After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Adob CC After effects 2019 keeps crashing

So since last week im not sure if this is due to a windows update or something else. But i have been having glitches and crashes in after effects 2019.
    The frist thing is, an imported video turns purple and green, i have tried purging cache, cleaning up the pc, reinstalling after effects, this did not help with it, i have tried changing the renderers. Nothing helps.
    The second thing is, moving a frame or previewing it, leads to crashing after effects. Even making a new composition has the same effect.
    I have no idea what to do, and no…

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Audio playback is choppy - Bug

Audio playback is choppy and sometimes slows to a crawl in After effects. This happens even without any video in the comp on my win7 PC.
    My configuration is 2x8 core Xeon E5-2630
    32GB RAM
    SSD cache disc
    Audio works fine in all other applications so I assume this is an AE bug.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

We need more information before we can investigate this problem.

Is the audio choppy only while After Effects is rendering previews, or after the composition is cached in RAM and playing back?

While After Effects is rendering a preview, audio playback may be choppy or slowed down, as playback at this point may not be real-time.

Once the preview is rendered and cached (the rendered frames are represented by green marks in the Timeline panel), playback should be real-time and audio playback should be smooth.

You can determine whether or not playback is real-time in the Info panel.

If the problem is only that audio is not smooth while previews are being rendered, you can disable audio during rendering in a couple of different ways:
    - In the Preview panel, enable the Cache Before Playback option. This causes After Effects to not attempt playback…

3. Zoom tools in the graph editor

There are great tools to zoom in Audition and Premiere. How come no zoom tools in the graph editor? Yes, mouse wheel and alt+mouse wheel work, but why are there no buttons in the UI?

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

Can you please elaborate on which zoom tools you’d like to see added to the graph editor? Please be specific.

At the bottom of the graph editor, there are four existing zoom tools:

• The Zoom In – Zoom Out “mountain range” buttons and slider, which is present for the Timeline panel whether you’re viewing the graph editor or time layout.
    • The Auto-zoom Graph Height button (magnifying glass with double vertical arrow).
    • The Fit Selection to View button (graph box with one wavy line).
    • The Fit All Graphs to View button (graph box with three wavy lines).

More details about the graph editor is here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animation-basics.html#the_graph_editor

Keyboard shortcuts for zooming (- and + keys, or Alt/Option + mouse wheel scroll) or panning (hold spacebar or H key to temporarily change to the Hand tool) in the Timeline panel also work when the graph editor view…

4. motion blur and continuously rasterize - Bug

On After Effects CC 2019: When I hit the motion blur button and the continuously rasterize button on a composition, After Effects crashes down or the composition get double and changes its place.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We need more information to be able to investigate this problem.

Can you post a project that experiences this problem? And/or a screen recording of the problem in action.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

5. Automatic Instanced effects

Example : I copy a blur, or a curve, i paste it on another layer, at this moment, i would want to have a choice betwen "copy" or "intanced" copy.
    Instanced is a automatic link betxen the affects, and of course any modification on my curve will bereported to all instanced copy of it.(like in 3ds max , for example).
    Of cource, a right clic on it can un link it from the others.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for submitting this suggestion.

Similar functionality exists in After Effects. The Edit > Copy with Property Links (and Copy with Relative Property Links) command will do as you describe.

The Copy with Property Links commands link the pasted effect using expressions. You can use the commands on effects, or just single properties (including transform properties), or even a whole layer.

If there is additional functionality you still desire in After Effects, please elaborate.

6. Unable to see bounding box around selected object

it seems to be happening on seemingly random occasions. I defiantly have the composition selected. It's only one of the compositions in the project. I can select the a layer in the timeline window and can manipulate it with the sliders. I can even click on the particular layer in the composition window and drag it around but there's no selection bounding box around it. For instance the yellow layer is selected which is the television in the composition window but there's no scaling bounding box (whatever it's called)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In your screenshot, I can see that the Toggle Mask and Layer Path visibility button at the bottom of the Composition panel is disabled. This usually indicates that the View > Show Layer Controls option is disabled. (Though the layer controls can be customized via View > View Options.)

If you enable one or both of those options, does the bounding box return?

7. Late to the party, updated to 16.1

Late to the party, updated to 16.1 and I'm having all sorts of issues with text layers (sometimes they crash it completely, other times if it's a text layer on top of another layer, the text layer disappears.) Also, any project from a previous version crashes when I try to update it so I have to import it into a new project and pray the comp I open doesn't crash.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A bug where After Effects may crash when opening a project if there are missing fonts was fixed in the April 2019 bug-fix patch for After Effects (version 16.1.1). You can install this patch via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

If the 16.1.1 update does not resolve the problem you’re experiencing, it would be helpful if you could provide us with one or more project files that demonstrate the issues you’ve described.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

8. Some conflict between cuda and AE 2018/2019 and transform effect

Error GPU out of memory appears when I use "transform" effect on a solid layer, if I disable GPU acceleration or work in AE CC 2017 all is fine.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information about the conditions you experience the problem.

• What OS and version are you using? i.e., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14
    • What graphics card is installed? What driver version?
    • Does the this problem only happen in your existing projects, or does it occur if you create a new comp and a new solid, and apply only the Transform effect?

Update 26 Nov 2018:
    Could you share a project with us that exhibits the problem? I think we need to inspect the specific conditions of the comp that you’re using. We’re not able to reproduce the problem with a simple comp + solid.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked;…

9. Any 29.97 fps footage crashes AE 16.1

Hi After Effects 16.1 crashes continuously while adding any 29.98 fps footage to the comp.
    It imports to the project ok, opens in the footage window, allows to trim but Ae immediately freezes as I insert -edit it to the composition.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Fix audio playback using period (.) key

When using the period (.) key on the numpad to play audio only, it doesn't play the audio from the start but cuts off the first second or so. This has been a bug for a while now and I'm surprised it's still in there and noone reported it before.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information in order to investigate this problem.

- What version of After Effects are you using? From the About After Effects screen, ex. After Effects 16.0
    - What OS and version are you using? ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14
    - What type of audio files are you using in your composition?

11. Bug Report: AE 2019 Write-On Effect not working.

I am unable to get the write-on effect to work with any stability. I noticed this in a 2018 file I was editing. It seems I can set up the keyframes, but then after scrubbing the timeline or working on other write-on reveals, it fails. See attached file.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 14 Nov 2018 – I received the files, thank you.

After playing with the project for a little bit, I see how the Write-on effect is not behaving correctly. But I’m not able to deduce what the cause of the problem is. I’m not able to reproduce the problem from scratch, and if I make modifications to your project, it starts to render correctly.

My best guess is that the keyframe data of the Write-on effect in your project became corrupted somehow. It’s relatively easy to fix, although a bit tedious:

1. On each keyframe, modify the property value. (I made small adjustments, like rounding fractional X or Y values up to the nearest integer, or increasing the brush size by 1. Any change to the keyframe’s value should work here.)
    2. Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache.

If…

12. Preview Does Not Work

I'm having an issue where previewing simply does not work. Sometimes frames will turn green as it plays though, sometimes only one frame will show green at at time. Even if it appears that it's rendering and all keyframes turn green, once it gets to the end of the work area, the green bar disappears completely and it does not play back. I've tried restarting my computer, importing my project into a new file, purging the caches, etc.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 16.1 update rendering bug : 1000% speedup on rendered output

idea? NO. this is a bug report.
    a SHOW STOPPER BUG.

renders are now outputting at 1000% percent of the speed of the comps.

for example: a 5 minute output now comes in around 5 seconds.

PULL 16.1 TILL YOU GET THIS FIXED

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this bug report.

Can you share a project file that demonstrates the problem? Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

Also, what OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3) What is your hardware configuration?

This is the first report we’ve heard of this problem, so we need to understand your project and configuration in order to investigate.

14. Bug Report: masks in AE 2019

Whenever I edit a mask, the mode goes from add, subtract et al to none. This happens with every project and is massively frustrating. I'm using the latest version of AE on Windows 10, i9 9900k, 64GB RAM and a 980ti. Here's a link to a screen recording of the glitch https://www.csmotion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2018-12-06_10-57-18.gif

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report, and for providing a screen recording of the problem in action.

I do not reproduce this problem on my computer, so I suspect this problem is configuration-specific.

Have you tried resetting the preferences for After Effects? To reset the preferences for After Effects, do either of the following:
    - (Preferred) Choose Preferences > General > and click on Reveal Preferences in Finder (macOS) or Explorer (Windows). Then quit After Effects and move the parent folder of these files (the version number, ex. 16.0 or 15.1) to your desktop. If this step helps, you can try moving your individual preference files back one at a time, or if does not resolve the problem, you can move the entire folder back.
    - Hold the Option (macOS) or Alt (Windows) key while launching After Effects.

One thought that occurs to me: when modifying a mask in…

15. CC2019 Expression controls don't work in Motion graphics templates exported to Premiere Pro

Very annoying bug : I cannot use any of the expression controls added to the Essential Graphics Panel when using the template in Premiere Pro CC 2019. The controls are there but nothing happens when I change their value.
    The attached projects shows a very simple case. The template just generates a solid overlay with a simple control to adjust its position.
    When the position is controlled by an expression control, it does not work in Premiere.
    When the position is controlled by anything else (the anchor point of a Null, for example), it works correctly.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There was no file attached to the report. Can you please post a link to a download of the After Effects project or a screenshot of the project that identifies that properties and expressions in use? Since UserVoice does not allow attachments in comments, post either a link to a file share (Dropbox, etc.) or re-file the bug with an attachment to the original post.

16. ADD LEFT-TO-RIGHT-SUPPORT

Just do it already! Many of us been waiting patiently for for this feature that takes just about F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Don't search what to add on to any of your software's until you give users basic-typing-capabilities within your software.

1.It hinders productive time when having to use 3rd party tools to convert text to the right direction.

1. any mistake in the text, just takes, you've got it! MORE TIME TO CORRECT.

2. It's basic. L-a-n-g-u-a-g-e. make every ADOBE software COMPATIBLE!

3. Year 2020. We've waited long ENOUGH from October 1995.

Just do it already!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

Right-to-left text support was added to After Effects 14.2 (June 2017 release; current version is 16.0.1).

Details on how to change text direction is here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-editing-text-layers.html#change_the_direction_of_text

If there is additional functionality for text direction support that you’re looking for, please provide specifics.

17. AE 2019 master properties (with keyframes) causes random glitch

I have builded a template project with the AE 2018 that involves expressions and master properties to animate the properties of the multiple templates in the same comp. It works fine in the 2018.
    When I've imported it in the the AE 2019 it start to glitch and doesn't recognise some keyframe in random way, purge the cash works just temporarily, I have also tried to collapse the properties, but does't work.
    I have had to downgrade the project and to the 2018, but all the comps reset to the default I have to re keyframe all the master properties…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable After Effects to run in a Windows Service Enviroment

Enables you to start After Effects in Render Engine Mode as a Windows Service or in a Windows Service environment without Windows login. This allows After Effects to be used with render management programs such as AWS Deadline in a render farm. We also comply with the European DSGVO, as After Effects starts without logging on to Windows and the computer itself can therefore remain password-protected.

Currently, After Effects crashes when, for example, it is executed using the Windows Task Scheduler directly after system start, but without physical user logon.

Informations about RE Mode: https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/installing-after-effects-cc-render-engines-with-adobe-creative-cloud/

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. AE 2019 unable to allocate ram error popup then crash

Getting a lot of this error with AE 2019. No issues previously. Not great for a machine with 128GB ram. Usually happens when I open a project with an existing project open already.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information before this report can be investigated.

If the problem occurs when you open a project, can you send us the project? It would also be helpful to get an After Effects Log file.

To generate After Effects Log.txt, choose Help > Enable Logging. Restart After Effects, then choose Help > Reveal Logging File. Cause the problem to happen, then retrieve After Effects Log.txt from the folder. Note that logging will automatically disable after 24 hours.

Also, do you get…

20. Top/First Text Layer Acts as a Mask

When creating multiple text layers, randomly, the first text layer creates starts acting as a weird mask layer that makes all the rest of the independent text layers disappear. Turning off this first layer will make the second layer in the index appear, yet the other ones will remain "masked out".

Interestingly, if you move this aforementioned text layer to the top, all text layers merge and After Effects crashes.

Please look at the screenshots to understand progression to replicate this bug.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you share the project file with us that causes this problem? Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base