After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Lock a composition's Work Area

My animation team as well as myself, have been begging for this feature for a really long time. We are constantly, accidentally clicking on our Work-Area bar, offsetting a couple of frames on a few occasions, and then sending for render, only to discover our opening fade in is half-way through it's transition, or our end is now too long and we have content disappearing.

We desperately would like to have the ability to right click on the work-area bar and select "lock". This would maybe put some strikethroughs over the range, similar to a locked layer in Premiere, do…

32 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. String Expression Control

Not to be confused with the similar "Text expression control".

I just want an expression control that is a string.

Currently whenever we want to use a string like this we have to shove it into a textlayer and then it's textLayer.text.value.text or something because a textLayer value is a textDocument which has all the text attributes and whatnot

I just want a string. A simple character array.

Would simplify this textlayer workflow massively.

it doesn't even have to be editable in the effects panel (IMO, though I'm sure people would ask for it eventually)

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Align to Key Object

The same function that Illustrator has would be amazing. Select two objects, click on the key object then hit align centre.

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Scroll option for all drop down menus

Just as fonts now, blending modes in Photoshop.

Ability to scroll blending modes, effect parameters and other drop down menus with mouse wheel.

Thanks

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stand alone graph editor window

Undock the graph editor button from the timeline window and allow it to be a stand alone window in the workspace. Tired of clicking back and forth, back and forth...all day long

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Text expression control

I'd love to see a "Text control" option for expression effects, where it would add a blank text box in the effects panel that a user could enter text in to be used in expressions, along with properties for text layers for things like font, alignment, leading, etc. that could be controlled via scripting.

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bezier Paths: change handle size on mouse over (like puppet pins do in 15.1)

When there are a lot of paths/shapes on a layer, with vertices very close to each other, it's always difficult to select one precise point/handle.

Having a visual feedback BEFORE the click to select the points (and tangents handles) would help a lot their selection.

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Option to hide guide layers when previewing

Sometimes, we only need guide layers when working in the comp, but not when previewing.
    A "hide guide layers" option in the preview panel would be very useful.

Also, an option to always hide guide layers from video feedback with mercury transmit would be logical, as what I want to see on the video control is the final image.

With an animation workflow using controllers which are guide layers, those two options would enable to check the animation without seeing the controllers, but having them to manipulate stuff when actually animating

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Show keyframe velocity in Timeline

Everythink that can allow me to not go in the graph editor is a must have. I use a lot the duik script to tweak the velocity without going inside the graph editor.

This small feature was suggested by sandervandijk.

http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/keyframes#velocity-in-timeline

One of the most used features is the "Keyframe Velocity" window. It shows the amount of easing that comes in—and goes out of a Keyframe. This is valuable information to know but right now it's hidden in the "Keyframe Velocity" window.

It'd make a huge difference to get better access to this information—especially directly in the Timeline ( right…

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Colorama color panel update please !?!?!?

Colorama is so powerful; but the color picker suck.
    Just use the same picker as the rest of the Program, PLEASE.

Why this color picker from the 80's, for a such a great effect?

Also, we should be able to see live update in the composition panel

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Change multiple compositions settings

Allow us to invoke the Composition Settings dialogue when multiple comps are selected in the Project Panel, and apply changes to all of them at once.

Parameters that have different values are denoted with a dash. For e.g. if you have selected 2 comps, 1 with Frame Rate set to 25, and one set to 30, the value shown is -

That value is still editable and the resulting change will set both comps to the new value.

If the value is left untouched, both comps will retain their individual settings.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Preserve UI Layouts

One of the bigger frustrations I have with AE comes up when I open a project created by someone else, and the AE UI converts to THAT person's layout. I can think of 0 instances in which that would be of any use.

I know I can go to Window->Workspace and call my saved layout back up, but why should I have to? Please change this behavior.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Toggle Show / Hide layer markers

Having a toggle Show/Hide layer markers would be great. To hide (and show) a cluttered layer marker timeline.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support for 125% text scaling in Windows 10

Having upgraded from 1080p to 1440p monitors, the recommended text scaling for windows (125%) causes After Effects to render its UI text blurred/fuzzy. This is a big drawback having invested in better monitors, as the alternative is going back to 100% text scaling, which is incredibly small on my displays.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Visual project overview - Replace flowchart panel with larger version of the mini-flowchart

Explanation of how this works: https://vimeo.com/137325297

Should be as simple as introducing the ability to set default settings for the flowchart panel

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Move/Nudge by 1 full pixel at any zoom level (as a preference option)

Instead of moving half a pixel at 200% zoom level, 1/4 at 400%, etc. Have the option to always move 1 full pixel. A lot of people are animating interfaces these days and you just want to make things pixel perfect. The current work flow is horrible with always zooming back to 100% or drag the postion values to move elements.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Shortcuts to go to next/previous comp markers

J and K work for layer markers, not comp markers

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make expressions independent from app language

Since effects have different names in different languages (eg "slider control") expressions often throw errors if they were created on an installation with a different language than your own installation.

As an example:
    Expressions I once created when I had AE set to German threw a bunch of errors when I loaded the project up after I changed the language to English, because the effect "slider control" is named differently in German.

This should not happen ... expressions should always work no matter the set language

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Dual-monitor setup now needs extra click when switching windows in 2020

I am on AE 2020 on Mac OSX 10.13.6.
    I have a dual screen setup where my composition is on one monitor and my timeline is on another monitor. If I select a tool (like the mask tool) on the timeline monitor, I have to first click to 'activate' the composition window on the second monitor, and THEN start drawing a mask. I shouldn't need an extra click unless my switching between different software.

I want there to not be a extra click to activate different parts of the same program. It messes up my work, when I don't realize…

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base