After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. GPU should be used more especially when using shape in animations.

GPU should be used more especially when using shape in animations.

GPU utilization too low while working.I want you to use about 80% of the whole.

GPUの使用率が低すぎるので70~80%ぐらいは常に使う様に処理を改善して欲しい。現状ではかなり使用率が低すぎる。

221 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Playback won't stop playing back

Bug Report:

When doing a RAM preview, After Effects will cache and play like normal, but won't stop. The interface will hang and AE will continue to play back indefinitely. This issue occurs seemingly randomly several times throughout the day.

This is occurring on several computers running Windows 10 and AE 17.0.4.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Upgraded to AE 2020 - Display Acceleration Disabled

Just updated to AE 2020, and I can't Preview video on timeline anymore. When I scrub playhead I can see the animation, but when I hit Play, I'm getting just static frame (timeline even fully cached). There is also "Display Acceleration Disabled" alert in the corner of the Comp. Could you fix this issue asap?

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 16 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Full program multi-threaded support

After Effects would benefit greatly from being able to actually utilize all cores when rendering, rather than having to rely on a third party solution, like the excellent program Render Garden by Mekajiki.

929 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

378 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everybody!

(This post was co-authored by Tim Kurkoski (After Effects Product Owner), Andrew Cheyne (After Effects Engineering Manager), and Victoria Nece (After Effects Product Manager).)

This thread has been sitting here for quite a while without a response. To start, we want to apologize for that. We haven’t been ignoring you or your feedback – this is just a particularly complex topic. That said, it’s time for us to check in with you, clarify a few things, and give you an idea of what we’re looking at for the future of After Effects, especially when it comes to performance.

To start, we fully understand that you want After Effects to be as fast as it can be – utilizing your computer’s hardware resources to render as fast as possible. Over the last several years, we have been working on the performance of After Effects constantly. Sometimes those performance gains…

5. "Collect files for Queued Comps" no longer properly collects all files.

This issue appears to have started up with AE 2020 (17.*), and is still present in AE 17.0.4 as of this posting date.

I work with a lot of large AE projects that I often need to collect from a server to as local file in order to more efficiently render them. Generally, I've done this over the years by setting up a render queue and going to File-->Dependency-->Collect Files... and selecting "Collect Source Files: For Queued Comps."

With the latest versions of AE, using "For Queued Comps" now results in only a small handful of the necessary files being…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug: After Effects 2020 crashes on zoom

After Effects 2020 keeps crashing when I use my Apple Wireless Magic Mouse 2 to zoom in. As soon as I slide my finger, the application crashes. It seems like it's isolated to one specific pre-comp.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Missing fonts not reported in CC2020

The program doesn't alert the user when a font is missing - just replaces the font with Myriad Pro. Then, when one clicks on the font, it doesn't update with the parentheses, so you can't see what font you need to add.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. After Effects regularly missing keystrokes

After Effects is regularly missing keystrokes. I have tried to type slower, give the system time to catch up, and when I'm typing text in a composition it just randomly does not register keys. Occasionally it happens when I'm typing values into a panel (Setting font size to 150 and it will miss a number so it will be 10 or 15 or 50). This only seems to occur regularly in AE 2020. This is creating huge problems with clients on larger text blocks because AE is introducing typos because of this bug.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. bug report: add to media encoder queue is broken

On After Effects 2020 when I tried to send my compositions to Media Encoder Queue, Media Encoder started and opened but nothing was added to the queue list. I tested this several times with different projects and several compositions.
    I also tested sending Premiere Pro 2020 sequences to Media Encoder Queue and everything worked fine - so my conclusion is that something in Dynamic Link from After Effects is broken.
    I'm working on a MacBook pro 2018 on iOS Catalina.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. AE v17.0.2: No Metal GPU Acceleration available - MacPro 2013 (Dual AMD500)

Since a few days I simply can't pick Metal GPU acceleration in AE v17.0.2. Also AE is taking AGES to start up.
    Metal support is working fine with v16.1.3 (check the screenshots).

It seems to be related to the issue I've been having with PR not being able to "...find any capable video play modules" (check this thread here:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premiere-pro-could-not-find-any-capable-video-play-modules-please-update-your-video-display-drivers/m-p/10862082#M247598 ).

Basically PR and AE versions 2020 are unusable here!
    This needs fixing ASAP. Thanks!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Preferences modal takes a long time to appear

This problem started with AE2020. When selecting After Effects > Preferences, it takes several seconds, first a few seconds with no visible activity, then a few seconds of beach ball, before the preferences modal opens. Every time it happens I get a twist in my stomach that AE is about to crash. Please fix! (Mac Book Pro 2018 - Mojave 10.14.6 (18G1012))

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Rebuild AE from the ground up so everything runs on the GPU

Last night I had to wait 5 hours to render out a 7min sequence on a 6core i7 with 2 x nVidia1070. GPU usage never went above 4% for GPU 0 and 0% for GPU 1. CPU thread 2 never went above 35% whilst all other threads stayed around 10%. Network usage never went above 350Mbps on a 10GBe connection. Every year users request that AE uses more system resources yet it still never seems to happen. By your own words AE is the industry standard for motion GRAPHICS yet it hardly utilises the GRAPHICS processing unit at all. Every…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. BUG: Undo not updating viewer window until move viewer or zoom

When you undo currently then the viewer doesn't update. The bounding box of what has been undone moves into place but the image doesn't update until you move or zoom into the image

Running AE 16.1

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Disk playback instead of RAM,

I get that 20 years ago hard drives weren't the quickest and there was a limited choice in codecs so it made sense to playback from RAM. But now we all have SSDs and DNxHR exists I don't get why AE has not been re-written to playback straight from a hard drive rather than moving it into RAM first. It would be great for AE to playback from disk with a choice of codec and bit depth dependent on a users needs and system capability, much in the way that Resolve does with smart cache (see pic). Uncompressed I gather…

175 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Optimize UI performance on 4k screens

UI was working fine and smooth using 1920x1080, but since the day I work with a 4k monitor it is terribly slow. I had to tweak some windows settings to get better performance, but this makes the UI look blurry... so either an awfully slow UI or a blurry UI...

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. After Effects UI is EXTREMELY SLOW (mainly on PC)

After Effects, particularly on a PC with Windows and a 4K screen behaves extremely slow. I have 1080ti GPU and a 9940x CPU at 4.5 ghz and 128gb of ram. The more layers I add the slower it gets. It's ok that the frames take longer to render, but why does the ENTIRE UI need to be slower and slower. Can't I scrub the timeline in the same speed and regardless of frames taking longer to render??? On a mac this is faster, though still slow. This is the MAIN reason why After Effects feels horribly slow and it is…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Lagging and missing keystrokes

For several months now, I frequently have problems where two main issues occur, which feel related:

1) After Effects is still processing a command, usually moving keyframes, where I place the keyframe, release my mouse button, move my mouse, and then the keyframe jumps to the new location of my mouse instead. Like it never registered the original placement of the keyframe and lagged.

2) Often doesn't register keystrokes. This applies to both typing in text layers, and also just general keyboard shortcut commands. It results frequently in text missing letters that just never registered as I was typing, or…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add Apple's Afterburner card support for After Effects to help increase render speed.

Add Apple's Afterburner card support for After Effects to help increase render speed.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Slow GUI and preview. + aep file causing BUG

I'm having this problem since the first release of AE 2020 (still bad in 17.0.5). I prepared "issue.aep" file with one composition. It works ridicilously slow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wf6zbwqjqnnimj3/issue.aep?dl=0

Every action requiring redrawing UI takes a lot of time and strongly loads CPU - impossible to work. "Hardware Accelerate ... Panels" option doesn't do any change. This project has many Shape Layers with Trim Paths and Fill Colors animation but works FINE and pretty fast on my machine in previous versions of AE (2019 for example).

My system: Windows 10.0.18363 Pro, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming, i7-9700K, 32 Gb DDR4 3466 Mhz Dual-channel,…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Slow GUI and preview. aep causing BUG attached

I'm having this problem since the first release of AE 2020 (still bad in 17.0.5). The comp preview in attached "issue.aep" file is ridicilously slow. Every action requiring redrawing UI takes a lot of time and strongly loads CPU - impossible to work. "Hardware Accelerate ... Panels" option doesn't do any change. This project has many Shape Layers with Trim Paths and Fill Colors animation but works FINE and pretty fast on my machine in previous versions of AE (2019 for example).

My system: Windows 10.0.18363 Pro, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming, i7-9700K, 32 Gb DDR4 3466 Mhz Dual-channel, Samsung SSD…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base