After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Per-project Auto-Save

This would allow you to still have the global preferences settings for Auto-Save and would add an override to the project settings window. That way, if you're working on a project that you don't want auto-saving or want it saving less often, you can change it for that one project without worrying about having to remember to re-enable/reset it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. access to other text document object properties and per character settings

right now I cant set per character styles with extendscript and the text document object. if i try to set the style it affects the whole string. It would be nice to loop through a string and have different styles for specific characters.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. graceful exit for aerender

It's impossible to kill an aerender instance running in the command line without some sort of brute force method, like using 'kill' or Ctrl-C. This often leaves corrupt partially written frames in an image sequence render which can cause problems to the final output.

It would be good if aerender could exit gracefully when told to quit, cleaning up any partially completed frames as it does. Even better would be an option to quit after the current frame, so that say hitting "q" would cause it to finish rendering the current frame and then quit.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Search for text layers

Recently needed to change multiple text layer names and had to manually open every comp and find them. Would be nice to be able to search for them by name or content (either would be handy).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide Option to Turn off "Image-Adaptive" when importing Cinema DNG RAW sequences

DJI cameras that shoot RAW video record in the CinemaDNG format. There are two options for converting this to an editable intermediary: 1. Davinci Resolve or 2. Adobe After Effects. Grading through ACR and importing into AE produces the best image quality, however, it often produces flicker. The ACR process has an adaptive function that changes the overall image exposure. This "image-adaptive" function works on single images but on image sequences like CinemaDNG, it can produce flicker. There needs to be an option to disable this adaptive function if importing an image sequence.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Batch or Group Replace Layers

It would be awesome if AE could replace multiple layers in the timeline with multiple items in the Project Panel (while holding the Option key) like some sort of group replace mechanism. The order in which the files in the Project panel could match the existing selected layers in the timeline could be based on which item in the Project Panel was clicked first, second, third, etc.
    Or even better: right-click on the selected items in the Project panel and make a new 'group replace' menu? Maybe a pop window appears that confirms the layers to be replaced with the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Send a job to Media Encoder from the Render Queue.

I find myself sending jobs to render queue and starting the render and then realizing that I have to make changes on it, so to make the changes I need to stop the render which is not convenient, if there was an option to continue the render on media encoder like ''RightClick on the job rendering - Continue on Media Encoder'' that would be really useful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make Collect Files Include Fonts

When you collect a project with the collect files command, have After Effects look for any non-typekit fonts and include them in the folder.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Invalid JSON Object Error

Error/Bug Report: When importing a tab delimited file, any quotation marks in data values results in this After Effects alert:

After Effects warning: Problem encountered with file "FILENAME.tsv". Data File: Parsing error:"dataOutline[0]::children[0]", Invalid JSON Object.

When I remove the quotation marks from the text/tsv file, After Effects handles it properly.

Any workarounds for this so I can use data with text values including quotations? Thanks!

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Batch replace PSD Layers

Right now, we're able to see each PSD layer as a single file. This feature makes imposible to batch replace layers, with another version of the PSD file.

What I suggest is to enable this option to improve the interoperability between Photoshop and After Effects.

This could be the workflow:

Step 1: Select the desired layers to replace.
    Step 2: Right click on one of them and select the 'Batch replace layers' option.
    Step 3: After Effects will ask you to import the new PSD file (as when you replace any other file).
    Setp 4: Then a two-columns panel will…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Purge Disk Cache (only) to Edit>Purge menu

The TWO Memory related purges under Edit>Purge> also remove the Undo history - this is bad.
    Edit>Purge>ImageCache is fine as it is.
    Need quicker access to only purge the Disk Cache; without having to dive into the Prefs Dialog.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add photoshop layer update feature

Its cool that Photoshop has the Ctrl+E feature but it would be cooler if there is a button that you could add the new layers of the Photoshop fil, something like the cinemware where you can re import the contents of the c4d file into after.
    So photosop will have no steps inbetween importing and updating files.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Open-EXR 16-bit HALF-float rendering

32-bit Open-EXR is now supported. The ability to render a HALF float from AE will improve workflow with smaller files and data rates when 32-bits is not necessary.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Duplicate Comps that creates duplicates of internal Comps

When I duplicate a Comp, the duplicated comp uses the same internal comps as the original.

This is correct, but it would be nice to have an option that also duplicates internal comps.

That way I’m not going to affect a comp that have duplicated.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. A keyboard shortcut to add a keyframe to which ever property you have selected.

If I have any property selected in the timeline I would love the ability to use a keyboard shortcut to add a keyframe, I realise you can do this on a small few of the properties, Scale, Position, etc... BUT it would be great to have the ability to do this on which ever property you have selected. If you can already do this, my apologies, but I don't think you can. Please generous Adobe staff can you work your magic. :-)

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this feature request.

To create a keyframe for selected properties, you can choose the Animation > Add Keyframe command. (The name of this command will change if you only have one property selected, ex. Add Opacity Keyframe.)

This command does not have a keyboard shortcut defined by default. However, you can assign a keyboard shortcut for it: choose Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts. More information about assigning keyboard shortcuts can be found here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/keyboard-shortcuts-reference.html#VisualKeyboardShortcutEditor

Given this information, do you still have a request for us? That is, do you want a shortcut defined by default? If so, which shortcut? (One that is already not in use by After Effects.)

17. why remove quicktime 7 suppert?

It's just unbelievable how many problems it does. I have hundreds of film projects of different effects that need to be converted. simple Wav files also need to be converted to them. Please bring them back!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Master Property Undo and Copy Expression Bug

If you replace a comp that has a master property with an expression or keys on it, it gets cleared out. That makes sense. But if you undo, expressions and keys on a mastery property don't return.

Also, the UI lets you "Copy Expression Only" for Master Properties but you can't paste onto duplicates, even of the same precomp with the exact same Master Properties.

Aside from a few minor issues, I love the world Master Properties opens up for us.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Double clicking Library colours to use them in comps (colours of text, solids, fill, etc)

Full Library functionality like in Illustrator or Photoshop. Make the colours in the Library useful. For example: selecting the colour of a text in your comp by clicking/selecting/dragging a colour from your Library.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Opacity not working in Master Properties

I have a pre-comp that has 2 layers in it. One graphic, the other text. I use OPACITY from both layers as a means to control in the MAIN layer as a Master Property. However, when I attempt to change the OPACITY from the MASTER PROPERTY it does not work, respectively

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base