some layers from one to other after I hit CTRL-C I have to scroll Project panel to look for my destination composition despite of that it was just in place where I left Project panel before pressing CTRL-C in composition. Its just annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. After Effects isn't importing a multi-layer tiff file as a composition.

After Effects isn't importing a multi-layer tiff file as a composition. It goes through the motions but nothing appears in the project window.

I can import as footage and allow it to select a layer or flatten the image, and it imports as expected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. rotobrush 2 crashes w/ Linearize Working Space Checked

Was experiencing crashes when using Rotobrush 2 - AE would instantly crash when clicking a rotobrush selection (green brush). Cleared prefs, purged cache, saved media and project to desktop...nothing worked - finally tried disabling Linear Working Space in project settings - FIXED. Rotobrush 2 does not seem to be stable in a Linear 1.0 working space.

After Effects 17.7
    Windows 10
    256GB Ram
    Titan RTX

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Losing the ability to manipulate the objects in the 3-d space

Every so often when a scene in AE is 3-d tracked I lose the ability to manipulate the objects in the 3-d space. I click on the object in the scene, the item in the editing bay, and every other way to make the 3-d handles appear and nothing works. When this happens it means I have to start from scratch because I can no longer move the objects. In addition I can not make the 3-d trackers reappear in the scene, even if I change the size of the track points. This typically brings them back into the scene…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 17.7 crashing opening project with missing files

AE 17.7 crashing when opening [AE 17.6] project file with 2 missing assets (2 small prores422 mov files). Had to roll back to AE17.6. Opened same project file in 17.6 and it also said that 2 files are missing, but did not crash like 17.7 did.
    I'm so tired of this. It's like walking through a minefield. Before Creative Cloud AE versions were more stable - someone there was responsible for the product they are shipping.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Render Error: -1609629695 due to Levels Effects on one of the layers.

I could not render my work in After Effects or in Media Encoder. I get the error message:

Export Error
    Error compiling movie.

Render Error

Render returned error.

Writing with exporter: H.264
    Writing file type: H264
    Around timecode: 00:00:00:08
    Rendering at offset: 0,000 seconds
    Component: H.264 of type Exporter
    Selector: 9
    Error code: -1609629695

So I started to disable layer by layer one by one and render again until I narrowed down the problem - This was due to layer that had "Levels" effect. Once I turned off the Effect everything worked fine. Your welcome.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. In After Effects 17.7 the mercury transmit does not work ....in Premiere 14.9 instead it works.

In After Effects 17.7 the mercury transmit does not work ....in Premiere 14.9 instead it works.
    I have MacBook Pro (16 pollici, 2019)
    2,3 GHz Intel Core i9 8 core
    16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Hi, just seems the layer sequencer isn't working

See attached photoshop file, I took screenshots and pasted them in with a walkthrough of what I''m doing on.

I've been a tester on a few softwares so just thought give a brief run down. Wasn't end of world, just had to do a lot of layer duplication.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. TEXT cursor BUG / ERROR

When using the "all caps" feature in the character panel, the cursor in the composition window inserts a double space after the last character.

The other very annoying bug is when I have the text cursor selector hovering over 3 text layers in a composition (two or more text layers are HIDDEN, only the TOP one remains visible) the text selector ALWAYS selects the HIDDEN text layer, even though a) they are BEHIND, AND b) HIDDEN.

I'm so done with Adobe's monoply honestly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Expression replaces special characters with basic alphabet for layer.source.name

Hi, I have a bug to report.

If I import a file with special characters the expression engine interprets the basic characters when using layer.source.name (eg. ö and ç become o and c).

Similarly, if the layer name is edited (eg. to remove the file extension) the string is still sanitised in this way when using layer.name.

My workaround is to copy the layer name to a text editor and paste it back. It appears the same in the UI, with the special characters, but now the expression engine reads it correctly too.

Thanks,
    LY

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. CTRL+ALT+A no longer selects all visible properties

Pressing this combination used to select all visible properties. now it just causes random windows to open and close. Appears to be a bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Black preview

The preview frame is black. It no longer has a predefined size. When zooming in / out, the frame does not move, nothing happens. As if there is a black composition of infinite size while I have layers.
    I restarted my pc for the first time, everything is back to normal. Then by relaunching the software to continue the project, the bug returned.
    The preview takes into account the sound, but not the image.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. What the h.. The rotoscoop tool is HUGLY buggy

The rotoschoping tool is aweful
    It disapears, the freezing doesn't actually freeze the selection and the mask remaps
    Aweful, a waste of time. I will look for an other tool I can't believe I pay for this

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. [BUG] Roto-brush freezing errors

1. Paint Roto-brush to good result
    2. Freeze
    3. Freezing produces different and wrong result
    4. :(
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Error 37::3 + Error 37::13

it would be great if i could save the project, so I don't loose everything I did because of this combination error.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. After Effects Suddenly Quits when manually typing numbers into current-time display box

After Effects Suddenly Quits when manually typing numbers into current-time display box. This bug has been plaguing me for over a year now on multiple different computers (all macs), multiple updates of After Effects. When I enter manual timecode into the current-time display box in the upper left hand corner of the timeline, After Effects will often suddenly quit. This happens very regularly. It happens to me on macs I've used at offices. It happens on my old computer, it happens on my laptop, I just bought a new computer and installed a fresh version of the latest program and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. mpeg 2 video failing to import

Version 17.1.3 is no longer importing MPEG 2 Long GOP HDV 720P footage. I have older footage from a JVC GY HD250 that still opens in Premiere, but the After Effects project will no longer conform the footage. So, I open AE to check the project, to find that footage, and any MPEG 2 I try to import, will import without error, but only displays black. Brand new Wintel machine with RTX 2080 super card. Other AE projects work fine, just not ones with this footage. Any workaround? I don't even think I can re-render the footage in Media Encoder,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. [BUG] Auto-Save stops working if AE fails to delete the previous auto-save

There's a bug with After Effects where, if for any reason, After Effects fails to delete an older auto-saved file, the auto-save feature just stops working, and no new auto-saves are created.

In my case, AE failed to delete the older auto-save cause it was locked by Perforce.

This should NEVER be the case. After Effects should warn the user it could not delete the auto-save (which it already does. That's good), but it should never stop doing further auto-saves after that.

Auto-save should always work, regardless of what's going on.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bug Report - Layer/Camera/Link Focus Distance To Layer does not work!

3D Camera 'Link Focus Distance to Layer' does not work. When initially linking the focus distance, it is set correctly. But as soon as you orbit the camera around an orbit null, the focus distance no longer stays locked to the focus layer. Also, and bizarrely, if the orbit null is deleted the focus distance resumes the correct lock. After a lot of experimenting and 2 completely useless and infuriating sessions with Adobe support (Adobe - your tech support sucks - I have NEVER had a satisfactory experience with your tech support), I discovered that the problem appears to be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base