After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. BUG - pen tool crash

Weird bug where when using the pen tool, if the footage panel is open, passing over it freezes then crashes AE. Submitted the crash report and posting here in hopes it can be duplicated and fixed.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. There is an issue with Key Cleaner.

After Effects crashes unexpectedly after applying key cleaner weather you use Keylight or color range without a message or warning.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Urgent Bug in 2020 - 3D Reference Axis Causes Instant Crash

Turning on the 3D Reference Axis in 2020 causes an automatic crash.

For days I've been trying to figure out why some of my older projects were crashing in 2020 when I opened a comp, and I just realized it's because the 3D Reference Axis was on in those comps.

To recreate the problem, simply add a Camera layer to any comp, and turn on the 3D Reference Axis.

I'm on an iMac running Big Sur, but I get the same results on Catalina, and on a PC running Windows 10.

Please fix ASAP. I have products that clients can't…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. AE v17.5 crashing on launch under MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

Running MacOS 10.13.6, so I'm currently unable to install a few of the updated apps. That being said, After Effects 17.5 was allowed to be installed. On launch it crashes out every time with the two following errors:

After Effects error: Couldn't find main entry point for Camera Raw.plugin ( 48::72 )

After Effects error: unbalanced unprepared. ( 48::30 )

No way to launch the app without the crash.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug. This problem occurred because the October 2020 release of Adobe Camera Raw is not compatible with macOS 10.13, however the Creative Cloud desktop app did not prevent it from being installed. That has been corrected, however if you’ve already installed v13 of ACR, you will need to uninstall it and reinstall v12.4.

More information here:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-solve-after-effects-v-17-5-crash-at-launch/td-p/11522545?page=1

5. Bug with .setPropertyParameters() for Dropdown Control

This method seems to generate a "Duplicate item names are not allowed" error when using an array where an index is a substring of another index. This example specifically triggers it: ["HeadTop", "Head", "HeadBottom"]; will not be accepted by the method (the "Head" index seems to throw it off) - But: ["HeadTop", "HeadMiddle", "HeadBottom"] will be accepted.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. AE 17.0 RAM Preview unresponsive / stuck

RAM Preview speed has improved but the entire program becomes unresponsive to clicks, spacebar, Num0, ESC, etc. Playback continues on loop and the only way I've found to regain control is to minimize/maximize AE.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. [BUG] Master Properties can't be changed with expression

I put this simple expression on a master property that cycles through some items. It shows 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, etc. on the control, but it only shows the item #1.

timeToFrames(time/50) % 3 + 1;

This wasn't working on another master property, but it started to at some point on it's own. I've tried purging, recreating the property. About the only thing I haven't tried so far but sometimes works is recreating it all in a new comp.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. String memory leak

Error 83::2 - String Memory Leak
    I get this error message every time I log out of AE 2019 whilst using one particular project that involves a lot of imports. Will not open the files again later. I can work around it by importing the file into a new project, but once I save the NEW project, under a different name and go to quit the program, I get the same error message and rinse and repeat. I don't know which, if any, files are corrupt and the program otherwise acts normally until I try and close out the program.It…

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug - Opening projects that use 2020 drop-down menu expression controls (Pseudo dialog on startup)

I love the new drop down expression control effect in AE2020. Unfortunately though I have a bug on opening the project file. I get a dialog box similar to the attached screen grab for each instance I've used the drop-down menu as a master property. The code in the dialog changes for each instance.

For context, my project file features one precomp with a number of properties controlled by 3x dropdown menus on a control layer for colour, text option and positioning. That precomp is used in 5 other compositions, where using Master Properties I have used different drop down…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. BUG - AE 2020 Viewport glitching out at 100% or less zoom.

The viewport completely glitches out at 100% or less.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling AE 2020.

Viewport is fine in AE 2019.

Hardware specs:

Mac OS Catalina
    Macbook Pro 16" 2019
    AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
    64GB RAM

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. bug report - playback issue

Having an issue with the new 2020 update that was not happening with 2019. First off, a lot of things are quite laggy when clicked so take a long time to react. Sometimes it's a second or two, sometimes it's so long I start thinking AE is locked up. I can start playback on a section and then it won't stop (by hitting 0, clicking the playhead, hitting Space). Sometimes it takes a few seconds to respond and sometimes up to a minute. Several times now I actually had to force close AE just to make it stop playback.

I…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Extractor BUG, 2019

with the new update of AE 2019, whenever we are using extractor on exr passes, extractor is not going away, so at the end of the project we end up having like 55 extractor menus open on the second monitor, which is a bit funny. please fix, thanks.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. [16.1.1 BUG] Clicking on Expression Editor inside Graph Editor freezes AE

AE 16.1.1
    macOS Mojave 10.14

Steps to Reproduce:

• Apply an expression to a property

• With that property selected, go to the Graph Editor

• Right click on the graph and enable "Show Expression Editor"

• Click on the expression editor
      Result: AE freezes

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. BUG: Install Script... causes endless window popups, cancel button doesn't work

BUG - After selecting Install Script.. from the menu, an endless amount of popup windows occured. Pressing cancel does nothing. I had to End Process via task manager to stop it and relaunch. Please fix.

AE CC 2019, Win10

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Crash When Editing Text CC2019

I had written too much text and it went outside of the bounding box, so to fix it I was going to change the font size. So I hit Shift + Up and I got an immediate crash.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. BUG: Ae associtated with indesign files

Not sure if this is really an AE thing, but I've been force quitting AE all morning so I'm filing this here so you have some idea why (And because there seems to be no official bug reporting for bridge, and this hardly seems like an Indesign problem)

Since installing the new CC updates this morning double clicking on any indesign file causes AE to launch. This is true via bridge and finder, and is not fun as AE takes a while to launch then error out (because unsurprisingly you can't read an indesign file in AE)

Both Bridge and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. AE cc2019 16.0.1 crashes when entering in a precomp

As the subject says When I double click to go to a precomp it crashes without any reason. I'm using windows 10.

I've downgraded to 16.0 and it seems fine.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. BUG: Essential Graphics Stalls Timeline Scrubbing

I have a fairly large project that uses the Essential Graphics panel to control about 20 properties across 10-12 comps. When the EG panel is closed, everything works perfectly. But as soon as I open the EG panel and attempt to scrub in the Timeline AE freezes for about 25-30 seconds.

One workaround I've discovered is that if I group the properties into folders, as long as the folder is collapsed I can scrub freely. But as soon as I expand the group of properties the problem returns.

Coworkers with smaller projects and fewer EG properties are experiencing the same…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix 3d camera tracker in AE

3d camera tracker no longer completes the solve and doesn't have any progress metre.

62 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base