After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Folder creation for the composition timeline layers

I would like to see folders or some other type of container for the timeline, just to make navigating those layers faster when it comes to more complicated compositions.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Back in 2004, Guide Layers were a great addition to AE. Let's do that again.

On each layer, maybe within the transform and compositing options, I'd love three checkboxes.
    All checked, like we see below — the default — would simply mean "completely normal layer."

Layer Visible During:
    [√] Work
    [√] Preview
    [√] Render

Meanwhile, to accomplish what we'd currently expect from a Guide Layer, we uncheck 'Render':

Layer Visible During:
    [√] Work
    [√] Preview
    [_] Render

Easy peasy — plus — look what else we can do with this setup:

This will keep any layers of subtype 'crunchy-and-unnecessary-until-playback' out of your face:

Layer Visible During:
    [_] Work
    [√] Preview
    [√] Render

This keeps layers…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [Scripting] reveal specific properties

Scripting method to reveal a specific set of properties within a comp.
    Something like:

myComp.reveal(arrayOfProperties);

It would be very useful for many scripts imo.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Optimize Shapes and vector layers

Currently the biggest bottleneck or noticeable speed degredation for me after getting a CPU with more cores and a lower clockspeed has been shape layers and vectors. If I have a comp with lets say 100 small shape circles, the FPS in After Effects drops to such a low level it is hard to even work. Since things are being optimized in After Effects and tasks are being moved to the GPU, this is one area of the program I would really like to be improved. Shapes and vector layers are very commonly used, so it shouldn't be such a…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. VR Editor 3D Camera Tracker

The VR Editor's 3D camera tracker (AE Version 16.0.1) is unable to complete it's calculations, stating the following error message "Unable to acquire rendered Frame" and therefore does not allow for 3D tracking when working with 360 video content. For now I am having to use AE 15.1.2.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Pre-comp fits to layer size rather than project size

When pre-comping, it would be really useful if there were a tick box to fit the new comp to the size of the layers rather than the document size. I realise that this would need to be disabled for some pre-comps (audio files for example). I can do this manually, but changing the size of the pre-comp moves things around in my original comp which is not ideal.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Even Dashes on stoked paths to match Illustrator

It would be awesome if After Effects handled dashed lines the same way Illustrator does with the option to force dashes to be symmetrical with the corners.

Thanks!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Automatic Instanced effects

Example : I copy a blur, or a curve, i paste it on another layer, at this moment, i would want to have a choice betwen "copy" or "intanced" copy.
    Instanced is a automatic link betxen the affects, and of course any modification on my curve will bereported to all instanced copy of it.(like in 3ds max , for example).
    Of cource, a right clic on it can un link it from the others.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for submitting this suggestion.

Similar functionality exists in After Effects. The Edit > Copy with Property Links (and Copy with Relative Property Links) command will do as you describe.

The Copy with Property Links commands link the pasted effect using expressions. You can use the commands on effects, or just single properties (including transform properties), or even a whole layer.

If there is additional functionality you still desire in After Effects, please elaborate.

10. master properties

I am still on AE15.1.2 so I don't know if this is fixed already, but:

I made use of the Master Properties in my latest Project.
    It was 3 different subcomps where I used each about 10 times with different text and some other properties.
    My 12 sec animation took around 4hrs to render.

Now I switched back, deleted all Essential Graphics stuff aka Master Properties and made 3x10 Subcomps instead.
    The 12 sec animation then took about 3 mins to render.

Something has to be done about the MPs!
    TYVM

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. dynamic shapes otlines from text

to have text to drive the shapes around it

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to change the default Log settings in the render settings

Hi, I'd like to have the option to always generate a log file for each render. By default this setting is set to Log Errors Only. I would like to be able to set this to Plus Settings by default. Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Display LUTs for Composition viewer

A lot of our time we work with log footage and use an adjustment layer on top layer with the Apply Color LUT effect. This slows down the whole comp more than I would expect a LUT to do as this should not be a heavy effect (see Premiere's realtime implementation for a start). Secondly it usually means slower final renders as the cache contains renders with the LUT on but we obviously want to output as log. A more elegant solution would be to be able to load a LUT into the composition viewer and let the GPU do…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. BUG?: Enabling per-character 3d breaks 3d layering.

Turning per-character 3d on breaks 3d rendering.
    Can be tested with a simple solid, a text layer, and turning the camera around.
    Things above the text layer appear as "always on top" and things below, always under irregardless of it's z position or camera behavior.

Don't know if this is working as intended, or a bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Improve vector performance.

Why if I use vector elements created in Illustrator, they lost resolution and definition when I enlarge them in scale?

It's absurd!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. "Toggle Mask and Shape Path Visibility" not accessible in keyboard shortcut editor

It'd be helpful to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to the composition window "Toggle Mask and Shape Path Visibility" button.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. After Effects does not recognize fonts installed per user in Windows 10

Windows 10 seems to have added an option to only install fonts in the user folder (which I suppose lets people install fonts without Admin privileges). After Effects doesn't seem to see these fonts. It took me like an hour of troubleshooting to move these fonts to the proper Font folder, it would be helpful if AE saw the user fonts.

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts is where they are stored.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. ctrl+a and ctrl+e missing in script editor on mac

Hi there. In macOS, there's a keyboard shortcut I use frequently to go to the beginning or end of a paragraph of text - it's from the Terminal. It's Ctrl+A to go to beginning of paragraph and Ctrl+E to go to end.

This has worked across After Effects text fields as well, up until the introduction of the new expression script editor. I understand it's a bit of an edge-case, but I'd love to see this added back in!

Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. the lowest panel in the right hand menu stack seems to have an invisible panel edge, seems a line to indicate panel edge would be helpful.

the lowest panel in the right hand menu stack seems to have an invisible panel edge, seems a line to indicate panel edge would be helpful. see image

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base