After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Moving the mouse while collecting files causes AE to skip files/freeze

This is such a weird bug and has existed for a few years, it doesn't affect me much because I don't use "Collect Files" very often, but when I do need to use it I'm baffled at why this exists.

Currently on macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, AE CC 2018 15.1.1, but this bug has existed in prior versions.

When running through the "Collect Files" process, if you even accidentally nudge the mouse while files are copying, AE will either freeze until force-quit, or just skip the file it's currently copying. I've had to unplug the mouse before initiating Collect Files…

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

A fix for the problem you describe, that moving the mouse during Collect Files causes the process to fail, was applied in the April 2017 release of After Effect CC (version 14.2).
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/bug-fixes-in-after-effects-april-2017.html

Since that time, your report is the first incident we’ve heard of this problem resurfacing. We need additional information to diagnose the problem.

Can you provide us a screen capture video of the problem in action? Please send a link (no attachments) to aebugs@adobe.com.

A copy of the project file experiencing the problem would also be useful.

Other helpful information:
    - How many files are being copied?
    - Are these movie files or still image sequences, or both?
    - What are the sizes of the files?
    - Are the files being copied to or from a network location?
    - If a network location is involved, does the problem change…

2. Default color for Outer glow/ Inner glow should be white.

The default color for Outer/Inner glow layer styles is an odd yellow/gold that nobody wants to use. Light defaults should always be white, dark defaults should always be black. Examples, drop shadow effect, Tint, Gradient Ramp, etc.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bug: AE 2019 Pin Wheeling during simple tasks, then Proportional Grid appears. Only remedy is Force Quit.

Was talking to AE lead Victoria on Twitter about this, here's a link our chat to get you up to speed… https://twitter.com/markpaterson/status/1058201534595391489

Basically, simple tasks such as resizing a layer by 10%, adjusting opacity, etc were causing me to pin wheel. Then the proportional grid would appear for no reason. WEIRD.

However, AE would stay alive in the background, refresh layers, say things like "Cleaning up" in the info panel, and even Auto Save. Sometimes the cursor would change back to the Arrow, but as soon as I interacted with the UI, it went back to the Pinwheel and I…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Pre-comp fits to layer size rather than project size

When pre-comping, it would be really useful if there were a tick box to fit the new comp to the size of the layers rather than the document size. I realise that this would need to be disabled for some pre-comps (audio files for example). I can do this manually, but changing the size of the pre-comp moves things around in my original comp which is not ideal.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Crash-related CRLOGS-Files fill up OS-drive

The latest AE Version is dumping huuuuge CRLOG-Files on the OS-Harddrive after crashing (which as everybody knows happens quite a lot).

The Files can reach 20-35gb each. These files are meant for UPLOAD and this is unacceptable.This concerns workflow AND data-privacy. ADOBE just wanted to upload 120gb of my data to their servers from my workstation. This is NOT acceptable.

WHAT ARE YOU UPLOADING THERE ? This is way more than just Crashlogs !!!

And this is blocking my OS, my upload-feed and slows my system down.

This is a perpetuum mobile of ****: AE crashes all the time, then…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report. We are investigating the problem.

You can safely delete the CRLOG files from your system. These are crash log files that are supposed to be automatically deleted.

You can change your Adobe crash report preferences from within any Adobe application by choosing Help > Adobe Crash Reporter.

Edit: Can we contact you for more information, via the email address you used when you filed this report? Thanks.

6. Summary Keyframe track that is editable.

I would like a keyframe track which shows all the keyframes in a layer in a single track. All selectable and moveable.

This is fairly common in 3D programs and is a good way of moving a lot of keyframes without having to reveal and select them all individually. Often times in revisions it is necessary to move large blocks of keyframes as a group. This would make that process much easier.

This already happens to some extend when there are a number of keyframes within a collapsed property (transform, contents, etc), but it's purely cosmetic for reference. They can't…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Detect incompatible plug-ins that hang loading After Effects and offer to disable them

Since wasting my time with After Effects 2019 hanging at start-up and recently figuring out that one of the plug-ins must be incompatible, as per the following issue, I wish that After Effects would be smarter and run a watchdog when it enumerates plug-in and offer to disable the loading of plug-ins that appear to have hung.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/35855626-critical-cannot-launch-after-effects-since-update

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give us more detail on specifically which plug-ins were causing After Effects to hang during launch?

After Effects already does this when it can, but detecting the cause of crashes is not as simple as it seems as first. The cause of the crash may not always be clear, and may not necessarily be the plug-in itself but After Effects crashing due to a bad (or valid) request.

For example (theoretically; this is a simplified example, not a real-world case), using the After Effects API, a plug-in may request After Effects to allocate some memory that is more than is available on the system. The bug is clearly the bad request from the plug-in, but if After Effects doesn’t trap that request and reject it, After Effects could end up in a bad state and crashing.

That’s why we need to know what specific plug-in is causing…

8. Project Window Toggle to Hide Empty Folders

You know those project templates that teams create with way too many folders in them, just in case you might put an asset in one? I think it would be very useful if After Effects (and Premiere for that matter) had a checkbox in the Project window to hide empty folders. And folders with nothing but empty folders in them. That would help so many of us with the ultra **** folder structure builders who think they are helping us stay organized.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Impliment option to have "Generate solid" create shape layer instead of new project item

When the user chooses to create a new solid, the user should be presented with an option in the dialogue box for the new solid which, when checked, toggles the creation of a shape layer in the comp rather than creating a new "Solid" project item.

Purpose: Solids behave differently than shape layers for some effects. In example, apply "Set Matte" to a text layer; set the source of the alpha to reference a solid or a shape layer and the results are different when the referenced layer is transformed.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. add shift frame to sequence layers

Sequence Layers command is very useful but not very fast to use. Most of the time I use it to shift layers of a few frame: I must select all layers, cut them, sequence layers and the trim back all layers to the end.
    It would be easier if you can add a sort of Shift time in the Sequence Layers Window, so we can choose how many frames to shift the in point of the next layer than the previous one.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please provide the measure tool in After Effects that is in Illustrator.

Allow us to count pixels in any direction in After Effects, the same exact tool that is currently in Illustrator.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please provide more detail about the problem.
    - What OS and version are you using? ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14
    - What exact steps do you take before the problem occurs?
    - Do you get an error dialog or crash report dialog?
    - If you get a crash report dialog, have you submitted the report? If you’re not seeing the crash report dialog, choose Help > Adobe Crash Reporter in After Effects, and choose Always Show. When the crash report dialog appears, we appreciate if you fill in your email address and check the box that allows us to contact you about the crash.
    - What directories are your media and disk cache set to?
    - Have you tried resetting the preferences for After Effects? Hold Cmd/Ctrl + Option/Alt + Shift while After Effects starts.

13. Stroke and Cinema 4D render

When a stroke is applied to a shape on a 3D layer and the Cinema 4D renderer is selected, when trim paths is used the width of the stroke changes. When the Classic 3D renderer is used, this does not happen.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for filing this bug report, and for sending us the project file.

Our engineers are examining the problem. Regarding the project you sent, they gave this feedback:

This problem is independent of using Trim Paths.

The problem can occur with shapes or text converted to Shapes, as in the provided project. With the CINEMA 4D renderer the Shape stroke width does not match the Classic 3D renderer – there is both a stroke symmetry shift around the path, and size can vary as well.

The stroke mismatch is typically quite small. However, the provided project has Transform > Scale set to over 300%, thereby exaggerating the problem.

To work around this you could avoid using a large scale value on the shape layer. Adding scale per shape path almost eliminates the problem visually, but is impractical to do for each shape.

Another workaround could be to maybe prep the…

14. pre compose

When pre-composing by going right click > pre-compose, AE crashes.

AE 16.0.0
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for filing this bug report.

We need information about this problem:
    - Does the problem only happen in a specific project, or does it happen in all projects? Does it happen in a new project with a simple comp that only contains a solid or shape layer?
    - If the problem doesn’t happen in a new project, or happens in a specific project, what is in the comp that you are pre-composing? What types of layers or footage are being used? Effects? Expressions? Does the composition have properties in the Essential Graphics panel?
    - Do you choose to Leave All Attributes or Move All Attributes? Does that affect the problem?
    - Is the problem persistent after resetting the preferences for After Effects? Hold Command + Option + Shift while starting After Effects.

15. expressions

Changes to the new javascript expressions editor:

1. Double click a word should only select that word. Not spaces punctuation or other words.

2. Code hinting would be very nice. This could include the build in properties and methods. But also words already used in that expresssion. Look at Sublime Text.

3. Selecting multiple lines and pressing TAB or Shift+TAB should control indentation of those lines.

4. Color coding would be nice.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Mojave Update and After Effects CC2019 Crashes Premiere CC2019 loses Audio

Ever since I updated to Mojave Aftereffects will open for a second and then crash. Importing video into Premiere I get "An unspecified error occurred while performing a conform action on the following file:/" and there is no audio coming in with any of the videos I am importing.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. BUG - Can't render in premiere pro with after effects open

I've noticed lately that I can not render Ae comps in Pr while the relative project in Ae is open. Also, upon closing Pr after a successful render of my comps I lose the render files after relaunching Pr and have to re-render the comps.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. AE 2019 Clips with Trillions+ of colors don't properly display alpha.

Clips with Trillions+ colors will not show alpha even if the file has an alpha.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more detail about the problem you are describing.

What format and codec are being used by these clips?

Where is the alpha not visible? Is it in After Effects, or in a different application? If in After Effects, what is the color depth of the project set to? (8-, 16-, or 32-bpc?)

I suspect that you may be encountering this problem:
    https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/35769118-bug-report-after-effects-cc-2019-can-t-read-alpha

Please confirm if that is the case.

19. Remove "Compositing Options" from Expression Controls

I love having access to the per-effect Compositing Options, but there's no reason (I can think of, anyway) for them to exist on expression controls, aside from taking up additional vertical space in the timeline.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bring back after effects 15.0.1

AE 15.0.1 was the last version that supported QT codec based exports.
    For many professional content deliverers this is a crucial part of their work. (Prores 422 is still THE standard for most).
    Now, after the plublication of cc2019, the option to install the "older version" 15.0.1 is gone from the cc installer tab.

This is a severe problem for all QT based workflows.

Please bring back this option.
    The only possible reson to withdraw this version would be if there were serious security issues with this version in which case it would be adobe's duty to report those.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base