After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keep "Convert to Editable Text" on 2 clicks

Please take back "Convert to Editable Text" to 2 clicks by not putting it on a submenu, for faster workflow.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Many Character Panel font previews rendering using system font

For the last few versions of After Effects (I joined CC in Nov 2017) I don't remember the font sample previews ever working properly. Some fonts do show previews. but many are missing.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or is this a bug? Is it possible to flush the preview cache and force a recompute?

I'm on Windows 7 x64 Pro, with AE CC 2018 (15.1.2 Build 69)

I have quite a few fonts on my system (1000+) but Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign CC have no problem generating font previews correctly.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show Peak Audio Value in Audio Panel

Like other apps, show a bar indicating the peak audio level during playback. Just a bar indicating where the highest volume point was. Bonus points if this can also be displayed as a numerical value.

Requesting because delivery specifications of a comp can vary from medium to medium and I'd like to be able to adjust the volume within AE rather than exporting separate audio tracks at multiple volume levels from another app.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Keyboard Shortcuts editor doesn't list all scripts

I have 25 scripts in the Scripts folder (and a billion more in ScriptUI...) which I'm trying to assign shortcuts in the new shortcuts editor, but the editor is only listing the first 17 (alphabetically).

This was working fine for me a week ago and suddenly stopped. Relaunching/rebooting doesn't fix it. The shortcuts that I had assigned when it was working (and which are still listed), are assigned to other scripts.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Workspace dissapeared

I created a simple character in illustrator and imported it into my after effects project file. The character used some rigging, but this was by no means an advanced animation. I created two solids (below the character layers) and on one I tried to add Fractal Noise, but after doing that I am no longer able to see my workspace. I have attached a screenshot for reference. You will see in my second screenshot that I am able to select the elements that are in the composition, they just are not visible.

This must have corrupted my file in some…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Stop hiding the project window

Please stop hiding the project window every time I click away. This did not happen in previous versions of AE, and is clearly a complete waste of the user's time to have to re-call this window constantly.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix interruptive save behaviour

Under Windows 10, if one double-clicks an After Effects project in File Explorer, that file is correctly highlighted as the selected file as After Effects opens the project and the user works on it. However, once After Effects saves, the highlighted file is no longer highlighted in File Explorer, in fact, no file is highlighted. The effect of this is that the behaviour interrupts the workflow, especially when working on a set of files that each must be systematically verified and possibly modified.

Any other software would not affect the highlighted file in File Explorer when saving, but After Effects…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Dynamic Magnification (variable zoom %) in Composition window

Adobe, we need more choices between 33.3%, 50%, 100%, 200%...

Users should be able to zoom the image in the Composition window to values between the major presets. Extra points if this function uses scroll wheel, keyboard shortcut &/or touch gestures!

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Shortcut to create tracking point at location of OnClick

Shortcut to create tracking point where clicked. example: cntrl + alt + click = new tracking point created at location of click

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Frame forward / backward via modifier + scrollwheel

Ability to frame forward / backward by shift + scrollwheeling.

This is not possible to set up with the keyboard shortcuts editor.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. make "Create VR Environment" window dockable

Please make the new Create VR Environment window a dockable tab.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. AE CC 2018(12.1.1): media browser doesn't save the favorites

What a great implementation, congratulation for the developers! What is the meaning of this? Useless feature!!!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bug: Keyframes disappear in video files with >3hr timecodes

Bug description: When adding keyframes to a layer using a video file which is over three hours in length, any keyframes added past 2:59:59:29 are not rendered in the Timeline panel, regardless of when the video file is placed in the Composition. Keyframes still function but are not visible or selectable with the cursor.

Reproduced on both Mac OS and Windows, 15.1.0.

It appears linked to the maximum composition length After Effects has of three hours? This seems arbitrary now it's a purely 64-bit application, and Premiere can cope with 24-hour timelines with larger timecodes?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make expression text remain the same size, regardless of whether or not is is "Active"

When clicking on the expression text to make it active, the font size changes which shifts the text around. Once this happens, I again have to find the part I was trying to click on in the first place. The more text there is, the worse this problem becomes.

This also isn't specific to expression text; the same issues occur when renaming layers, as well as just about any other UI element that allows you to edit text.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Long words disappear

When typing very long words using a paragraph text, at some point (after a certain amount of characters), the text just disappears completely. Especially when using text to create walls of numbers or something (not using expressions to maintain the control) this gets very annoying. This bug has been filed 2010 already and is still present.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Shortcut save/load backup/restore

What is the meaning of "Save as" and "Copy to Clipboard" functions on Keyboard Shortcut dialog if you can't restore the saved setting if you reinstall the app???

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Preview Resolution options above the composition resolution

Importing vector assets into AE can sometimes lead to arbitrary and sometimes very low resolution precomps that you have to animate within unless you want to go to the effort of resizing things in both precomp and master compositions. This resizing doesnt do anything objectively since its all vectors, it'l all shake out fine in the end.

But during the production it is a pain to either animate in very low resolution compositions or to go to the effort to resize things.

The option to just set the preview resolution above the compositions actual resolution, in the same way you…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. In curves the alpha curve is hardly visible

So as the interface is dark and the alpha curve is dark it can be hardly visible make it purple or give it an outline

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Fast Previews/Adaptive Resolution button in Layer panels

The only way to change the fast preview/adaptive resolution setting is in the composition panel. I'll often work in a Layer panel instead (faster than soloing layers) and then have to switch back to the comp viewer to change Fast Previews to Off and then switch back.

Most of the toggles/settings are duplicated in both panels, would be nice if Fast Previews was, too.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base