After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Lock Workspace

I think it would be useful to borrow the Lock Workspace feature from Photoshop for After Effects, esp with the wide use of so many scripts and CEP panels in many workflows. I accidentally pull off tabs or slide them around in my day-to-day use of AE, esp since I’m using a Wacom pen most of the time.

I’m sure there’s some wrinkles to consider, esp when switching Workspaces while locked - do you prompt with a pop-up or automatically switch it?

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. autosave/save in background

Waiting for up to two minutes and having After Effects locked while saving is quite frustrating. Illustrator, Premiere and Photoshop all enable a user to save while working. I'd really appreciate this being added to AE.

74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. an indicator to show which expression engine is in use

Currently there is no way to tell what expression engine is in use, without opening up the prefs to check. Using the legacy expressions engine causes annoying expressions errors, that can be hard to debug if you don't realise that the legacy expressions engine is running.
    An indicator (or switch) in the UI, maybe as part of the expressions editor would be helpful.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. No more ugly splash screens please.

Whe we launch After Effects, it could be great if the splash screen would be:

• Beautiful
    • Inspiring
    • In relation with After Effects, somehow.

We're not just users, we're also artists, and our environment is very important to our creativity, we're always looking for new stuff, for inspiration.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Revert the icons to the multi-colored versions!

This is an Adobe CC wide issue but AE is where I notice it the most.

Please revert the icons to the multi-colored versions! It makes no sense to make them the same color when the "themes" break down beyond video and photo use. I used the colors to quickly locate the software I needed to open, now I have a taskbar full of purple and have to squint to tell which letters I am clicking on.

It seems like a very poor design choice that was likely made by the boardroom, not the creative team, and I beg you…

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Flip Flop After Effects!

Please change the effects “Flip” and “Flop” to Horizontal Flip and Vertical Flip! It seems very unnecessary and strange that they are called that and should match Premiere/the rest of the industry! PLEASE!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Return from the Dark Side

I have a real problem:
    Dark user interface triggers my horrible migraine.

Latest Photoshops fortunately have restored
    the option to change UI light.

I suggest that the same would be done to After Effects.

I physically can't use it now but I know that also a lot of
    other artists find lighter UI more relaxing to the eyes.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Cant make the Layer switches pane smaller if i use the german version of after effects

If you use the german language there is a huge empty space, which can not be close, when the parenting switches are draged to the left.
    This causes that the useable timeline space is much smaller in the german version, than in the english version.

The example picture shows the settings for the minimal widht for the english and german version. It shows that the empty space in the german version (marked red) is completly useless and i think everybody would enjoy it, if there would be a way to get rid of it.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Changeable UI font size

To be able to change the UI font size.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please bring back some way of profiling composition performance.

I love the new multi-frame render, but on the way, the old data After Effects showed, where you could see on one frame, the heaviest effects and processes so you could optimize is gone. If you could bring it back, or better yet, have a way to assess performance of effects and layers in a visual way, that would be amazing. I mean this data:

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. BRING BACK THE TIMELINE BUTTON!!!

When working with multiple windows, the timeline button is essential. Why Adobe decides to remove it without any workaround. What improvement?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix this! After effects 2021 can no longer read image sequences from network drives

in the latest AE 2021 when trying to read image sequences from a network drive I get this error. This works fine in AE 2020, or if I copy the same sequence to a local drive. Must be a bug, so I hope Adobe can fix this or provide a solution.

After Effects error: Can’t import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name.

( 39 :: 44 )

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/after-effects-error-can-t-import-as-a-sequence-found-no-matches-for-the-selected-file-name/m-p/10986538#M106354

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. "Dropdown Menu Control Effect" disappearing from the Essential Graphic Window

BUG:

When I edit a property of a "Dropdown Menu Control Effect" (Adding or removing a Name), it disappears from the Essential Graphic Window, I have to drop it back again and re-input the name it was given. (same issue for AE 2021 and AE Beta)

If we can fix this it would be great. With Love

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Nicer Windows 10 system-toolbar frame

Can we get same top frame of window system toolbar as Photoshop have? In one line and with customizable colors?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3D preferences keep resetting after restarting application

Every time I go to preferences to turn off 3D Camera Navigation Gizmos the checkbox is checked again the next time I restart After Effects. I'd rather keep the composition markers shortcuts on as my default. Changing my keyboard layout also does nothing as preferences seems to override keyboard layouts.

AE Version 18.2.0 (Build 37)
    Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2
    Intel Xeon X5670 Dual 2.93GHz Processors
    128GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX Titan X 12GB

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting this bug. I’m not experiencing this problem on my machine, so I’d like to explore this further with you. Can you please tell me:

What languages are your OS and After Effects are running in?

I’d like you to try resetting the preferences, and if that doesn’t solve the problem, I’d like to get copies of the preferences files in the before/after states. Please follow these instructions:

1. In After Effects, open Preferences > General. Click the Reveal Preferences in Explorer button at the bottom. This will open the folder where the preferences files are.
    2. Quit After Effects.
    3. In the preferences folder, navigate up one level. This will be the Adobe/After Effects folder and you’ll see folders for each release of After Effects that you’ve used on this machine (18.0, 18.1, 18.2, etc.). Move (don’t copy, just move) the 18.2 folder to your desktop…

16. After Effects 17.5 Separate 3D Gizmo and the Bounding Box in the 'Handles' option for 'View Options'

We often use Cyclops in order to create behind the scenes breakdowns of our shots. However with the new 3D Gizmo, it's not possible to show bounding boxes of different layers without also having a giant brightly colored 3D Gizmo on every layer as well.

Behind the Scenes footage is a backbone of our studio workflow, so it's a bummer that we won't be able to update and utilize the 3D tools while this is a thing.

At the very least maybe have options for Gizmo size/opacity, something to make it less in your face.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Request: Shortcuts for Graph Editor Tools

Please make all of the Graph Editor’s tools and context menus accessible via custom shortcuts. Make Speed Graph and Value Graph a toggle, so one can easily switch between them with the same command.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. keyframes valuechange

please indicate if there is a valuechange between keyframes.

If there is no value change, use a dashed line.
    If there is a change, use a solid line.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 41 42
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base