After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Outside canvas view

I'd like a way to see objects which are placed outside the canvas. (Outside the dimensions of the composition) Off stage. Like in Animate or Illustrator.

That would be so handy for me, animating stuff which come sliding in/out of view.

8 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Duplicated Render Queue Item on User Stopped to Retain Original In / Out Points

I suggest changing the behavior of how the render queue item duplicates on a failed render.

Currently, when you stop a render, and it duplicates the job in the render queue, the starting point is defined as the frame it was quit on which is pretty much never the case when user stopped.

I believe a better behavior would be:

if user stopped = duplicate render job and keep in / out points

BUT

if render fail = continue from last successful frame

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Essential graphics panel - Faster workflows through smarter property naming, copy/pasting properties and twirl down/folder organization

Right now when you add in a property from an expression control like a slider, it just shows up as "Slider" in the panel even if you've named the effect. It would save me a ton of time if you just took the name of the effect instead of just giving it a generic title like "Checkbox" or "Slider". I keep having to rename things in the EG panel that I've already taken the time to name properly in my project.

If you won't do that, please at very least add the ability to quickly tab between the names of…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fluid Interface Improvements

It's 2018 and everyone by this point is used to fluid smartphone interfaces that run at 30-60FPS and yet After Effects (and most of the adobe suite) can't scroll through layers at anything about 10 FPS to save it's life.

Try to scroll through a comp with 100+ layers and watch as the FPS of the panel drops to about 3FPS. I'm not sure why this is such a hard problem to fix.

The "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, And Footage Panels" checkbox doesn't seem to help at all and sometimes even makes the problem work.

Other fluidity improvements:
    - It…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. mask feather path to be separated from mask path

feather must beanimatable over time as well as main mask math
    as well as mask mast have it's own position controls for offset rotation skew etc to be able to link it to nulls and meanwhile make adjustments to the mask path!

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Track Matte (alpha/luminance) on multiple layers

Preferably I would love Groups to do this (being able to add multiple layers to a group thats affected byt he same adjustment or alpha layer), the same way as Photoshop. But being able to select that multiple layers track matte from one source is something I miss a LOT of times and have to find ways to work around the limitations of the program.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show Keyframe connection

This interface tweak is as usefull as it is simple. Even before implementing a label colors for keyframes I think this one will be a massive improvement for clarifying the timeline when you have a lot of keyframe.

An image :
    https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52829097e4b043b800eeef8c/t/55f77bafe4b084d89b9c3424/1442282417145/Keyframe-Connections-1?format=1000w

Suggested by :
    http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/keyframes#connection

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Shortcuts to go to next/previous comp markers

J and K work for layer markers, not comp markers

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Update the Project Panel

The project window needs updating.
    1. At very least Resizable Thumbnail - Tiny on a 4k Monitor
    2. Add scalable Thumbnails as per premiere.

3. Add Multiple Bins/Project windows ( Call them bins for consistency )

4. All the column info could be in separate panel ( think Exif data panel in Lightroom )

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Just for fun. Or for some analytics. How about add some statistics to project?

It's very interesting sometimes to know how giant you project.
    Like in MS Word, you can see quantity of pages, lines, words, characters.
    Add entry to File menu "Project statistics", and it's shows something like:

You project contain 32 comps,
    64 solids, 98 sequences, 32 images,
    512 layers,
    128 expressions,
    8192 key frames.
    ... effects
    ... texts
    ... shapes.

I interested in key frames number especially, really wanna know how much key frames in my large and old fifty MB project.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Move protected areas inside mogrt

I love the way responsive time has been implemented inside after effects. It's efficient and practical. Especially since, in Premiere Pro, I cannot visualize the protected areas.

But one thing I'm missing in Ae would be the ability to drag the protected areas around so that I could sync a transition to the right keyframe/image/sound.

I built a small prototype in Xd, but the auto-animations don't work yet on the web. So you've got a video too :)

https://xd.adobe.com/view/655b20d0-0f78-4f01-545e-8a42f1312d48-136a/

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Selecting multiple text layers does not

When selecting multiple text layers, the character panel does not accurately display font used and will sometimes display the last font used. Also, selecting multiple text layers to change font on all layers doesn't always work. This is true for 2018 and the new 2019 AE. I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. Adobe please fix so we can alter multiple text layers at once and have an accurate preview of the font used in character panel.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Alphabetical Ordering of Items in Project Panel...

Underscores seem to mess up alphabetical ordering? See attached image.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Timeline layers should not jump downwards after a bottom layer is twirled closed

This is problematic behavior, because it makes it very easy to lose your place.
    Instead, keep the blank space that appears at the bottom:
    https://i.imgur.com/Zu5gary.png
    Don't automatically shift all the layers downwards! Allow the user to scroll up manually (which will move all the layers down.)

Perhaps not everyone will like it this way, (and those people are crazy) so perhaps this should be a preference. Everyone's happy!

If that made no sense, fear not! I have a video: https://youtu.be/9giCThQxcqE

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow the preview thumbnail to be multisizes

A preview thumbnail that has the ability to be sized as big or small as you want.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support user-definable library functions for expressions

As a software developer turned VFX artist, my first thought when I discovered expressions was how much copy-and-paste one has to do to create any serious composition. And, as any software developer knows, copy-and-paste creates a great maintenance nightmare, and this is exactly what I found to be the case with complex After Effects compositions.

The thing that would improve on this current nightmare is if it was possible to write code, as in functions, independent of a layer that could then be called from any composition. This would solve most of the maintenance issues with After Effects and expressions.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Switch stroke and fill color

Implement like Adobe Illustrator a switch functionality (button) to switch the color of a shape with its color of the stroke and vice versa.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please add customization options for UI fonts

If possible, it would very helpful if users could customize the fonts in the user interface, especially the timeline left panel and Project window, and maybe make the tool bar icons a little bigger. For people using a 4K monitor with a very high DPI, the fonts become too spindly to read very easily. I wish there was the option to make the fonts a little bolder in the UI. Thank you!

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. In curves the alpha curve is hardly visible

So as the interface is dark and the alpha curve is dark it can be hardly visible make it purple or give it an outline

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add colors to whole tabs in the Timeline panel

I would like to be able to assign different colors to tabs in the timeline panel, where you switch between comps. This would be separate from the square label group color icon, and used to easily keep track of for example Export comps, work comps etc.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base