After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Diagonal Guides

It would be amazing to have a native way to make diagonal guides in the Composition Window. Perhaps if you click the corner of the Ruler and then have a way to enter/edit specific rotation angles?

14 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Solo mode on layers alert when rendering.

When starting a render queue item, there could be an alert popping up, or a sound cue if you have layers in solo mode, to avoid waiting until a finished render until you realize half your project is not rendering.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Scaling Interface Elements for Ease of Use/Accessibility

It is difficult to manipulate certain elements in Adobe Programs due to their small size.

A particular hindrance I have experienced in After Effects is trying to drag to extend a clipped section while there is a marker on that layer near where I am clicking. When I click and drag, AfterEffects will always assume that I am trying to move a marker - even if I have locked the markers on that layer.

I think that if I could make each of the rows to a height I specify, it would be able to manipulate the clip extension without…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Essential graphics panel - Faster workflows through smarter property naming, copy/pasting properties and twirl down/folder organization

Right now when you add in a property from an expression control like a slider, it just shows up as "Slider" in the panel even if you've named the effect. It would save me a ton of time if you just took the name of the effect instead of just giving it a generic title like "Checkbox" or "Slider". I keep having to rename things in the EG panel that I've already taken the time to name properly in my project.

If you won't do that, please at very least add the ability to quickly tab between the names of…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. mask feather path to be separated from mask path

feather must beanimatable over time as well as main mask math
    as well as mask mast have it's own position controls for offset rotation skew etc to be able to link it to nulls and meanwhile make adjustments to the mask path!

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Workspace remembers which columns are visible in the Timeline

I wish custom workspaces would save/load which columns are visible in the Timeline panel

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Switching comp should switch the Master comp drop down in Essential Graphics panel

When you work in the Essential Graphics panel and start to connect attributes from different comps and jumping back and forth between comps, the Master comp you select from the drop down in Essential Graphics panel should update to the comp you are currently viewing.

If you want to freeze the panel to add attributes to a Essential Graphics Master comp that you are currently not viewing add the little lock icon like we have in the comp-viewer, effects panel.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Maintain Windows 7 Compatibility for new features

For those of us in the real world that cannot simply migrate to windows 10 in the middle of multi-year projects, maintaining compatibility with windows 7 is critical. Even if Adobe insists on developing newer additions that are not back compatible, new features that are developed should also be added to After effects CC 2018 which I believe is the last version that is Windows 7 compatible. Otherwise our monthly subscription is receiving no additional value added.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. A separate transform property for each mask

Just additionaly to what we have, a transform property for every mask. This way if I have an animated mask, I'll be able to move, rotate or scale it without messing up the animation. Or we could finally track our masks to an object instead of the Mask tracking **** that we have now. How can anyone work with a mask if it has a keyframe at every frame???

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. A keyboard key for selecting vertices during masking, apart from LMB.

I've just been masking for 5 hours and my mouse hand is killing me. Not the palm or the wrist but fingers, from constantly pressing the LMB to select vertices, hold it for dragging etc. A couple of hours of constant pressing like that wears your hand out.
    So an idea came to my mind, it would be nice if during masking I could press a keyboard key to act in place of the LMB, ie. the 1 key. So now I just hover the cursor above a vertex, press and hold 1, move the vertex to a new position,…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Custom hotkeys for presets, effects, and scripts.

Add the ability to assign animation presets, effects, or scripts to custom keyboard shortcuts.

Currently the same result can be achieved by using VC FX Console and AutoHotkey. This would bring it all into AE making it easier to transfer preferences via CC.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Inaccurate Ruler Guides Bug

When zooming past 200% ruler guides become inaccurate. Issue has already been discussed here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2393250 but has not been fixed. Example: Working in a 1920x1080 comp, at 100-200% zoom ruler(pixels) shows the center of comp correctly(960px). Zooming to 400-800% ruler = 1000px. 1600%= 1200px. It may not be the issue, but bug seemed to arise after switching from 1920x1080 monitors to 2560x1440. Thank you.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Editing multiple master properties

When I have multiple master comps of the same kind in a composition, they all have the same master properties. But I can't copy and paste keyframes between them, like I can with other properties.

Workflow when editing the same master property on multiple layers should also work like normal properties.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ctrl+Alt+M not opening and sending to AME in CC18 on Win 10

I have to manually go to the dropdown "Composition" and select 'Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue'. The keystroke doesn't work. I've checked the shortcuts editor and it is assigned properly. The functionality is just gone.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Show the Merge Paths shape layer tool some love

The merge path tool for shape layers is inconsistent while on a shape layer with 3d turned on in the C4d renderer. While the Add mode always works, Merge and Intersections sometimes break, and Subtract and Exclude Intersections often break and sometimes (like right now) I can't get to work at all.

I started with type converted to shapes, and when that did't play nice, I built and outlined my type in AI, outlined it, cleaned it up, and brought it in with Overlord. When switching the layer to 3d, all the bowls in the letters filled in, but then…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. AE needs to communicate when it's trying to update the frame

AE will frequently show a blank comp window (upon opening a project), or not update the comp window and give no indication that its reading from disk or working to render the frame. If AE isn't showing me the actual current contents of my comp, I need AE to communicate that. I need to see a progress bar that says "Yes I know the comp window is blank, but i'm working on it." or "You're not seeing the text layer you just created because i'm still rendering it."

If you don't show me a progress bar while AE is updating…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Auto show a layer in timeline, when it's selected in the stage

It would be nice to show a layer in the timeline once you click it in the stage, so you wouldn't need to either scrub through the layers or press a property to get focus on that layer.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bug Report: After Effects 15.1 Black vertical lines when scrubbing timeline / Windows 10 / UI Scaling other than 100%

On Windows 10, using AE v 15.1.0 and nVidia Driver v 391.35. Have UI scaling set to 125% (have tried custom as well) on a 3840x2160 monitor resolution. Any scaling other than 100% causes this issue. Black vertical lines appear on the timeline layers when scrubbing. When you stop they go away usually. There is also a slight shift of 1px probably, and a strange minor blurring of the timeline layers while scrubbing. If set to 100% UI scaling, all issues are gone.

This was not an issue with the previous version of AE.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Pan Behind Tool - sliding multiple layers in timeline - BUG

Small bug. CC2018.

Using the pan behind tool to slide layers in the timeline without moving the keyframes. When trying to slide more than one layer at a time.

Multiple layers are selected using ctrl/cmd. layers will deselect themselves after they are dragged. Can't seem to find a common idea as to which layers seem to deselect themselves, but it appears to either be mostly the bottom most layer, or otherwise random ones.

Just means layers have to be selected again to drag once again.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bug: Scale keyboard shortcuts don't work correctly when one value is negative.

After Effects usually intelligently handles linked scale values when 1 value is negative and the other is positive (for e.g. -100, 100).

You can drag a parameter to proportionally scale the object. You can even type a value into one field, and the other will update accordingly (for e.g. changing 100 to 150, will make the other value -150).

However is you use the keyboard shortcuts, Ctrl + and Ctrl - (on the numpad), the values don't adjust correctly, and they cause the layer to become distorted.

For e.g.
    Pressing Ctrl + should bring (-100, 100) to (-101, 101), but…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base