After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the timeline smooth!

After Effects lags when displaying many keyframes in the timeline.

When I open a comp with a lot of keyframes (and I mean A LOT of keyframes), the timeline gets really laggy. When I zoom in so that the timeline shows only a few keyframes, it's not lagging at all.

This problem is also present with Refresh Disabled, so this has nothing to do with the visual output; it's After Effects having trouble with merely displaying many keyframes.

This is really slowing down my workflow; constantly have to zoom in or collapse other layers to prevent having to animate in…

11 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove keybind restrictions

Certain custom keyboard shortcuts cannot be customized. For example, I want to remap the Selection tool to the "A" key. After Effects does not allow this to happen.

I am able to make this change in Premiere Pro and Photoshop, and would appreciate if the same can be done in After Effects by removing these restrictions.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Shortcuts to go to next/previous comp markers

J and K work for layer markers, not comp markers

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Give us 75% zoom level

This was similar requested many times.

Let's keep it easy for the beginning - not asking for

• dynamic zoom like in Illustrator

• or finer zoom control

JUST add 75% zoom level.

50% is so small, 100% cuts of the edges. 75% would be such a pleasure to work with!

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Seperate dropdown menu for 3rd party scripts

This may seem stupid, but I have quite a few 3rd party scripts now, too many to have open and docked at the same time.

Because they are listed underneath everything else in the 'Window' dropdown, it's slow and annoying having to scroll down. I think it would be cool to have a seperate dropdown near the top, much like extensions has. An added bonus would be to limit it to around 14 per row, so it stacks sideways. See attached mockup..

Basically I am too lazy to scroll.

Thanks

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add an icon toggle for Parenting&Link in timeline view please

How would you like the feature to work?
    There are currently 3 icon toggles in the lower lefthand corner of the Timeline panel -
    1-Layer switches
    2-Transfer Controls pane
    3-Timestretch
    Please, please, please add a 4th icon/toggle for Parenting

Why is this feature important to you?
    Parenting is used more far than Timestreching and yet its not included in the toggle icons below.
    This continues to make no sense especially now that you've added Linking in the panel.
    Parenting is also the panel most would open to use quickly and then collapse to save space.
    Come on guys. This is…

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Shortcuts to twirl and untwirl layers

As explained in this video from 2:26 to 5:00
    https://youtu.be/5UOfQc1TKaY?t=123

We need THREE shortcuts in total:
    1. Twirl DOWN the current layer under the cursor
    2. Twirl UP the current layer under the cursor
    (For both of those, you should be able to simply hold the key down while moving the cursor across the timeline, instantly closing all layers the cursor touches.)

1. TOGGLE the twirl status of the timeline layer under the cursor.
      (This shortcut would probably need to be pressed each time it is used.) It is extremely important that this NOT be the only shortcut for twirling. We…
    10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 3D grid option for custom camera view, like in C4D

Sometimes in can be hard to orient yourself in 3D space when using the custom camera view in after effects. It would be great to have a 3D grid option on the XZ plane like in Cinema 4D for spatial reference.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Give updates and timelines to features users have been asking for

Little to no updates have been given from the Adobe team with any timelines to features specific to multiprocessing, and other features.

Example here from 2016, TWO YEARS AGO: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8584330#8584330

"we're investigating what the best solution is for future versions" - What have you found out?

Is there any update as to when we might get a real response from you?

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Include all Shape Layer contents to Flowchart

Twirl twirl twirl... Navigating all the components that can potentially live in a single shape layer is excruciating. Add all Shape Layer contents to the flowchart so we can get a bird's eye view of what's what and easily select components from there.

Mock up: https://twitter.com/demafleez/status/721068185374490624

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. copy and paste groups of markers

For instance: Copy markes from audio cues to the comp. Bonus Points for moving an group of markers.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Composition = Folder

It would be great if I could expand a composition on the timeline like you can do it with folder in photoshop.

This way I could view all layers and keyframes directly from a parent comp without having to switch between comps.

Adobe, please add that feature! It would be a huuuuge time saver and workflow optimization.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make Paragraph panel to not open when working with text layers if it closed

I use custom script to work with paragraphs, and when i working with text layers Paragraph panel ALWAYS opens even if it undocked and closed. If it can't be hidden why it's have closed button then? And why custom workspace don't save that information (hidden Paragraph panel)

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. History Panel

A history panel that can be docked.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Waveform Time Overlay

"Toggle Timeline Waveform Overlay" button next to the Graph Editor button on the timeline bar. I've attached a mockup, but out would basically overlay a compositions audio into the Time Ruler bar for key framing without having a moving layer (this sucks). See attached.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. mask feather path to be separated from mask path

feather must beanimatable over time as well as main mask math
    as well as mask mast have it's own position controls for offset rotation skew etc to be able to link it to nulls and meanwhile make adjustments to the mask path!

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Editing multiple master properties

When I have multiple master comps of the same kind in a composition, they all have the same master properties. But I can't copy and paste keyframes between them, like I can with other properties.

Workflow when editing the same master property on multiple layers should also work like normal properties.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bug Report: After Effects 15.1 Black vertical lines when scrubbing timeline / Windows 10 / UI Scaling other than 100%

On Windows 10, using AE v 15.1.0 and nVidia Driver v 391.35. Have UI scaling set to 125% (have tried custom as well) on a 3840x2160 monitor resolution. Any scaling other than 100% causes this issue. Black vertical lines appear on the timeline layers when scrubbing. When you stop they go away usually. There is also a slight shift of 1px probably, and a strange minor blurring of the timeline layers while scrubbing. If set to 100% UI scaling, all issues are gone.

This was not an issue with the previous version of AE.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Request to change bit-depth nomenclature in the Output Module.

"Millions of Colors+" is so 90's. It's now 2018 and people understand bit-depths much better. It's time to use more professional terms like "16-bit", "32-bit float" and so on.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Improve multi window support

Make the new windows have the default window controls like maximize and minimise and let them appear as different tabs in the task bar aswell.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base