After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. aerender fails on Mac OS 11.4 with error -1701 "AEGetParamPt failed at line 918"

in Mac OS 11.4, aerender fails. The rumor is it's a permissions issue, but it occurs despite all permissions granted to After Effects and Terminal.

$ '/Applications/Adobe After Effects 2021/aerender' -project SHOW1154.aep
    aerender version 18.2x37
    PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...
    aerender ERROR -1701: AEGetParamPt failed at line 918
    $ /Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ 2020/aerender -project SHOW1154.aep
    aerender version 17.7x45
    PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...
    aerender ERROR -1701: AEGetParamPt failed at line 918

59 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

34 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Lock Workspace

I think it would be useful to borrow the Lock Workspace feature from Photoshop for After Effects, esp with the wide use of so many scripts and CEP panels in many workflows. I accidentally pull off tabs or slide them around in my day-to-day use of AE, esp since I’m using a Wacom pen most of the time.

I’m sure there’s some wrinkles to consider, esp when switching Workspaces while locked - do you prompt with a pop-up or automatically switch it?

53 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New Shape Layer 'Expression Repeater'

How about a new type of Repeater for shape groups that looks pretty much the same as the existing one, except that values in it's Transform properties are not applied cumulatively, but rather have their expressions evaluated individually for every copy of the shape?

So if I add a random expression to the repeater's Position property, I get a bunch of randomly positioned copies. Ideally we'd get expression access to something like repeaterIndex (like textIndex in text layer expression selectors) but even without any new syntax it would be amazing. I can already imagine making a growing vine which automatically…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 18.4 is eating through my memory and then crashing during previews and renders

After Effects is eating through memory when previewing and rendering. It goes through my 128 gig in about a hundred frames and then crashes.

After effects is getting worse not better

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Interface is Slow and Laggy

Dear Adobe,

Me again.

Please stop everything that you're doing with the development of new bells and whistles and doodads and put all your resources and firepower into resolving the years-old issue of the Slow and Laggy Interface in After Effects. Seriously. It's been YEARS. I kept thinking, "ah, they'll fix it soon.." and hope for the best and I end up feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football every time a new update for After Effects comes out. "Maybe they fixed it!" And it's still not fixed.

When I contact Support I'm told, "the issue that you…

184 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. an indicator to show which expression engine is in use

Currently there is no way to tell what expression engine is in use, without opening up the prefs to check. Using the legacy expressions engine causes annoying expressions errors, that can be hard to debug if you don't realise that the legacy expressions engine is running.
    An indicator (or switch) in the UI, maybe as part of the expressions editor would be helpful.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. "V" shortcut does not work in AE 18.1

After update to 18.1 the "V" key is not working to choose the selection tool.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. autosave/save in background

Waiting for up to two minutes and having After Effects locked while saving is quite frustrating. Illustrator, Premiere and Photoshop all enable a user to save while working. I'd really appreciate this being added to AE.

84 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve "inline" styling of text via Expressions

It would be great to not only be able to use the "getStyleAt()" method, but also implement something like "setStyleAt()" in order to style portions of the text separately.

It would also help to be able to chain different styles together. Right now, it's impossible to do proper text styling with different style types programmatically. It would be incredibly helpful, especially for Templates / MOGRTs.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Return UI to customize markers

I would like to bring the old user interface for markers back to the new version of After Effects.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. ACTUALLY LET US MAKE A DIRECT COMPLAINT

How about instead of making us VOTE for features we want you to repair. You take the money we give you every month and fix the problems. No broken feature should require a popularity contest to get fixed. It's pathetic.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Disable keyframes from effecting animations

Quite often when working with After Effects, especially character animation work, I will need to move a bunch of keyframes further away in the timeline so that I can add in an additional pose for example. This is made incredibly difficult as any new keyframe information that is added will try to move to the animation that has been moved further in the timeline. It would be incredibly useful to be able to select the keyframes and temporarily disable them so that you can focus on the new section of animation required then reenable the keyframes when the additional poses…

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. GPU should be used more especially when using shape in animations.

GPU should be used more especially when using shape in animations.

GPU utilization too low while working.I want you to use about 80% of the whole.

GPUの使用率が低すぎるので70~80%ぐらいは常に使う様に処理を改善して欲しい。現状ではかなり使用率が低すぎる。

461 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. After effects 2021 hangs on composition opening

AE 2021 hangs when I load compositions in the project.
    If I move to a different composition or go inside a nested composition it doesn't matter - the program will hang - only force quitting will help.
    Makes this version unusable.
    I have older versions of AE and it works fine.
    I use macOS Catalina
    happens randomly on new projects as well as old ones.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  19 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add customizable tokens/properties to Render Queue

It would be extremely helpful to be able to define our own render tokens somehow. We often have very long and complex filenames that string together common elements like "Project Code," "Client Name," "Project Name," "Deliverable Name," "First/Last Initials," "Version Number", "Language"

It would be helpful to be able to define these somewhere in the AE project, perhaps as metadata, and then allow them to be used as render tokens/properties that can be used in the existing File Name and Location Templates.

Sure, we can manually enter this information ourselves when we go to render. We could also rename our…

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. "Track Matte" feature for the "Set Matte" Effect.

CC composite is great for compositing its own layer over itself again, the track mattes is good for tracking an alpha/luma of a layer above itself.
    However, many times I'd like to composite, say an icon, over a circle shape - then animate each one independently (perhaps the circle scales up and the icon slides down to the centre of the circle), then, have the icon track the circles alpha channel so you only ever see the icon inside the circle.
    Set matte doesnt often work as you are manipulating transform properties, and set matte seems to only work when…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bring back 1, 2, 4-View Interface!

For some stupid reason... we can no longer see the 1, 2, 4-View option in the Composition Window. This feature has been changed where you MUST have 3D Track enabled in order to view this option. Whomever made that decision to update the interface with this newer work flow is an Idiot! CHANGE IT BACK! There was NO reason for this!

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of today, in After Effects Beta v18.2 build 9, the view layout can now be switched by going to the View menu > Switch View Layout. You no longer need to have a 3D layer in the comp to switch the view layout.

We’re looking at other changes in this area. Please try the Beta build and let us know how these changes work for you.

18. Audio pipeline for essential graphics media replacement

Media replacement in Mogrts has been amazing for so many usecases. But as it stands, it is only pushing pixels outside of source compositions.

This means it still does not have a ton of use outside of still images or media without audio.

It would be great if I could use media replacement to replace a video clip in after effects, and have the audio from the replacement video playback as well!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Option for temporary prefs reset

On more than a few occasions I've needed to check and see if my workspaces have been contributing to issues that arise in the public beta. The official way to reset all my prefs is to launch the app while holding

• Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
    • Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS)

This works but it completely obliterates all my prefs custom workspaces forever. I currently go to that folder and make a copy before doing this but that eats up time and is a pain. I'd like to have a temporary option to load the app with default preferences (perhaps by holding z with the…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. [BUG] DNx Codecs No Longer Supported?

ISSUE: As of v18.4, DNx Codecs no longer work properly in AE (as well as Media Encoder and possibly others). For example, a known good (works in other programs, as well as older versions of AE) DNxHR HQ video with Alpha will appear completely black.

REPRODUCTION: Import a DNx video file, for example DNxHR HQ with alpha channel into After Effects.

WORKAROUND: Rolling back to v18.2.1 works as a workaround, but is not viable long-term or with remote teams.

SYSTEM INFO: This issue has occurred on various Windows-based machines of various capabilities. Some of the editors on my team who…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 183 184
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base