Skip to content

After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. Ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!

117 results found

1. Support the HAP codec

The HAP codec, which is massive in the live video industry, is no longer supported.

Please bring it back? It would be very nice.

521 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. BUG:Inaccurate results when setting displayStartTime via script

After Effects does some bad math when I try to set the displayStartTime of a comp via script.
    When I attempt to set the displayStartTime of a 30fps comp to frame 1000 (33.333333333333 seconds).
    The result startTime is instead 33.3333320617676, which rounds down to frame 999.
    However, setting the startFrame to 1000 manually in the comp settings does make the startTime 33.3333333333333, which should be the expected result via script.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Label Colors for Keyframes

Allow users to use the same label colors but for keyframes similar to markers. This would definitely be helpful for character animation to help organize different loops or cycles. Simply add a list to the context menu when right clicking on selected keyframes.

650 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello everyone,  

I am very happy to let you know that Keyframe Color Labels has now shipped with the 22.6 update of After Effects. Head to your Creative Cloud app to download the latest version, and have fun getting colorful in your timeline!  

Thank you to everyone who helped test and give feedback while this was in beta, as well as the initial ideas and votes for the feature request to start with. We appreciate hearing from you and helping to make AE work better for you.

4. Allow .mogrt files to export with adjustment layers to affect video clips in Premiere.

I use a lot of the same graphics for multiple "Projects" and wanted to create a template in After Effects for consistency and lessen the workload. But It part of that graphic is to turn part of the video clip black and white I need to use an Adjustment Layer. Allowing Adjustment Layers to port over with .mogrt files would make things much easier for me and I'm guessing others as well.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bug report: After Effects CC 2019 can't read alpha channel in ProRes 4444 or DNxHR/DNxHD in .mov files if project set to 16- or 32-bpc

The new version of After Effects produces an error when reading ProRes 4444 or DNxHR/DNxHD Quicktime files that contain an alpha channel (see image attached) This error is only noticeable when the project is set to 16 or 32 bpc

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bug report, Enabling grid cases extreme Latency. After effects 2019.

With a simple click on anything I get a the color wheel and about 5 seconds before that click is acknowledged. Thus far I have only experienced this when grid is enabled. AE 2019 IMAC running mojave and 40gb ram. I used AE 2018 yesterday and did not have this problem. This is making it impossible to use. I will have to revert back to 2018.

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Admin →
  7. Tapered Strokes

And generally more interoperability with Illustrator and support for the SVG standard

275 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Separate Dimensions on by Default

Add a toggle in Preferences for users to default to Separate Dimensions enabled rather than something that needs to be turned on for every object.

It could fit really well right underneath "Default Spatial Interpolation to Linear" in the General Preferences tab :)

228 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 3d Point Control

Point Control seems to be only 2d. I need it in 3d. Why not take the number of dimensions from the Layer it is applied to?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Admin →
  10. Faster EXR handling

Users have been requesting this for years and years and years. After Effects has the slowest handling of EXRs in the industry. Can we please finally get an overhaul of EXR import and bring it into the 21st century?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →
  11. In new expression editor, typing closing quotes/parentheses should overwrite existing characters

The new expression editor is great and it's halfway there with automatically adding a closing parentheses or quotes, but most code editors will then, if the user manually types a closing parentheses or quote, will more or less ignore it by overwriting the closing parenthese that was automatically added with the one that the user typed. In AE now if you type an opening then closing bracket you end up with ()) and if you type two quotes you end up with four quotes """"

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Admin →
  12. Improve the expressions panel with basic scripting UI

Revamp or make the AE Expression panel look more like scripting in e.g. Atom or Eclipse - with color-coding, auto-suggest, numbered lines, larger text size. Look to the plugin "Expressionist".

179 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature, the new customizable Expression Editor, was added in the April 2019 release of After Effects (version 16.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

A list of new features and changes in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new/2019-1.html

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

13. Bring back 'System Default Audio Device' as option in Audio Hardware

Bring back 'System Default Audio Device' as option in Audio Hardware preferences.

I switch a LOT between speakers and headphones on any given day. There used to be an option where AE would use whatever the system audio is... plug headphones in, audio switches to those... unplug headphones, AE switches to speakers.

Why was this removed in AE (and Premiere)?

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add composition's contextual menu “Reveal layer source in project panel” to customizable shortcuts.

The new shortcut editor is great, but actions only accessible as contextual actions inside the composition panel are unavailable in the shortcut editors.

It would be great to be able to add shortcut to those. Especially since 15.1 added a new level of context to “Reveal layer source in project panel”.

152 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature was added in the April 2019 release of After Effects (version 16.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

Specifically: The Reveal sub-menu has been added to the Layer menu. This menu is identical to the Reveal sub-menu in the layer context menu (right-click on a layer in the Timeline menu). This means that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to the commands in the Reveal sub-menu, including Reveal Layer Source in Project.

A list of new features and changes in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new/2019-1.html

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

15. Open EXR timecode

Now that HDR is all the rage, we need better EXR support:
    - import timecode from an EXR sequence, right now only writing timecode works during export. All imported sequences come in with a 00:00:00 timecode :/
    - support for EXR specific metadata
    - EXR in AE is still slowest in the industry. By my test it's 3x times slower than Nuke, and 8x times slower than Blender!!!. Come on, it's an open source program, just steal their importer ;)
    - Can we set a default action to "interpret as linear light"? Right noe all EXRs always get in as…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. BUG - Closing an extension panel in a saved workspace crashes after effects.

CC 2019 latest update. Win 10 latest version. Closing any panel related to an extension in a custom workspace immediately crashes After Effects.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. cryptomatte plugin became unuseble in 16.1 update

cryptomatte plugin became extremely slow. Viewpert takes a long time to update each frame

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →
  18. Make it possible to show guides I've created in Premiere Pro

Now we can create guides and save it like templates in Premiere Pro.
    Would be awesome if we could load/import/view those guides in After Effects!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  3 comments  ·  General  ·  Admin →
  19. Don't give autocomplete suggestions for numbers in expressions

With the new expression editor, it gives suggestions as I type. That's fine for a lot of things, but it also likes to suggest things as I type numbers. That's never something I want. Especially because pressing enter will accept the suggestion, so I will often want to divide something by 2 and then realize my 2 has suddenly become 100 or the name of a layer.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make guides and rulers snap to whole pixels.

Rulers and guides that snap to whole pixel values when being dragged into place. Additionally adding a function that can adjust these rulers and guides to specific values.
    Eg. If I want to now, I can't place a ruler exactly on 400pixels on the x axis, I can only drag the ruler to a rough guess.

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

After Effects

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base