After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Align Layers to shortcuts

every Button and action should have a possible shortcut. For example, there is no possibility to manually do this for "Align Layers to".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Always select open comp on Essencials panel

Setup Essencial's panel so it is always on the comp we are working at the moment.
    Because if I am on COMP01 and add a property to it's essencial's panel, then go to COMP02 and try to do the same, it adds it to the essencial's panel of COMP_01, and automatically gives you a error.

I'd like to have the essencial's panel always synced with the composition I'm currently working on, instead of aways having to go to the dropdown menu and select close "COMP_01" all the time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please bring back features

Please bring back features like "select single view" in viewer settings. It is crucial for those, who are working with 2D animations on small screens and need more screen estate. I've uninstalled version 18.0 and using older v17 until the feature returns. Thank you!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Tomas,

Can you please explain further which option you’re missing? There were a few changes made in After Effects 18.0 that you might be referring to, and I think there might be a translation problem.

In After Effects 18.0, the toolbar in the Composition pane was updated to reduce clutter and improve 3D workflows. Details are here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/user-guide.html/after-effects/using/whats-new/2021-2.ug.html#ImprovedCompositionToolbar

One thing that was changed is that 3D controls now only appear if you have a 3D layer in the comp. We’ve heard from a number of folks that the View Layout menu (selecting 1/2/4 views), which is part fo the 3D controls, is being missed. In the latest releases of After Effects Beta, which you can install via the Creative Cloud app, the View Layout controls are now also accessible via the View menu; you can access these options at any time without a 3D layer being present. Please try…

4. Import and save window appears behind main window. Version 18.0

The Import and save window appears behind main window. Version 18.0
    need to shuffle main window to the side to click the import or render or save window that would normal pop up on top of main window instead of behind.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. bug on 5120x2160 display / not showing color profile options lidt on screen

bug.
    dropdown lists eg. color profiles not working on main GUI 5120x2160
    have to drag onto standard density 1920x1200 monitor to select

latest nvidia studio drivers, 1070Ti

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Expression editor won't scroll all the way up to top if it was initially cut off at top by TL window

When clicking on an expression to enter the expression editor, the expected behavior is that even if the expression is too long to fit entirely in the timeline window, the editor will allow the user to scroll to any part of the expression.

However, in cases where the top of the expression is cropped by the top of the timeline window when I initially click to enter the expression editor, the editor refuses to scroll all the way to the top lines, instead behaving as if I have already reached the top (it does the "bounce back" motion while there…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add a dark mode for both the menu and the title bar [Windows 10]

While (on Windows 10) there is a workaround for the title bar, this is a) not exactly optimal and b) does NOT encompass the menu bar.

This has been requested by lots of After Effects users in various forums, so let's make it official and finally get this feature out.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. accessibility features

I would like to see a more Accessibility friendly user interface in all of the Adobe apps. As a recent member to the visually impaired community, I now struggle with the Adobe applications that I have been using for over 2 decades. There needs to be a high contrast mode or modes to the UI. ie, white on black. As well, a scalable UI and font sizes would be great.

Finally, making sure that ALL text elements in the UI, menus, tools etc. can be read by a text to speech engine would go a long way.

thanks.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. About the selection of the keyframes of the path

I would like the keyframes of the path (position) to be selectable as Vertex mask. When a vertex is selected, other vertices can be selected by drawing a frame. With position points, you can only do this one at a time by pressing shift. If there is a stop in the path, you can't do it because the other keyframe is behind the first. OK, for the last 25 years we've always done this by selecting the keyframes in the Timeline panel. It's not a big deal, but I would like to see the path selection in the Viewer improved.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Text colour not matching setting in character panel

When importing a special character for the Symbola font from Illustrator to AE, trying to recolour it leads to a complete mess. As can be seen in the linked video, the standard text (top line) behaves as expected, but the special characters (bottom line) lead to characters being recoloured further along the row – even though, according to the character panel, those characters are still black. This means these characters are totally unusable in AE short of using a Fill effect and masking areas out to be recoloured, which is highly detrimental to the workflow.

https://youtu.be/q7B1srj88ME

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Alt Drag to copy Gradient Knots

Just as expected - Alt Drag should copy anything.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Effects should remain collapsed when copying/duplicating layers

This has frustrated me for years. I put a lot of effort into making things tidy for my template users, like collapsing large quantities of effects or controls in the Effect Controls panel. But when those layers are duplicated, copied and pasted, or when the comp is duplicated, all the effects on those layer expand, making it hard for them to find the effect they're looking for.

I have also noticed that the collapse-state of effects is saved with inconsistent results when opening the project in a later version of AE. Some of those effects will be collapsed, and some…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. expression access to Media Replacement Source - Aware

The end user of a MoGRT would benefit if one could detect whether the Media has been REPLACED (this is handy for multiple media inputs where you potentially could replace some and the MoGRT would gie you the oportunity to choose how many of its inputs for Media are used) and by returning that data the MoGRT developer could set up it so the animation would change accordinally to the amount of inputs replaced.

Right now I have a slider that you have to manually set up each time to tell the MoGRT engine how many are of the inputs…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Save Users Workspace Layout Within Adobe Account

The idea of this concept is that users can save their workspace layout within After Effects and save it within their Adobe account / Cloud.

This way, the user can recall their workspace layout when they update and upgrade the software. So users wouldn't need to manually restack the interface each time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. font management like in InDesign (list all used, bulk replace, copy with project consolidation)

I love the way fonts are handled in InDesign. It's almost like footage!
    You can list all fonts that are used in the project.
    You can replace a font for all instances in the project at once. For example if you don't have it, or if the corporate design guidelines change.
    When you package a project to send it to someone else, fonts are copied into a folder to go with it.

All this functionality would be very welcome for motion graphic design in After Effects!

AE doesn't do any of that, it just tells me which are missing without…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Zoom Bounding Box Bag

Bounding box do not match shape boundaries.
    And when I zoom and use Hand Tool - shape boundaries "jump".
    How can I fix that?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Closing one of two (or more) composition panels should make your other composition panels larger.

Currently when you have two more composition panels open (i.e. one is locked and you are making changes in a precomp and looking at the effects of that change in a different comp), the default behavior when you close one of those composition panels is to collapse any surrounding panels inward, leaving the other composition panels the same size.

This is annoying, because rarely do you want the effect control panel or your plug-in panel to expand. What you usually want is for the other composition panel to take up the space where the two were.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Queue in AME needs to know you've queued to AME!

Ok, so here's the thing. I have occasion to produce differing versions of graphics on a weekly basis for a regular client. These are all produced in in AE and need outputting as MP4, so my workflow is to make the changes, select the 3 comps that need rendering, add to the render queue then hit Queue in AME. So far, so good. EXCEPT that if I haven't already loaded up AME there's no real signal that you actually DID queue them until AME loads up (you know, 40 years later). More than once, I have to think "did I…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. BUG - Project Panel reset items position

Every time I do CTRL-C (copy) on a layers in composition panel all items in Project panel resets its position. Often I work on dozens of Compositions and need to go through some and copy some layers from one to other after I hit CTRL-C I have to scroll Project panel to look for my destination composition despite of that it was just in place where I left Project panel before pressing CTRL-C in composition. Its just annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Popup menu items for layer trimming

Contextual menu items for trimming layers: trim to layer above, below, comp length, work area, etc. For mattes, motion tracks, shape layers, 3d render passes, etc, it would great to be able to do basic in/out operations on layers or groups of layers without having to move the playhead around in the timeline, pan, zoom, etc. Just right-clicking a layer or a shortcut to snap it to some points would be great. Does this exist and I just don't know about it? Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base