After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Revert the icons to the multi-colored versions!

This is an Adobe CC wide issue but AE is where I notice it the most.

Please revert the icons to the multi-colored versions! It makes no sense to make them the same color when the "themes" break down beyond video and photo use. I used the colors to quickly locate the software I needed to open, now I have a taskbar full of purple and have to squint to tell which letters I am clicking on.

It seems like a very poor design choice that was likely made by the boardroom, not the creative team, and I beg you…

10 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow overscroll in the timeline panel

Currently the timeline panel stops vertically scrolling when the lowest layer reaches the bottom of the panel.

I'd like to suggest adding an option / preference to allow 'overscroll' in the timeline panel so that the lowest layer can be viewed above the bottom of the panel.

The primary reason for the request is that it gets a bit fiddly working on the lowest layers, and having the extra working space would make it more comfortable to interact with them.

In practice this could be very similar to the 'overscroll' option in Photoshop preferences (Preferences > Tools > Overscroll).

A…

69 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Update the way AE handles alphabetizing in the Project Window

Currently there is an unexpected behavior with how AE alphabetizes items in the project window. The addition of a character after numbers changes the order in a way that makes organization and renaming a challenge and sometimes a complete pain.
    Example:
    04-
    Above the dash will bring the 04- to the top. I'm told this is because numbers at the end are counted as numerals, but as soon as you add a non-number character after a number that number because a regular character. This seems to mean context plays a part in a character's value.

I would like…

73 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Addition or substraction in time indicator

It would be nice to be able to add or susbtract values in the time indicator field to move in the timeline by maths.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tapered Stroke Improvements (for Beta Version)

Thanks for finally developing a native tapered stroke feature on After Effects. I'm playing with it and find it very easy to use!

But I think this feature could be improved for many users if you consider that the taper could mimic better the width tool on Adobe Illustrator.

Now the taper produce a pointy or semi-rounded stroke cap, but it isn't possible to preserve a perfect round or butt cap.

Thank you again!

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Composition = Folder

It would be great if I could expand a composition on the timeline like you can do it with folder in photoshop.

This way I could view all layers and keyframes directly from a parent comp without having to switch between comps.

Adobe, please add that feature! It would be a huuuuge time saver and workflow optimization.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Dual-monitor setup now needs extra click when switching windows in 2020

I am on AE 2020 on Mac OSX 10.13.6.
    I have a dual screen setup where my composition is on one monitor and my timeline is on another monitor. If I select a tool (like the mask tool) on the timeline monitor, I have to first click to 'activate' the composition window on the second monitor, and THEN start drawing a mask. I shouldn't need an extra click unless my switching between different software.

I want there to not be a extra click to activate different parts of the same program. It messes up my work, when I don't realize…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Colorama color panel update please !?!?!?

Colorama is so powerful; but the color picker suck.
    Just use the same picker as the rest of the Program, PLEASE.

Why this color picker from the 80's, for a such a great effect?

Also, we should be able to see live update in the composition panel

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Master Properties connections as a viewing option to the Composition Flowchart

Composition Flowchart isn't used much by most but I think a KILLER addition to it would be the ability to see Master Properties connections in a nodal view.

I'd be thrilled to see all the places my MP's are piped into and what the flow is. It would really help when opening up someone else's file to get a quick understanding to how Master Properties are being used!

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bulk Interpret footage

If you select multiple files (in my case, all of them came from the same camera, settings, fps, codec, etc.) you can not Interpret Footage to all of them at the same time. I have a lot of 100fps footage, and want to select all of them, click on Interpret Footage, change to 25fps once and get all the files in 25fps.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add an icon to adjust both dimensions of multidimensionnal properties at once in the timeline

It would be very handy to be able to click and drag for both dimensions of multidimensionnal properties (or spatial properties only?) in the timeline (like positions), using both axis of the mouse.

This could be done through an additionnal icon, to keep the current behaviour on individual axis (see screenshot example)

In case the property has three dimensions, this icon could be used to adjust only X and Y.

This would make it easier to work with layers while hiding layer handles, allowing us to quickly move the layers without selecting/clicking in the viewport.

Working with hidden layer handles…

32 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Group and color code effects in Effect Control panel

It would be helpful to be able to group and color code effects in Effect Controls panel. I often end up with 10 or more effects in the comp control layer and it becomes tedious and difficult visually to find the one I'm after (see attached screenshot). It would be incredibly convenient to be able to create groups like is possible in shape layers, and the ability to color code like we can with layers would also be helpful. It's possible to code and rename effects into groups when making a preset (like in attached screenshot), but this is impractical…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Green horizontal lines in preview of AE and Premiere Pro

I have large green lines in preview on both AE and Premier, All preview zoom/ruler settings have been tried. AE is on 17.1.1 build 34. Premier is on 14.3.0 build 38. Machine is WIndows 10 build 18362.752 (latest I can get) with Intel Core i7-9770K on MSI MS-7B22 system board with 64GB RAM, Intel UHD630 graphics (May 18 2020 driver build - 27.20.100.8280 Latest). All storage is internal. Boot is NVMe M.2

Was working fine until recently(~1 week)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. File import - add grouping of sequences

It would be great if in the import view window we could see sequence as one file. If we wanted to import a specific frame there should be a toggle "group sequences" that we could just unmatch and it would show all available frames.
    It's often irritating to scroll through the folder with multiple sequences and thousands of frames to find the specific one we need.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Problem selecting multiple keyframes in AE 2020 (17.04)

In AE 2020 (17.04) When I try to select multiple keyframes in the timeline by drawing a box around them, there is often a delay of a few seconds before the keyframes are selected. Sometimes the delay causes the box that I draw to be "cut off" so that not all of the intended keyframes are selected. I've tried different mouses and many different files, and the problem has persisted over the last couple of AE updates. I'm on an iMac Pro, OS 10.14.6, 3GHZ Intel Xeon W, 128 GB RAM.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Easy change menu languages, from english to every other language with one click

For years, thousands of people have urgently needed to switch functions between the languages ​​of the program interfaces.

Especially since the effects and specifications bar list makes no sense in the German translation and was apparently translated by the google automatic function.

It would be so easy if you set your two languages ​​that you want to use directly during installation.

You could then simply write in the effects and specifications list in one of the languages ​​and you could use it immediately.

Instead, one has to laboriously look for translations for
    the effects and specifications list. The pure horror.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please add option to not load workspace on file, but rather stick to the one you are currently using.

Opening old files or files from other designers always loads the workspace on the file, which in most cases doesn't match the current one, or simply isn't available.

I've found that it is very rare that I want to use a different workspace than the one I am currently using when opening a file, so this behavior forces unneeded interaction and interruption to the workflow

It would be ideal to have a general option to disable this behavior and instead ignore the workspace setting saved on the file.

Thanks!

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Parent-based filter operator for Timeline search bar

Additional operator for the Timeline search bar, allowing the user to filter for parent properties.

For example:
    Let's say I have multiple layers, each containing two groups (let’s call them “Top” and “Bottom”), and each containing a path. I want to change the Line Cap on “Top”’s path to rounded. If I search for "cap", then I’m shown the Line Cap options for the paths in both groups in each layer.

It would be great if there were a way to search for something like "top: cap", so that it only shows me properties containing "cap" that also have a…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix expression editing within graph view

In both AE 17.0.0 and 17.0.2, I did not test it in 17.0.1. Using Win10 with a Ryzen 3700x and a GTX 1060 6gb

When editing or writing expressions while in the graph view mode, it is hit or miss whether or not the new code will be commited.

It was suggested by another user to use the 'enter' key on the numpad to commit changes, but this didn't work every time either, so it doesn't solve the problem.

When editing expressions in the normal layer view everything works and saves/updates as it should. You just type out the code…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Application icons are now inherently confusing to students

This isn't specific to After Effects, but all of the new purple icons in CC. I have students that rely on visual recognition to identify the various applications in the dock (and since the machines are locked, this can't be modified). Now that Adobe has decided to make every application icon look identical in the latest CC2020 update, I'm going to have spend time I could be using to teach the application, to showing them how to differentiate between all of the CC applications. This is idiotic, so please change it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base