After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ACTUALLY LET US MAKE A DIRECT COMPLAINT

How about instead of making us VOTE for features we want you to repair. You take the money we give you every month and fix the problems. No broken feature should require a popularity contest to get fixed. It's pathetic.

297 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

46 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. all but one text character gets selected with my cursor

When using my cursor to highlight text, the last character will always be omitted from the selection.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for reporting this issue when selecting text. This issue was fixed in a previous version ( AE 22.4 ) but then resurfaced in the subsequent version ( AE 22.5 ). I apologize for the confusion and frustration around which versions contained the fix. It is never our intent for fixes to remain in Beta without moving into the release version; in this case, the issue was fixed in Beta, moved to release in 22.4, but then resurfaced in both the ongoing Beta and 22.5.

There is now a fix for the resurfaced issue that is available in After Effects (Beta) 23.0.0.25 and later. Please give this build a try if you can and let us know how it is working for you when selecting text. This fix can then be included in a future release of After Effects 23.0.

Please note that the latest versions…

3. Make the 'I' shortcut go to the earliest inPoint of multiple selected layers

Currently the behaviour when using the 'I' keyboard shortcut, when multiple layers are selected, is to move the CTI to the inPoint of the top-most selected layer in the layer stack. This would be far more useful if it moved the CTI to the inPoint of the group, ie. the earliest inPoint of the multiple selected layers.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bug Report AE 22.1.1: Menu Bar and all right click drop-downs not working

Menu bar and all right click dropdowns are not working in AE 2022. You click an item in the menu bar and nothing appears, you click again and it shows up for a moment but disappears when you move your mouse over to click on a drop down item.

When you click for the first time, you can click on drop down items by guessing the approximate location of where they are but they are invisible so it's a guessing game.

This makes AE completely unusable. Fixes when you delete your preferences file but it is not feasible to delete…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this issue and for your continuing feedback. The team is aware of this problem and is investigating potential fixes.

The issue appears to be that After Effects is not being fully "focused" on launch due to dialogs being shown during launch or other applications being focused while After Effects is loading. The workaround is to click the After Effects icon in the macOS Dock if the menus are not working. This fully focuses the app and should allow menus to behave correctly. Please let us know if this doesn't fix the issue for you. Relaunching can also help ( as noted below ) but clicking the After Effects icon in the dock is much more direct.

Again, we are investigating fixes for this issue to be included in a future version of After Effects. We will update this post when a fix becomes available…

5. Bug Report: Immersive Environment Projection Options

In Version 18, they removed the "VR Goggles" from the Composition Window which is where we would change the projection for the Adobe Immersive Enviroment so that the footage would be properly displayed inside of a VR Headset. You didn't give us another place to change this settings so any versions of AE past 17.7.0 are unusable for 360 VR workflows. Can we get our button back? #AdobeUXQC_Fail

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Magnification Ratio Revamp

Hello. We would love to see the Magnification Ratio updated with custom zoom values. Based on a small poll in MDA Slack, 7 people agree.

1. Customize the values in the Magnification Ratios list in the AE Preferences.
    2. Add "Custom..." to bottom of Magnification Ratio list and allow entering one-time custom value.

Thanks!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Adding and subtracting in the frame number box

I used to be able click in the frame number box, and type in something like "1460+20", for example, and then it would take me to frame number "1480". But the more recent versions of After Effects don't seem to do this any more? Can we have this feature reinstated please? Because it was really useful, and saved me from having to get my calculator out.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dark Mode support in MacOS

import and save and close windows are light when they should be dark when system dark mode is on. please please please fix this, I've been waiting years for this to be fixed but somehow not fixed yet.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Lock Workspace

I think it would be useful to borrow the Lock Workspace feature from Photoshop for After Effects, esp with the wide use of so many scripts and CEP panels in many workflows. I accidentally pull off tabs or slide them around in my day-to-day use of AE, esp since I’m using a Wacom pen most of the time.

I’m sure there’s some wrinkles to consider, esp when switching Workspaces while locked - do you prompt with a pop-up or automatically switch it?

113 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add additional functionality to the Snapshot button in AE to make it similar to Premiere.

I would love to see some additional functionality added to the Snapshot button in AE to make it similar to the Export Frame button in Premiere.

When working, I'm always taking screenshot of the active comp to send to people to take a quick look at what i'm working on. The downside to using a screenshot is that you get all the UI elements in the way, and it's not locked to the native size of the comp window.

In Premiere, you can hit a button that looks the same as the snapshot button in AE, but they work completely…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. open multiple comps from render queue again PLEASE!

Selecting more than one comp in the render queue and double clicking no longer opens all the Comps, just one.
    Please ensure this is fixed soon.
    I assume this is a bug, like the Effects panel no longer opening when you double click a layer, and that you will be reinstating some of this basic functionality in the next point updates

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Render Queue Complete Notifications Time Limits & Options

The new Render Complete Notifications are amazing for being able to take breaks, but they can steal focus far too often if rendering out comps that are fast - a couple user settable preferences would be incredible.

The following are my requests for options:
    - allow the user to set a maximum frequency for notifications
    - only notify on full queue completion instead of for each comp
    - if a queue will take less than estimated [user input time limit], only notify on completion of full queue.

I could see these living in the Preferences panel, or directly in the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Shift Forward Slash

Shift Forward Slash still doesn't work 22.5.0.

Marc Trzepla
    October 12, 2021

I SWEAR that if I was working in the Effects panel .. the Effects panel active ... I could press Shift Forward Slash to fit my comp viewer to All. Now I can't do that. In order to get Shift Forward Slash to work I have to activate the timeline panel or the comp viewer.

I know this has to have worked in the past - I apparently have the muscle memory of using it when the Effects panel is active because I keep trying to invoke it…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. After Effects has a panel problem

After Effects has a lot of plugins that can really speed up animator's workflows. When functionality is missing, plug-ins and scripts fill the gap. Unfortunately the After Effects SDK makes most helpful tools keep all of their functionality contained within a ScriptUI panel. This is fine for really big tools like Flow and Keysmith, where you want to integrate them into your workspace because you use them all of the time. However, there are a lot of "single-use" tools that only do one thing, but need a full ScriptUI panel to display a control of some sort. These can add…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Split the Difference command

How many times have we tweaked something only to wish we'd tweaked it half as much?
    Well, I propose to you, a split the difference command. It's like...half of an undo (and it should sit near it in the menu). Kinda like the fade command in Photoshop, but more quick and useful.

I understand that this would likely only be available on adjusting parameters with numerical values (and colors, since they're numerical too) and it wouldn't work for something like Curves or ye olde Colorama, but I think it would still be amazingly handy to have. Please and thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make the window resizing tool less buggy

This seems more like a bug than anything but please see the video. It's a HUGE pain in the neck simply resizing my windows in AE.

https://www.loom.com/share/bab0fe207f4f4cbc9860a73adc7a66a8

T

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Preferences: Default keyframes colours

It would be great to have an additional "Preferences" category similar to the "Labels" or "Scripting & Expressions" which let you set default colours for keyframes of standard properties.

Example: Position Yellow, Rotation Red, Scale Green

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. v 22.2 update cleared shortcut keys and workspaces

The v22.2 update cleared all my shortcut keys and workspace layouts! It’s 2022 - user prefs should not be overwritten by a point update!!! (Or really any update.)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Show the number of selected files in bin.

Show the number of selected files in bin.
    When you select multiple files in After Effects Project bin, it won't show anything. They should show at least the number of selected files I have.
    I keep on getting me counting the number of files I have selected.
    But it can show other common stuff between those selected files too. But for sure, the number is the most important.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 49 50

Feedback and Knowledge Base