After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ACTUALLY LET US MAKE A DIRECT COMPLAINT

How about instead of making us VOTE for features we want you to repair. You take the money we give you every month and fix the problems. No broken feature should require a popularity contest to get fixed. It's pathetic.

236 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

40 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Bug Report: Immersive Environment Projection Options

In Version 18, they removed the "VR Goggles" from the Composition Window which is where we would change the projection for the Adobe Immersive Enviroment so that the footage would be properly displayed inside of a VR Headset. You didn't give us another place to change this settings so any versions of AE past 17.7.0 are unusable for 360 VR workflows. Can we get our button back? #AdobeUXQC_Fail

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Bug Report AE 22.1.1: Menu Bar and all right click drop-downs not working

Menu bar and all right click dropdowns are not working in AE 2022. You click an item in the menu bar and nothing appears, you click again and it shows up for a moment but disappears when you move your mouse over to click on a drop down item.

When you click for the first time, you can click on drop down items by guessing the approximate location of where they are but they are invisible so it's a guessing game.

This makes AE completely unusable. Fixes when you delete your preferences file but it is not feasible to delete…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this issue and for your continuing feedback. The team is aware of this problem and is investigating potential fixes.

The issue appears to be that After Effects is not being fully "focused" on launch due to dialogs being shown during launch or other applications being focused while After Effects is loading. The workaround is to click the After Effects icon in the macOS Dock if the menus are not working. This fully focuses the app and should allow menus to behave correctly. Please let us know if this doesn't fix the issue for you. Relaunching can also help ( as noted below ) but clicking the After Effects icon in the dock is much more direct.

Again, we are investigating fixes for this issue to be included in a future version of After Effects. We will update this post when a fix becomes available…

4. all but one text character gets selected with my cursor

When using my cursor to highlight text, the last character will always be omitted from the selection.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this issue. As mentioned by Douglas Waterfall in the comments below, a fix for this issue is available in After Effects (Beta) build 42 or later. Please download the latest Beta from the Creative Cloud app and let us know if the fix is working for you as well.

If you do experience any issues with After Effects (Beta), please report them on the Beta forums that are accessible via "Report a bug..." or "Visit the community..." when you click on the Provide Feedback button ( which looks like a speech bubble ) in the upper-right corner of the After Effects (Beta) UI.

Thank you again for reporting this issue,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

5. Dark Mode support in MacOS

import and save and close windows are light when they should be dark when system dark mode is on. please please please fix this, I've been waiting years for this to be fixed but somehow not fixed yet.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Lock Workspace

I think it would be useful to borrow the Lock Workspace feature from Photoshop for After Effects, esp with the wide use of so many scripts and CEP panels in many workflows. I accidentally pull off tabs or slide them around in my day-to-day use of AE, esp since I’m using a Wacom pen most of the time.

I’m sure there’s some wrinkles to consider, esp when switching Workspaces while locked - do you prompt with a pop-up or automatically switch it?

103 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add additional functionality to the Snapshot button in AE to make it similar to Premiere.

I would love to see some additional functionality added to the Snapshot button in AE to make it similar to the Export Frame button in Premiere.

When working, I'm always taking screenshot of the active comp to send to people to take a quick look at what i'm working on. The downside to using a screenshot is that you get all the UI elements in the way, and it's not locked to the native size of the comp window.

In Premiere, you can hit a button that looks the same as the snapshot button in AE, but they work completely…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. open multiple comps from render queue again PLEASE!

Selecting more than one comp in the render queue and double clicking no longer opens all the Comps, just one.
    Please ensure this is fixed soon.
    I assume this is a bug, like the Effects panel no longer opening when you double click a layer, and that you will be reinstating some of this basic functionality in the next point updates

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Render Queue Complete Notifications Time Limits & Options

The new Render Complete Notifications are amazing for being able to take breaks, but they can steal focus far too often if rendering out comps that are fast - a couple user settable preferences would be incredible.

The following are my requests for options:
    - allow the user to set a maximum frequency for notifications
    - only notify on full queue completion instead of for each comp
    - if a queue will take less than estimated [user input time limit], only notify on completion of full queue.

I could see these living in the Preferences panel, or directly in the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. v 22.2 update cleared shortcut keys and workspaces

The v22.2 update cleared all my shortcut keys and workspace layouts! It’s 2022 - user prefs should not be overwritten by a point update!!! (Or really any update.)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. After Effects has a panel problem

After Effects has a lot of plugins that can really speed up animator's workflows. When functionality is missing, plug-ins and scripts fill the gap. Unfortunately the After Effects SDK makes most helpful tools keep all of their functionality contained within a ScriptUI panel. This is fine for really big tools like Flow and Keysmith, where you want to integrate them into your workspace because you use them all of the time. However, there are a lot of "single-use" tools that only do one thing, but need a full ScriptUI panel to display a control of some sort. These can add…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Remove the new Mocha popup window and sound when it's loading.

This "improvement" is annoying beyond belief, isn't needed, isn't wanted, and should be disabled immediately.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Problems using Anchor Point tool on 3D layers with the new Gizmos.

You used to be able to snap the anchor point to layers when using the Anchor Point tool (y) and pressing Shift or activating the snapping checkbox, now it doesn't work with the new gizmos.

Also... it's pretty useless defaulting to the same type of gizmo used for the SELECTION TOOL and not having any way to change it when you CAN'T rotate or scale an anchor point. Now you have to go to the select tool, select the POSITION gizmo and then come back to the Anchor Point tool again if you want to move an anchor point in…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Image import not fit for purpose

I'd like to replace the embarrassing image import code (presumably knocked together by an intern in 1998?) with something that has functional parity with the rest of the Adobe CC apps. Why should a JPG that opens without issue in Photoshop/Illustrator etc. cause After Effects to soil itself? Why can AE still not deal with CMYK bitmaps? Why does AE still not give you actual useable info on which images were not imported, rather than having to dismiss 2, sometimes 3 individual error messages for each image and then having to manually sift through what did import and try to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Preferences: Default keyframes colours

It would be great to have an additional "Preferences" category similar to the "Labels" or "Scripting & Expressions" which let you set default colours for keyframes of standard properties.

Example: Position Yellow, Rotation Red, Scale Green

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Select and label timeline elements to move them together in time

I spend too much time hunting and pecking for which timeline elements are associated with corresponding movement in the viewport. Shifting layers, in/out points, and keyframes in time often takes multiple selection passes. And there's no way to store that selection, so they each have to be selected every time they need to be adjusted (and in/out points can't even be selected so they all need to be done separately... every time!).

Selectable in/out points and labels/groups for ALL timeline elements--any combination of keyframes, markers, in/out points, and layers--would strengthen the visual connection between the timeline and the viewport AND…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I lost faith in AE, dont think of your users as beta testers!

Im really loosing faith in After Effects, even on official releases there are just too many bugs. Rendering via Media Encoder is no longer possible, it is just doing random things like it renders to 50% and then the render speed drops down to like 1%. Multiframe rendering was a cool idea until I saw how it works, maybe it is faster, but how can it feel slower because of the lags and bugs at the same time?

I dont have time to constantly report bugs to you! Do you realize some people works with your software and maybe their…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to export & import keyboard shortcuts easily.

Please provide the ability to export & import Keyboard Shortcuts. I recently upgraded my computer, but can't bring my shortcuts along with me and have to reprogram them all. I know there is a work around for PC where you can find the shortcuts.txt file buried in the hard drive, but as far as I can find there is no way to do it for Mac. Thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Tutorial references a button that does not exist in the UI

The beginner tutorial appears to reference a button that does not exist when prompting the user to edit the Mirror effect.

The step says "To the right of the Reflection Center, click on the box with a target icon inside". There are no buttons to the right of Reflection Center, just the two blue numbers indicating the position.

The animation at the top of the window seems to indicate clicking something in the Project panel instead of the Timeline, which does not look like a target icon, and does not exist in the UI either anyway.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. an indicator to show which expression engine is in use

Currently there is no way to tell what expression engine is in use, without opening up the prefs to check. Using the legacy expressions engine causes annoying expressions errors, that can be hard to debug if you don't realise that the legacy expressions engine is running.
    An indicator (or switch) in the UI, maybe as part of the expressions editor would be helpful.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 47 48
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base