After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Switching comp should switch the Master comp drop down in Essential Graphics panel

When you work in the Essential Graphics panel and start to connect attributes from different comps and jumping back and forth between comps, the Master comp you select from the drop down in Essential Graphics panel should update to the comp you are currently viewing.

If you want to freeze the panel to add attributes to a Essential Graphics Master comp that you are currently not viewing add the little lock icon like we have in the comp-viewer, effects panel.

8 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better organisation in program of essential graphics

Essential Graphics templates can take a lot of trial and error to get right. Why is it to difficult to delete a graphic when I want to export a new copy? When using essential graphics panel I can't delete templates, and I have no way to save and update a new copy.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Addition or substraction in time indicator

It would be nice to be able to add or susbtract values in the time indicator field to move in the timeline by maths.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Tapered Stroke Improvements (for Beta Version)

Thanks for finally developing a native tapered stroke feature on After Effects. I'm playing with it and find it very easy to use!

But I think this feature could be improved for many users if you consider that the taper could mimic better the width tool on Adobe Illustrator.

Now the taper produce a pointy or semi-rounded stroke cap, but it isn't possible to preserve a perfect round or butt cap.

Thank you again!

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable UI scaling.

Adobe Illustrator added a UI Scaling slider that allows people to scale the UI. Adobe Photoshop has a UI font size selector, and a checkbox to scale the rest of the UI accordingly. Even though I have 20/20 vision, I use these in both programs since I use a large, high resolution monitor and my face is a few feet away from the screen. I'd love to see something like this in After Effects, as I find myself straining to find things. (A light UI instead of dark would help contrast as well, but I'll create a separate request for…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. allow interface text size to be increased

be able to increase the size of the text within the software, not being able to defeats some of the advantage of having a large monitor

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make the expression editor a seperate window

The Expression editor hidden in the graph window is much better than the Timeline version. Making this it's own dockable window would allow much easier workspace to be saved. At the moment Graph Editor / Show Expression editor for every comp / layer etc. is a waste of time. Resizing layers in the time line is even worse. This is exactly what you did with the graph editor, i.e. make it behave like all other apps!

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Update the Project Panel

The project window needs updating.
    1. At very least Resizable Thumbnail - Tiny on a 4k Monitor
    2. Add scalable Thumbnails as per premiere.

3. Add Multiple Bins/Project windows ( Call them bins for consistency )

4. All the column info could be in separate panel ( think Exif data panel in Lightroom )

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Just for fun. Or for some analytics. How about add some statistics to project?

It's very interesting sometimes to know how giant you project.
    Like in MS Word, you can see quantity of pages, lines, words, characters.
    Add entry to File menu "Project statistics", and it's shows something like:

You project contain 32 comps,
    64 solids, 98 sequences, 32 images,
    512 layers,
    128 expressions,
    8192 key frames.
    ... effects
    ... texts
    ... shapes.

I interested in key frames number especially, really wanna know how much key frames in my large and old fifty MB project.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Selecting multiple text layers does not

When selecting multiple text layers, the character panel does not accurately display font used and will sometimes display the last font used. Also, selecting multiple text layers to change font on all layers doesn't always work. This is true for 2018 and the new 2019 AE. I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. Adobe please fix so we can alter multiple text layers at once and have an accurate preview of the font used in character panel.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Alphabetical Ordering of Items in Project Panel...

Underscores seem to mess up alphabetical ordering? See attached image.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow the preview thumbnail to be multisizes

A preview thumbnail that has the ability to be sized as big or small as you want.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support user-definable library functions for expressions

As a software developer turned VFX artist, my first thought when I discovered expressions was how much copy-and-paste one has to do to create any serious composition. And, as any software developer knows, copy-and-paste creates a great maintenance nightmare, and this is exactly what I found to be the case with complex After Effects compositions.

The thing that would improve on this current nightmare is if it was possible to write code, as in functions, independent of a layer that could then be called from any composition. This would solve most of the maintenance issues with After Effects and expressions.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Switch stroke and fill color

Implement like Adobe Illustrator a switch functionality (button) to switch the color of a shape with its color of the stroke and vice versa.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Crop comp to layers bounds

Add the ability to crop a composition to its layer bounds. Useful for when you pre-comp and don't want to inherit the original comp bounds, but use the layer bounds instead.

Alternatively, add a pre-comp dialogue option to crop to layer bounds when creating a pre-comp.

Similar to what this script does:
    https://aescripts.com/auto-crop/

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. In curves the alpha curve is hardly visible

So as the interface is dark and the alpha curve is dark it can be hardly visible make it purple or give it an outline

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add colors to whole tabs in the Timeline panel

I would like to be able to assign different colors to tabs in the timeline panel, where you switch between comps. This would be separate from the square label group color icon, and used to easily keep track of for example Export comps, work comps etc.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Keep multiple timeline windows exactly where I left them when I reopen a project

Make each project remember how I had timelines and windows arranged so it opens EXACTLY as it was when I last used that project. I arrange things differently with some projects and saving a workspace DOES NOT keep my timeline windows arranged in order nor remember that multiple timeline windows were open. I often leave small pre-comps in the default location under the Composition window and open a separate Timeline window for large comps in a second monitor so I can open things up and see all the layers. These setups are NEVER remembered and it gets annoying to re-order…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. workspace resizing

Add a "fit to screen" or something similar to the window menu or adopt the Premiere Pro way of handling workspaces.
    I need to be able to do the same thing as a double click on the top bar on mac, as when i switch between home and office setup with my mac pro i often have the software 90% of screen to one side or another.

As I write this, i CANNOT use the software because the top third of the app is off screen so i don't have access to any of the tools, layers selection etc. Workaround…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Expression Keys

Similar to "Label Colors for Keys" suggestion, with the added functionality of triggering expressions.

Create a keyframe
    Right-Mouse Click the keyframe and select Scripted Key
    Write parameter specific script in pop up script panel
    Scripted key is red with an "E" or "S" on it and triggers expression when playback head hits it.
    You could also select script range, and bar is created that indicate the start and end of the script.
    No expression controls need.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base