After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ability to scale the duration of a subcomp by dragging the end like any layer in main comp

ability to scale the duration of a subcomp by dragging the end like any other layer in main comp

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Save Dialog Box on Mac no longer accepts keyboard shortcut for "New Folder"

When saving either a project or render item location, the save dialog box on Mac will no longer accept the CMD-Shift-N keyboard shortcut to create a new folder. The button to create a new folder still works, so the functionality should be there.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Empty Tab Space

Sometimes a large, empty space will open up in the tab bar. It's not clickable and not associated with any of the tabs open. Closing and reopening all the tabs seems to help, but it's annoying because it takes up space and we shouldn't have to close everything only to have to reopen. Here's a screen grab showing the issue.

Marc

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. collapse all folders in project window

As in Cinema4D add a "Close all folders" "Open all folders" "Close selected folders" "Open selected folders" buttons or commands.

The "close all" in the project window kinda already exists. If you type in a few letters into the search bar then clear it all the folders collapse nicely. But would be nice to turn that bug into a feature button.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. UI Button for Audio Device Changing

The selection of audio hardware needs to become a UI interface element to simplify the process of changing devices.

As anyone has experienced not being able to playback the timeline because their Bluetooth earphones have died knows its a slow and very frustrating process to have to go into preferences and then audio hardware and change to default audio device just to be able to run the timeline again.

Hopefully windows and after effects will eventually be able to handoff to another device more automatically in the future but in the meantime a UI driopdown selection or Shortcut would way…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Why "Replace Footage / With Layered Comp" only works on one footage at a time ?

In addition there is a bug: impossible to assign a shortcut to this command.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Stop After Effects (and other Adobe apps) Focus Stealing on Windows

When triggering any process that requires some time to calculate in After Effects, After Effects jumps into the OS foreground the moment it completes the process. This interrupts email typing mid-sentence, it interrupts drawing in other apps, and it's driving me mad. This happens on launch of AE and other Adobe apps too. Here's how it happens:

> Launch AE
    > Alt+Tab to Chrome and start replying to an email while AE loads.
    > Be mid-sentence and BAM! AE takes the focus.

OR

> Start Auto-Tracing a layer in AE
    > Dialogue indicates 55 seconds remaining
    > Make use of…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. [BUG] Panels Full Screen Multiple Screens Win10 Border

Hopefully somebody will fix this sometime...

I use AE on three screens. I have the main window on one screen and panels on the other screens.
    The panels are filled with tools and other AE windows.
    In order for an optimal space usage, I fullscreen'd the panels (CTRL + #).

Sadly, Windows 10 adds a border to every window and this border shows up on next screen sometimes.
    If I work on the edge of the screen, I easily click on the border, causing AE so leave the full-screen mode on this panel.
    AE leaves this mode, because I accidental…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Application icons are now inherently confusing to students

This isn't specific to After Effects, but all of the new purple icons in CC. I have students that rely on visual recognition to identify the various applications in the dock (and since the machines are locked, this can't be modified). Now that Adobe has decided to make every application icon look identical in the latest CC2020 update, I'm going to have spend time I could be using to teach the application, to showing them how to differentiate between all of the CC applications. This is idiotic, so please change it.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bug report: Cannot drag and drop files to project window

Adobe After Effects
    Version 17.5.0 (Build 40)

Bug report:
    When I drag and drop a file into the projects window, there is a bug. It states the following:
    "After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! {no current context}"

It is a minor bug, because it is not too annoying, but still unpractical.

The solution is to import the file via right-click/import file.

~Cheers

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fix expression editing within graph view

In both AE 17.0.0 and 17.0.2, I did not test it in 17.0.1. Using Win10 with a Ryzen 3700x and a GTX 1060 6gb

When editing or writing expressions while in the graph view mode, it is hit or miss whether or not the new code will be commited.

It was suggested by another user to use the 'enter' key on the numpad to commit changes, but this didn't work every time either, so it doesn't solve the problem.

When editing expressions in the normal layer view everything works and saves/updates as it should. You just type out the code…

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Expression controls - txt string box

Hello,

I would suggest a new feature in Expression controls.

My suggestion is to add a txt string box.

A Txt string box would be useful when you have several
    different Suffixed finishes.

Example: ["", "%", "€", "million €", "billion €", "000 €", "000 000 €", "$", "million $", "billion $ "," 000 $ "," 000 000 $ "," ₣ "," mil. ₣ "," billion ₣ "," ° C "].

I am currently writing them in arey.
    When you add a new entry you have to change the arey and the structure of the script.

It would be very easy…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Color Label in after effects

It would be very good to add the option "Display the project item name and label color for all instances" as in adobe premiere

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Rework import dialog

When importing .Ai files, After Effects comes up with a confusing dialog. (I'm used to it, but for new users it must be very confusing).

It gives 4 choices:

Import as
    Footage (just 1 file, flat, no layers)

Composition - retain Layer Size
    (a Composition with layers, all with their bounding box as layer size)

Composition
    (a Composition with layers, all with the size of the original Ai artboard)

Project (creating a Project Folder with all items in the active file system folder)

COMPOSITION

This confusion happens when Composition () is chosen:
    We can also checkmark…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Easy change menu languages, from english to every other language with one click

For years, thousands of people have urgently needed to switch functions between the languages ​​of the program interfaces.

Especially since the effects and specifications bar list makes no sense in the German translation and was apparently translated by the google automatic function.

It would be so easy if you set your two languages ​​that you want to use directly during installation.

You could then simply write in the effects and specifications list in one of the languages ​​and you could use it immediately.

Instead, one has to laboriously look for translations for
    the effects and specifications list. The pure horror.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Open precomps in tabs NEXT to the parent Comp.

Every time you double click a precomp inside a Comp, let it open in a TAB next to the parent comp.
    Also, mark the tab with a hint (can be inherited from the parent comp's label color) so you can quickly glance which comps are related on any level.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Pen Tool - Disable Auto Add Verts checkbox

Similar to Photoshop, having the ability to remove the automatic generation of Vertexes when clicking with the main pen tool.

If I need to add Vertexes, I will simply use the Add Vertex tool, why have the tool in the first place if the main tool circumvents it.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Keyboard shortcut for engaging with property sliders on Opacity, Position, Rotation etc.

Let's say you want to change the opacity of a layer. You press "T" and the opacity property drops down. Then you have to hover over the "100%" click it and then you can adjust the Opacity. It would be great if you could adjust these values more freely by simply pressing "T" and then "Enter" to engage with the text field of the opacity. This could work with any property. "P", "Enter" and then type the numbers you need. "S", "Enter", "57%".

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Full Screen Preview UI error

Watching RAM previews in full screen is great and something I use all the time. Except when I turn off the full screen preview After Effects has to reload the entire UI. I usually work with quite a bit of Comps open (maybe 30+). Each time after coming out of the full screen preview the UI becomes unresponsive and then loads up and opens all the comps again and then brings me back to my normal layout.

I know there are options to have mercury playback on a separate screen, which would most likely solve this problem - but you…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base