After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. BUG with comment text wrapping in mogrt panel

mogrt created in Adobe AE 16.1.3
    used in Premiere 13.1.5

I have a comment inside of a group inside of a group. In Premiere, the text wrapping does not match the width of the Essential Graphics panel causing the right edge of text to get lost before creating a line break. Because the comment is in a 2nd layer, Premiere places the text in a darker box. The text in the comment is overflowing behind the right-side padding of the UI, rather than being bound by the darker, second layer group box.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. how about a keyboard button you can select to access the contents of the shapelayers?

You press a button on the keyboard, or maybe a double tap, I'm thinking cc, and then you see the contents of your shape layer.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Editing Dropdown Menus (use return/arrow keys)

The edit dialog for a dropdown menu could be vastly improved if you could hit enter and it goes to the next option, or using the down/up arrows instead of having to individually click on every one and change it. If that can't be done for some reason, at least leave just one option in the dropdown by default so I don't have to delete the text before I add a new option.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. fix LUTs issue when opening clips from Premier Pro into AE

when opening clips from Premier into AE, users must then re-apply the LUTs by selecting them from the LUTs folder for each clip, every time. This is annoying.. You ask us to create a common folder and put everything there instead of in the LUTs folders in AE ( which worked ), and this solution doesn't work for beans.. Yes, they are there if you create a new clip in AE, but when going between apps, AE doesn't automatically assign the LUT that was assigned in Premier from the common folder... this has been going on since you asked us…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Preserve UI Layouts

One of the bigger frustrations I have with AE comes up when I open a project created by someone else, and the AE UI converts to THAT person's layout. I can think of 0 instances in which that would be of any use.

I know I can go to Window->Workspace and call my saved layout back up, but why should I have to? Please change this behavior.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Window menu will NOT scroll

The window menu will NOT scroll up or down using the scroll wheel. I'm guessing this is a bug.

Clicking the small arrows in the top and bottom in the ONLY way I have found to advance the menu, and I can only scroll one item at a time via clicking. This is extremely slow.

I assumed this would be fixed in the latest update, but I was wrong. As of 17.0.2 (build 26), it's still there.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Remove keybind restrictions

Certain custom keyboard shortcuts cannot be customized. For example, I want to remap the Selection tool to the "A" key. After Effects does not allow this to happen.

I am able to make this change in Premiere Pro and Photoshop, and would appreciate if the same can be done in After Effects by removing these restrictions.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Display Render Progress in Windows Taskbar

I'd love for AE to hook into the "in progress" API of its taskbar icon, like Chrome does with its downloads, so I can see the progress of my render without having to click back into AE!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix the 'scroll through fonts with arrows' function for 2020 Please!!!

I know this has been implemented and seems to be an on again off again availability. It is really time consuming having to open Photoshop just to see what a different font looks like on the fly.
    Please fix!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Be able to shift select the master properties for deletion

In a recent project I used a script that created a lot of master properties(the great Duik script) I had a few problems so I needed to delete all the master properties created for a comp, I had to do this 1 by 1 :(. I wasn't able to shift select all the properties at once, I noticed that if they were grouped I could be able to delete all of them at once. I asked and it seems that the Dev of the script can't create a group and put all the created MPs via script. This would be…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Expression Console

Is there any way we can get a Chrome-like console for expressions? After a certain point, with a complex expression it becomes really hard to test for bugs as you have to basically run the same code on a text layer or some other property and rewrite the code just to get some sort of output for variables. Being able to have a console would be excellent (especially to inspect objects), but a great stopgap would be the ability to post a value to the info palette, like we can with scripting.

Expressions were already important, and with Master Properties…

99 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Open pre-comps as Folders / Groups in the timeline

Folders and groups are the same concept—as the already existing "Pre-comp". The thought behind the "Pre-comp" is to “group” a set of layers. Rather than reinventing the wheel and making After Effects more complicated with added new features like groups and folders, we can improve the functionality of the "Pre-comp".

Here is a demonstration of how that would work: https://vimeo.com/137312858

Suggested Shortcuts:

/ = Split Timeline to show pre-comp. Only works when comps are selected.

377 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Dropdown Menu Control should not reset Master Property references in other comps

Adding/Removing items in the Dropdown Menu (DDM) should not reset any keyframes or expressions in other comps when using Master Properties.

Likely, anyone using the DDM w/ MPs is doing some complex rigging, and having to start over from scratch if you need to add an option breaks almost any usefulness from being able to combine these awesome features!

A nice UX would be to ask if you wanted to reset any keyframe or expression data, or let you choose to leave it, and deal with any resulting consequences like expressions breaking, etc.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Flip Comp size

It would be nice, to have a button in the Compsettings,
    that switches the Composition Size from Landscape to Portrait.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Shape Layer Shortcuts

A shortcut for New Shape Layer, and another for the Create Mask/Create Shape switch while using shape tools on shape layers.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to pin chosen layers always at the top of timeline panel

Would be great to be able to choose whether a layer could always stay on top or not.

For example a camera. Every time I add layers the camera slowly goes down in the stack and I have every time to drag it on the top cos I need to see its keyframing obviously.

Same for Audio File. I know I can put Markers but in some cases I need to see the waveform as I am doing very specific timed animation.

Same for Guide layers. Why they don't stay always on top as I need those to guide my…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Save the state of the anchor point in comp settings

Currently you have to go to the Advanced Tab, set the anchorpoint, then go back to the General tab to change the dimensions of the comp. If you change the anchor and close the comp settings, it will revert back to center by default. This is unintuitive and can lead users to believe it doesn't do anything. The anchor point is only relevant when changing comp dimensions, so those two things should be associated.

Integrating the "scale comp" script functionality would be great, too. Allow for changing by percent, maintain aspect ratio, and a check box for "scale content" with…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Drag timeline like in Audition AND with hand tool

It would be great if one could use the hand tool in AE to drag the timeline, additionally to dragging the timeline like in Audition, where one only needs to hover the mouse over the timeline at the top, to drag the whole scene/track.

Ideally all three programs would have the same way of dragging the timeline instead of it being different/not possible in one or another.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Tracking widget does not obey display color management

Bug - Tracking widget does not show display colour management

Set working space to ACES (linear colour space).
    In the "View" menu turn on "Use display color management" to view the non-linear image.
    When you use the tracking tool and adjust the point tracker's widget, the image inside the widget is still displayed linear (= very dark) despite the set display color management. Setting a tracker point is very difficult.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make the Anchor Point Tool Work

I need to move an anchor point that is under the point of a shape.

I can't grab the anchor point because the tool also grabs the shape and I need the shape to stay where it is.

What about the anchor point tool--and this is gonna sound crazy--just grabs the anchor point?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base