After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Project specific render locations

Been requesting this simple feature for like 8 years. People work on multiple projects a day- they have different render locations per project, but After Effects globally uses the last place you saved no matter what project is opened. Each project ALWAYS renders to the same place and it's different per project. I can't possibly think where it's useful for 99% of workflow. My entire day is hunting for my render folders whenever I switch between projects. I force my employees to request this feature, I've been requesting this feature, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SAVE US. Project. Specific. Render. Locations.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Bug Report: Motion Templates Not Displaying in Premiere Correctly

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing an issue with a .mogrt I'm working on. It's a block of text that appears from off-screen. I've written expressions to show/hide text and background layers based on how many lines of text the user inputs.

Everything's working great in After Effects but as soon as I pull it across to Premiere, it doesn't display correctly. I feel like this must be something to do with the text box input in Premiere. Is it possible it's inserting a space somewhere? I've checked each blank box but they're definitely empty…

Can you shed any light on this?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make use of TIFF's ExtraSamples tag

The TIFF file format contains the ExtraSamples tag (338) which can be used to give a description of extra components. This field can be used to specify inside the file if it contains premultiplied or straight data.
    When AE exports a TIFF sequence it just leaves this field as UNSPECIFIED. This causes other software (and AE itself) to be unable to know if the data is premultiplied or straight.
    Similarly, when a composition is created from a TIFF file AE does not seem to read this field and thus it's guessing wrong as to what kind of contents is in…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Zoom To Work Area

How about a command that allows us to zoom the Timline to the exact in and out frames that the work area bar is set up to?

Right now we can tap the ";" key to Zoom in to Frame Intervals – how about Alt+; to trigger Zoom To Work Area?

74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Layer Styles

It would be great to have the same Layer Style options like in Photoshop. I mean, if I have created a Stroke with a gradient in Photoshop, I would like to edit that gradient in After Effects to create some animation fx. And more important, when I make a PSD test layer editable in After Effects, I loose some times the layer style fx in After Effects.

Thaks

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Paste Text Without Formatting

The ability to paste text from the clipboard without formatting (size, colour, font). Would help speed up workflow when copying titles etc from other text editors/word processors.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Vector Brush

Please add a brush that you can use to draw vector shapes like you would in Illustrator or Flash. The pen tool is right there already. Thank you.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add MPEG options to After Effects render engine

I would like AE to be able to Export MPEGS. The list of options in AE is pretty small. I've been using those legacy QT codecs for the longest and with the depreciation of those I am left with file formats that are too big. Apple Pro res seems okay but its Mac only. I have to use AME to export videos as MPEG. However, AME has issues.

For example,I have an issue with media encoder, where if I change an asset in AE like audio and even delete it from the project, AME still renders with the old audio.…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Support import .ai artboard

Support import .ai artboards.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. aerender json aware

It will be great to have aerender JSON aware. at this point in time aerender is only evaluating $.eval(file) while rendering.
    This would help the community a lot by avoiding paying for a lot of plugins. Interestingly the footage(json file) is working great with aftereffects but not with JSON footage

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. H264 import as well as export not supported??? (AE15.1.1)

Hey
    At the post facility where I work we upgraded to After Effects 15.1.1 on monday, reassured that h264 (.mp4) was still possible via AME + that QT7 codecs were still supported for IMPORT (as per release notes https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html)

Unfortunately, AE just hangs indefinitely when importing QT H264... which is going to be a logistical nightmare for old projects that need to be reopened containing QT H264 files....

FYI, running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 (over 14 workstations)
    No change whether footage on networkdrive, local drive.

Any suggestions?? urgently, if poss...

Thanks

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report.

H.264, along with many other codecs, inside a QuickTime file remain supported for import in After Effects 15.1 and Premiere Pro 12.1.

Can you please send us a link to a file that demonstrates the problem? We will inspect it to evaluate the problem. If you prefer not to post it publicly, you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com.

Most of the problems we have encountered with QuickTime files using supported codecs are that they use little-used QuickTime 7 functionality that is not natively supported by After Effects or Premiere Pro. That, or the file itself is malformed in some way. In previous versions of After Effects and Premiere Pro, the 32-bit QuickTime process could be used to process these files; now that it is gone, any such files that relied on QuickTime 7 functionality will fail to import.

We can look at…

13. Estamos com esse erro chato no After Effects CC 2018 - There was an error processing this PDF document

Olá,

Estou com esse problema e não consigo resolver de modo algum:

After Effects error: There was an error processing this PDF document. (1074397201) ( 50 :: 29 )

After Effects error: cannot reopen an open file. ( 3 :: 130 )

Logo depois disso o After Effects trava e fecha. não salva nada, mas também não há nada para salvar pois eu não consigo mais fazer modificações no vídeo por causa disso.

Se alguém puder me esclarecer algo que resolva meu problema, vejo que tem muitas pessoas com essa dificuldade mas sem uma solução concreta.

Atenciosamente,

Fernando Batista

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report.

What is the path to the file (or files) it is reporting the error about? Is it an Illustrator (.ai) file, or a PDF file?

Did you create this project by previously using the Collect Files command?

If you move the file (or files) causing the error to your desktop, open the project, and then re-link to the file on the desktop, does the problem go away?

There is a potential bug that can occur if the path to Illustrator or PDF files is very long, after the project was created by the Collect Files command. Your answers to the questions above can help determine if this is the problem you have encountered.

Em Portguese (Google Translate):

Obrigado por preencher este relatório de bug.

Qual é o caminho para o arquivo (ou arquivos) sobre o qual está relatando o erro? É um arquivo…

14. Center Path / Shape Anchor Point

Currently there is no way to center a paths anchor point. It would be helpful to have a keyboard shortcut that would take the current selected path anchor point and center it to the path points, much like Ctrl + alt + Home does for layers.

This would allow path level animation to happen around the center of the path or shape instead of wherever the Anchor Point is arbitrarily put when created.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Per-project Auto-Save

This would allow you to still have the global preferences settings for Auto-Save and would add an override to the project settings window. That way, if you're working on a project that you don't want auto-saving or want it saving less often, you can change it for that one project without worrying about having to remember to re-enable/reset it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. access to other text document object properties and per character settings

right now I cant set per character styles with extendscript and the text document object. if i try to set the style it affects the whole string. It would be nice to loop through a string and have different styles for specific characters.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. graceful exit for aerender

It's impossible to kill an aerender instance running in the command line without some sort of brute force method, like using 'kill' or Ctrl-C. This often leaves corrupt partially written frames in an image sequence render which can cause problems to the final output.

It would be good if aerender could exit gracefully when told to quit, cleaning up any partially completed frames as it does. Even better would be an option to quit after the current frame, so that say hitting "q" would cause it to finish rendering the current frame and then quit.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Search for text layers

Recently needed to change multiple text layer names and had to manually open every comp and find them. Would be nice to be able to search for them by name or content (either would be handy).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Provide Option to Turn off "Image-Adaptive" when importing Cinema DNG RAW sequences

DJI cameras that shoot RAW video record in the CinemaDNG format. There are two options for converting this to an editable intermediary: 1. Davinci Resolve or 2. Adobe After Effects. Grading through ACR and importing into AE produces the best image quality, however, it often produces flicker. The ACR process has an adaptive function that changes the overall image exposure. This "image-adaptive" function works on single images but on image sequences like CinemaDNG, it can produce flicker. There needs to be an option to disable this adaptive function if importing an image sequence.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Batch or Group Replace Layers

It would be awesome if AE could replace multiple layers in the timeline with multiple items in the Project Panel (while holding the Option key) like some sort of group replace mechanism. The order in which the files in the Project panel could match the existing selected layers in the timeline could be based on which item in the Project Panel was clicked first, second, third, etc.
    Or even better: right-click on the selected items in the Project panel and make a new 'group replace' menu? Maybe a pop window appears that confirms the layers to be replaced with the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base