After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. BRING BACK THE TIMELINE BUTTON!!!

When working with multiple windows, the timeline button is essential. Why Adobe decides to remove it without any workaround. What improvement?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix this! After effects 2021 can no longer read image sequences from network drives

in the latest AE 2021 when trying to read image sequences from a network drive I get this error. This works fine in AE 2020, or if I copy the same sequence to a local drive. Must be a bug, so I hope Adobe can fix this or provide a solution.

After Effects error: Can’t import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name.

( 39 :: 44 )

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/after-effects-error-can-t-import-as-a-sequence-found-no-matches-for-the-selected-file-name/m-p/10986538#M106354

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3D preferences keep resetting after restarting application

Every time I go to preferences to turn off 3D Camera Navigation Gizmos the checkbox is checked again the next time I restart After Effects. I'd rather keep the composition markers shortcuts on as my default. Changing my keyboard layout also does nothing as preferences seems to override keyboard layouts.

AE Version 18.2.0 (Build 37)
    Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2
    Intel Xeon X5670 Dual 2.93GHz Processors
    128GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX Titan X 12GB

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting this bug. I’m not experiencing this problem on my machine, so I’d like to explore this further with you. Can you please tell me:

What languages are your OS and After Effects are running in?

I’d like you to try resetting the preferences, and if that doesn’t solve the problem, I’d like to get copies of the preferences files in the before/after states. Please follow these instructions:

1. In After Effects, open Preferences > General. Click the Reveal Preferences in Explorer button at the bottom. This will open the folder where the preferences files are.
    2. Quit After Effects.
    3. In the preferences folder, navigate up one level. This will be the Adobe/After Effects folder and you’ll see folders for each release of After Effects that you’ve used on this machine (18.0, 18.1, 18.2, etc.). Move (don’t copy, just move) the 18.2 folder to your desktop…

4. Request: Shortcuts for Graph Editor Tools

Please make all of the Graph Editor’s tools and context menus accessible via custom shortcuts. Make Speed Graph and Value Graph a toggle, so one can easily switch between them with the same command.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please make te home screen less rigid.

The home screen completely blocks MacOS. Creating a new Safari window results in a window behind the home screen.
    Annoying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. BUG: AE 8.2.1 on macOS 11.4 on MacPro6,1 2 AMD FireProD700

if one is moving a Layer in the Composition View it wiggles around.
    if you build a motion path with the layer it wiggles around until the preview is rendered.
    if you put of "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer and Footage Panels" it gets much better but is still present. This shows on our MacPro6,1 an on our iMac17,1. On newer hardware such as iMac19,1 it is not present.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Issue with text files

This is an issue with text files. I have to *.txt files, one had a single line of text and the other one had more than one line. When importing these in AE the first file was detected as "corrupted" while the second one loaded without a problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. while consolidation add skip option for some footages that we don't want to collect but it should be in ae as unlinked file.

while consolidation add skip option for some footages that we don't want to collect but it should be in ae as unlinked file, because it takes too much time to collect footages which we can be simply linked to it later from our source footage location.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. *** Ability to adjust interface font size ***

My eyes are getting destroyed attempting to read the interface on a 5K monitor. I have to physically lean into the screen to read some of it. Other applications are fine, just AE is using a font size smaller than what's on my phone. When my eyes get tired, AE becomes an extremely difficult piece of software to use.
    This is 2021, many of us are using larger higher resolution screens. We need this flexibility!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Master audio volume

I would like to have a master volume knob for audio that does not effect rendered audio levels. Just for convenience, when Ae is used while listening to music or podcasts.

In fact, this slider is already included, it just does not work.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix the script limitation hotkeys?

Can I get any help on this!!?? Not sure how to get any support! My scripts are not showing anymore and my script set is used very often! The ExecuteMenuItems are not working anymore, and it doesn't get to 20? 20 is already limiting and after affects also has 12 scripts on the default app folder! If you're on multiple sites without IT only leaves you around 6 if they all work!? Can I get any help to fix for this? Not sure how else get adobe support!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Adobe Splash screens - a visual horror show

Remove all splash screen imagery

Why does Adobe insist on incuding some of the worst imagery imaginable in their splash screens? As a 'pro' user being exposed to this tripe many times a day is incredibly annoying. Why in fact do we need any kind of image on the splash screen - just a simple logo as before was enough surely. We are all exposed to too much visual pollution these days as it is - having to see it in my work environment is infurating and distracting.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. dont trigger save dialogue when project is empty

since the last version ae triggers the save dialogue even when the project is empty, eg when i open the first project. really annoying for large project i want to open and then leave it for a minute, but then theres this dialogue in the back which prevents it from actually opening the project.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3d options not available on 4k monitor scaled to 150% (BUG)

Running AE 18.1.0 (Build 38) on Windows 10. Using a laptop with a 4k monitor connected. AE is running on the 4k monitor, and the monitor is scaled to 150% via Windows Display Settings.

I created a comp with 3D layers in it, but the 3D buttons/options that are normally in the comp panel do not show up (3D Fast Draft, Camera Selection, 3D View Layout, etc). I am aware that in this most recent version, the 3D options only show up when a comp with 3D layers is active. This is not the issue I'm having. If I drag…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug. We have been able to verify that the 3D controls in the Composition panel toolbar won’t draw correctly on Windows in two cases:
    1. Changing the display scaling of the monitor while AE is active.
    2. Moving AE (or possibly just the Comp panel) to a monitor with a different display scaling factor.

The result in both cases is that when AE calculates where the 3D controls should be drawn, it’s not factoring the change in display scale and it’s drawing them in the wrong place. If the display scale increased, there are fewer pixels to work with so the 3D controls either get cut off or disappear. If the display scale decreased, the 3D controls are all there but they get an extra margin on the right.

The workaround is to restart AE, so that the 3D controls read the display scale correctly…

16. The ability to Lock paths - like masks - inside Shape layers.

The ability to Lock paths - like masks - inside Shape layers. This would be useful for character animation with overlapping paths, making selection easier and more precise with complex rigs.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Get rid of 'More Options' button in Interpret Footage

Since... well, forever... the 'More Options' button in the Interpret Footage dialog has only ever been applicable to Vector footage (Illustrator/EPS) and then has only ever contained one parameter, the antialiasing quality (correct me if I'm wrong?) As such, it's dumb to have to click a button just to open up ANOTHER dialog that only contains 1 option.

Please move the Antialiasing menu out into the main footage dialog, replacing the More Options button. Ghost it when it's not applicable like everything else.

See attached mockup.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for filing this request.

The More Options button is used for more than vector files. The most common use case is for raw video formats, such as RED, Arri, Sony, Canon, etc. There are some other cases, but I don’t have them catalogued in my brain.

What I’m hearing from you is that the step to get to specific settings for AI/EPS files is an extra click that you’d rather not do. There’s a variety of ways I imagine we could solve this in the UI, everything from trying to make the Interpret Footage dialog accommodate footage-specific custom panels (difficult), to a more accessible menu command for the More Options button, or something else entirely.

In your ideal world, how would you like to see this work in the UI?

18. Motion Tracking Overhaul

We need a complete rework of Motion Tracking and the tracking UI. I'm a Visual Effects artist and use the tracking features of AE daily. I wide up using Mocha for most things because AE's tracking system is in dire need of improvements. Not sure I can remember the last time these features were touched.
    1. Tracking controls should be in the footage window, not a separate tab, this makes it easy to ~ key the footage window and full screen the entire shot. tracking occurs in the footage window, the settings should be in there as well.
    2. CENTER…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Real time update color bar in Hue/Saturation

When dragging the virtual sliders to change numbers in Hue/Saturation Effect / Colorize mode, the color bar in the effect panel is only updated when the mouse button is released.
    This doesn't allow easy and intuitive color manipulation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bug: Move time to preview time broken after newest update (April 14 2021)

Move time to preview time seems to be broken after the newest update (April 14 2021)

I used this feature daily to fast preview animations, and I could watch the blue scrubber pass over the audio waveform and stop it where I wanted. The newest patch has broken this functionality. The play head no longer stops where you stop it, it now goes back to where it started when you began the preview, no matter if this option is checked in Preview settings.

Update: Duplicating and deleting some layers seems to have fixed it initially, but the problem is intermittent…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base