After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. import

Bug: jpeg importer does not import correctly. When importing multiple jpeg files, they show up as the same image, i.e., the file names are correct in the project panel, but when opening them in the footage viewer or placing them in a sequence, they are all either the same image or 1 of 2 different images. if the file type is changed to pngs, all images display correctly.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add photoshop layer update feature

Its cool that Photoshop has the Ctrl+E feature but it would be cooler if there is a button that you could add the new layers of the Photoshop fil, something like the cinemware where you can re import the contents of the c4d file into after.
    So photosop will have no steps inbetween importing and updating files.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. After Effects error: there was an error processing the pdf

How do I solve this after effects error: there was an error processing the pdf

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. We need a native VR Player or a list of appropriate plugins that will work with Mettle Skybox and Oculus Rift

We need a native VR Player or a list of appropriate plugins that will work with Mettle Skybox and Oculus Rift

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Provide Option to Turn off "Image-Adaptive" when importing Cinema DNG RAW sequences

DJI cameras that shoot RAW video record in the CinemaDNG format. There are two options for converting this to an editable intermediary: 1. Davinci Resolve or 2. Adobe After Effects. Grading through ACR and importing into AE produces the best image quality, however, it often produces flicker. The ACR process has an adaptive function that changes the overall image exposure. This "image-adaptive" function works on single images but on image sequences like CinemaDNG, it can produce flicker. There needs to be an option to disable this adaptive function if importing an image sequence.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Timeline shortcuts in macbook pro touchbar

I got the new macbook pro and I miss having shortcuts in my touchbar for after effects.
    We could have some shortcuts like:
    - Zoom in and out;
    - Go to next animation keyframe
    - Set shortcuts for favorite effects;
    - Audiowave control / visualization

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make use of TIFF's ExtraSamples tag

The TIFF file format contains the ExtraSamples tag (338) which can be used to give a description of extra components. This field can be used to specify inside the file if it contains premultiplied or straight data.
    When AE exports a TIFF sequence it just leaves this field as UNSPECIFIED. This causes other software (and AE itself) to be unable to know if the data is premultiplied or straight.
    Similarly, when a composition is created from a TIFF file AE does not seem to read this field and thus it's guessing wrong as to what kind of contents is in…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bug: Dragging from a Library to a folder in the Project panel doesn't place it in that folder.

There is a bug where you can't drag any item from the Library panel directly into a folder in the Project panel. After Effects will always place the item in the root folder. You will have to then manually drag the item to the location you want after it has been imported.

This can get pretty cumbersome in large projects.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please give ability for AE to read EXR written by Houdini !!

Please give ability for AE to read EXR written by Houdini !!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please can you bring back the Filmstrip export / import function in After Effects (and Premiere and Photoshop)

Hi,

Please can you bring back the Filmstrip export function which I think was dropped from After Effects after CS4 and I think from Premiere after CS3.

(Or alternatively, please can you make the CS3 and CS4 versions of Adobe CS software available through Creative Cloud subscription so the Filmstrip feature is readily available to use again.)

I realise that it's possible to draw on top of video frame by frame in the Photoshop CC2018 Timeline - and that's great, it's a very useful feature.

However I was trying to create a distressed effect across a video where precision as…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Send a job to Media Encoder from the Render Queue.

I find myself sending jobs to render queue and starting the render and then realizing that I have to make changes on it, so to make the changes I need to stop the render which is not convenient, if there was an option to continue the render on media encoder like ''RightClick on the job rendering - Continue on Media Encoder'' that would be really useful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Batch or Group Replace Layers

It would be awesome if AE could replace multiple layers in the timeline with multiple items in the Project Panel (while holding the Option key) like some sort of group replace mechanism. The order in which the files in the Project panel could match the existing selected layers in the timeline could be based on which item in the Project Panel was clicked first, second, third, etc.
    Or even better: right-click on the selected items in the Project panel and make a new 'group replace' menu? Maybe a pop window appears that confirms the layers to be replaced with the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. .DPX Conforming bug from PR 2018 > AE 2018

When I imported graded .dpx sequence in PR 2018 timeline, then I click replace with After Effect composition every images in in .dpx sequence is blank.
    I can do the same thing in 2017 suite without this problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Impliment option to have "Generate solid" create shape layer instead of new project item

When the user chooses to create a new solid, the user should be presented with an option in the dialogue box for the new solid which, when checked, toggles the creation of a shape layer in the comp rather than creating a new "Solid" project item.

Purpose: Solids behave differently than shape layers for some effects. In example, apply "Set Matte" to a text layer; set the source of the alpha to reference a solid or a shape layer and the results are different when the referenced layer is transformed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bring back after effects 15.0.1

AE 15.0.1 was the last version that supported QT codec based exports.
    For many professional content deliverers this is a crucial part of their work. (Prores 422 is still THE standard for most).
    Now, after the plublication of cc2019, the option to install the "older version" 15.0.1 is gone from the cc installer tab.

This is a severe problem for all QT based workflows.

Please bring back this option.
    The only possible reson to withdraw this version would be if there were serious security issues with this version in which case it would be adobe's duty to report those.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Trim to Comp Error

When using "Trim Comp to Work Area," if my Timecode Display Style is setup as "Timecode," the beginning of the trimmed comp is whatever timecode it was previously, but if I'm in the frames "Timecode Display Style," it resets the beginning frame to "0," instead of the frame number that it was before.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bring back AE 15.0.1 and ME 12.0.1

By introducing AE16 Adobe has also removed the last working versions of AE and ME from the list of older versions in the CC installer.
    By last working we are talking about native QT export in industry codecs like prores, hap or any other professional QTbased codec.

This means: If You got lured into installing AE16 by the news the missing QT features where fixed by bringing back at least HAP then You just destroyed Your production workflow. Because now there's no way of safely going back to AE15.0.1

This is an unacceptable step and severe problem for most of…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bug report - Improper timecode syncing in AE v 16.0.0

Upon importing mxf footage provided by my client, I've found that timecodes shown in v 16.0.0 does not sync properly. The client handed me a document with a short list of ins and outs they wanted me to trim the file to and export separate treated clips.

Sometimes the timecode was off by up to 130 frames.

I ended up using premiere to export out the trimmed clips, then import that premiere project into after effects to keep the trim points where they should be, and sure enough, AE was showing completely wrong timecode for the properly edited shots.

Ultimately…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Merge Grouped Shapes sent from XD

The new ability to send assets from XD to AE is amazing and helps a lot (especially for prepping disorganized Illustrator files).

It would be great to merge paths that are at the bottom of a group. Or at least having the option to toggle it. My layers are nice and grouped in XD, but I don't want each path to be it's own layer in AE.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base