After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. FIX After Effects 2022 V22.0.1

After Effects 2022 v22.0.1 DOES NOT EXPORT TO MEDIA ENCODER on Windows. This problem was reported for Mac, but it was directly stated that others have the same problem on Windows. Exact same symptoms, exact same behaviour. You try to export a video from After Effects using the Media Encoder Queue, and nothing happens. Media Encoder opens and just sits there doing absolutely nothing.

201 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

74 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ACTUALLY LET US MAKE A DIRECT COMPLAINT

How about instead of making us VOTE for features we want you to repair. You take the money we give you every month and fix the problems. No broken feature should require a popularity contest to get fixed. It's pathetic.

297 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Modern 3D Realtime Engine (GPU) for VFX and Motion Graphics

After Effects finally needs a competitive 3D Realtime Engine (GPU) for 3D compositing and virtual workflows of the future. The Link to Cinema is too slow, complicated and unstable for simple 3D compositing tasks. So it needs something like "3D Elements" on steroids and native in AE.

Dranging some 3D Assets into AE, add some effects, tweak and light them, is a must have in 2022. Compositing, Motion Graphics and VFX are not only 2D/2,5D! - they happen now also in 3D and Realtime!

What this new real time 3D Engine needs:
    - 3D Geometry Support (import/export)
    - PBR Shaders…

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. New way of mapping (virtually all) properties

After AE got that nice update with track mattes I think it may be the time to take another great step and make many more the properties mappable.
    This will definitely require a new dialogue window, where you can bind a comp layer to virtually any parameter and set the remapping ranges applied to the pixel data. The current property mapping approach is very limited. Imagine if you could map any of the AE's blurs' radius, or the stroke radius/color/softness, or the glow's brightness/radius/color, or you could even drive the main layer properties like position/rotation with an animated texture. This…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. RAM Preview not real time on MacBook Pro M1 Max

I'm currently having to use After Effects 2021 instead of 2022 because 2022 will not RAM preview in real time. I'm running a brand spankin' new 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max with 64GB Unified Memory & 4TB of space. The system is screaming fast so this AE issue is evidently a bug. Please fix as soon as possible Adobe because AE 2022 looks amazing and I'm dying to dive in.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback on these playback performance issues. As you may have seen, the latest update to After Effects 2022 ( 22.3 ) brings native support for Apple silicon to the release version. While we are not considering this playback performance issue fixed yet, but we do need some clarity around the exact conditions that can cause the playback performance to degrade, given that it appears to have originally been reported against After Effects running under Rosetta. With that in mind, please do the following:

If you have been running into slow previews while using After Effects 22.2.1 or earlier on Apple silicon under Rosetta, please update to 22.3 and see if the playback issues persist when you run After Effects natively. Let us know with a comment whether you continue to see any playback issues when running After Effects natively or under Rosetta.

If…

6. Please migrate the stuff we install properly

Revolutionary idea: Migrate all my scripts and presets to the updated version. It should not break every major update. All content gets left behind when the previous version is deleted, so why not migrate the scripts that I have installed automatically? It does so for all settings, but I keep having to reinstall my scripts and custom UI panels. Other way would be to have a folder somewhere that contains user scripts? Like in Documents/Adobe where there is already a folder?

154 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Stop adding new features till the program works at an appropriate speed.

I'm tracking footage as I write this. the entire file is just a single 4k video with two trackers. my cache is on an ssd, and I run a 1070 and 6700k intel chip. not the best, I know...
    bit it worked fine on 6k anamorphic video in 2016 when I made it. so now I get to say:
    what the hell adobe. how did you mess this up so much, the moment you went subscription?

it's simple. after effects has become like 3DS max: buggy, cobbled together, filled with half-functional plugins, all with messy code and badly integrated, with…

136 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. all but one text character gets selected with my cursor

When using my cursor to highlight text, the last character will always be omitted from the selection.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for reporting this issue when selecting text. This issue was fixed in a previous version ( AE 22.4 ) but then resurfaced in the subsequent version ( AE 22.5 ). I apologize for the confusion and frustration around which versions contained the fix. It is never our intent for fixes to remain in Beta without moving into the release version; in this case, the issue was fixed in Beta, moved to release in 22.4, but then resurfaced in both the ongoing Beta and 22.5.

There is now a fix for the resurfaced issue that is available in After Effects (Beta) 23.0.0.25 and later. Please give this build a try if you can and let us know how it is working for you when selecting text. This fix can then be included in a future release of After Effects 23.0.

Please note that the latest versions…

9. Preference Option: Default to Disable Audio of Video Clips on Timeline Import

I find that since audio is typically only referenced in AE rather than edited, I am often having to look for and manually disable all video clips that contain audio tracks within the project. This leads to recurring accidents of having surprise elements of audio in my renders and additional needless labor.

The alternative, to me, would be to have an option in preferences that, by default, disables the audio of video layers that contain audio tracks.

Please note that these audio channels would remain present and could manually be turned back on within the timeline.

This is only in…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make the 'I' shortcut go to the earliest inPoint of multiple selected layers

Currently the behaviour when using the 'I' keyboard shortcut, when multiple layers are selected, is to move the CTI to the inPoint of the top-most selected layer in the layer stack. This would be far more useful if it moved the CTI to the inPoint of the group, ie. the earliest inPoint of the multiple selected layers.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Extended Viewer as an option to be enabled for 2D rather than only 3D

The new extended viewer is a great addition to the program, nice being able to see outside of the viewer frame! It would be amazing if this was an option for a 2D workflow, there's definite benefits for being able to have vision of what's outside the frame

A workaround for those who like this as well, you can create a simple 3D layer and hide it. It will allow you to still use the draft 3D mode to have the extended view enabled for your 2D layers. Not sure what impact it would have on performance though having 3D…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Wrong render output when rendering multiple composition with different resolution in the same queue

I'd like to report an issue we are facing since After Effects 22.4 and 22.5 (it doesn't affect AE 22.3) on two different workstations running macOS 12.4 Monterey.
    This, by the way, doesn't happen on a windows 10 workstation.

The problem is easily reproducible. In a project, create 3 compositions with different aspect ratio, 1920x1080, 1080x1080, 1080x1920 .
    When you queue the composition in this order 16:9, 1:1, 9:16, the last rendered (9:16) seems to be squashed in a 1:1 ratio, with a green rectangle at the bottom.
    When rendering in 16:9,9:16, 1:1, the last rendered (1:1) outputs to a…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. AE 22.6.0 (Build 64) keeps throwing error: attempt to remove an item from a position outside of list length (27 :: 9). T

AE 22.6.0 (Build 64) keeps throwing error: attempt to remove an item from a position outside of list length (27 :: 9). The error happens any time you undo something, or move a layer or keyframe in the timeline. Working inside a TEAM PROJECT, which I assume is part of the issue. AE is almost unusable as the error throws constantly.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bug report

hey so im using after effects 2022 version 22.5 and using mac m1 and when i click the buttons nothing happens like i cant save i cant import stuff i cant pre compose i cant render

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bug Report AE 22.1.1: Menu Bar and all right click drop-downs not working

Menu bar and all right click dropdowns are not working in AE 2022. You click an item in the menu bar and nothing appears, you click again and it shows up for a moment but disappears when you move your mouse over to click on a drop down item.

When you click for the first time, you can click on drop down items by guessing the approximate location of where they are but they are invisible so it's a guessing game.

This makes AE completely unusable. Fixes when you delete your preferences file but it is not feasible to delete…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this issue and for your continuing feedback. The team is aware of this problem and is investigating potential fixes.

The issue appears to be that After Effects is not being fully "focused" on launch due to dialogs being shown during launch or other applications being focused while After Effects is loading. The workaround is to click the After Effects icon in the macOS Dock if the menus are not working. This fully focuses the app and should allow menus to behave correctly. Please let us know if this doesn't fix the issue for you. Relaunching can also help ( as noted below ) but clicking the After Effects icon in the dock is much more direct.

Again, we are investigating fixes for this issue to be included in a future version of After Effects. We will update this post when a fix becomes available…

16. BUG: AE 22.3 DNx Codecs Broken

DNx codecs are broken when updating to AE 22.3, which affects usability with any high profile Avid projects. Any QTs exported with DNx codecs will no longer import into the Avid, and you also cannot re-import these exports into AE.
    The codecs work if you roll back to AE 22.2.1

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Incremental Iterative RAM Preview

We commit lots of RAM Previews daily and oftentimes, we view a RAM preview on repeat. Going from Zero to when the RAM Preview is ready for viewing takes x number of seconds. Oftentimes, we can make do without a full, fps preview when we just want a quick look to ensure what we're doing is going as planned - things moving in the right direction; general layout looks as expected and layers are looking as expected. For this, a RAM Preview in 2s or 3s is sufficient. However, user experience can be improved if we combined these truths with…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. After Effects needed more Tim Kurkoski at NAB

I feel that the whole NAB experience would have performed better and been much more stable if Tim was there.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Major ProRes Bug!

Please please please fix the ProRes encoder! AE only renders ProRes at 8-bit, despite all the preferences, project settings and output modules being set up correctly for 16-bit output. In fact, if I set up an extra output module, AE renders beautiful 16-bit PNGs, but awful 8-bit ProRes files. ProRes is an integral part of our studio pipeline (and, I'd wager, crucial to a lot of other professional studios). We're running AE 22.5 on OSX 12.3.1.
    Thanks - Yan.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. After effects crashes when importing PSD files with latest update (version 22.2)

When importing PSD files the "importing selected items" popup gets lasts for a long time then After Effects crashes . Was working perfectly fine a few days ago.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  17 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 211 212

Feedback and Knowledge Base