After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. essential graphics

Allow dragging properties from the Effects Controls panel to the Essential Graphics panel.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better Import of Photoshop Clipping Masks

It would be great if we could import photoshop layers with clipping masks into AE without having to rasterize the layer in PS and apply the layer mask. I find with soft edge masks AE doesn't recognize the mask data. Currently I have to go through my PS file and manually rasterize masks. Thanks!

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Just make it FASTER

Just please make it faster. Faster ram preview and faster render. Utilise the hardware that's out there.

I have a 4.2ghz spec'd iMac and when rendering AE is lucky to use 25% of my cpu, let alone no GPU support for anything other than NVIDIA. Quite honestly just MAX my cpu out, and I'll be happy. That's why I bought it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Repel Effect in Particle Playground no working on MAC

Using AE CC 2019, a simple program works on a Windows PC but does not work on a MAC. The Canon should effect the Grid which is does on the PC but not the MAC. After many hours of trying to make it work, I believe the MAC version has a bug and doesn't work properly. I need this to work on my MAC. Any help would be very much appreciated. Here is a link to the project file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bbY_1dLB1GV31LyFtJKnv0ClPmpQsKlx/view?usp=sharing

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Convert multiple text layers to multiple shape layers at the same time

Layer -> Create -> Create Shapes from Text

I would like the ability to convert multiple layers of text to multiple layers of shapes at the same time instead of having to create them individually. This feature is available in Illustrator (Create Outlines) and would be a great time-saving device in text-heavy projects in After Effects.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add shortcuts as in Premiere

Please add more customizable shortcuts through UI. Things like panel focus and preview resolution are missing.

It would be very nice if you could go into Premiere and copy over everything that is relevant.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Open-EXR 16-bit HALF-float rendering

32-bit Open-EXR is now supported. The ability to render a HALF float from AE will improve workflow with smaller files and data rates when 32-bits is not necessary.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create Puppet Pins via Scripting

Add the ability to properly add pins to a Puppet effect via scripting and/or allow access to the creation point of a pin.

This would be useful for linking pins to existing tracking points. For example, warping a layer to match a complex stretching surface that Mocha would fail to track.

Currently there's no way to adjust the origin of a point, so you have to manually set a point, which is prone to error and time consuming with many track points.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Include OpenColorIO support

It would be great if After Effects (similar to Nuke and Fusion) could include support for OpenColorIO as a standard. There is a 3rd party plugin however it has recently been causing issues with the "Warp Stabilizer VFX" effect.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Center Path / Shape Anchor Point

Currently there is no way to center a paths anchor point. It would be helpful to have a keyboard shortcut that would take the current selected path anchor point and center it to the path points, much like Ctrl + alt + Home does for layers.

This would allow path level animation to happen around the center of the path or shape instead of wherever the Anchor Point is arbitrarily put when created.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Batch replace PSD Layers

Right now, we're able to see each PSD layer as a single file. This feature makes imposible to batch replace layers, with another version of the PSD file.

What I suggest is to enable this option to improve the interoperability between Photoshop and After Effects.

This could be the workflow:

Step 1: Select the desired layers to replace.
    Step 2: Right click on one of them and select the 'Batch replace layers' option.
    Step 3: After Effects will ask you to import the new PSD file (as when you replace any other file).
    Setp 4: Then a two-columns panel will…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Per Application Plugin lists to speed up launch times

We have almost every plugin set for After Effects, but use them ONLY in After Effects. We don't use Premiere and use Media Encoder for transcoding only. Many people in our department just ask other people to make H264s because AME takes up to 4 minutes to launch!

Can we make AME launch faster by ignoring plugins? I swear i will NEVER use Sapphire in AME....

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support import .ai artboard

Support import .ai artboards.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Link media like Premiere Pro

The way AE link media is annoying, we have to look for the file manually while Premiere do it automatically.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Support for Phantom .cine files

It's really not efficient at all to go through third party software just to be able to work with .cine files, which are increasingly popular in professional environments. At the moment you have to convert through DaVinci Resolve or Phantom's proprietary software, instead of a simple drag-and-drop into your project.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. New Comp from Selection Bug - Naming of new comp is different than selection

AE 2019 - When creating comps based off of PSD's that are imported into after effects (footage - merged) we've come across that at a certain point AE will rename the new comp based off of some other composition name in the project. (Eg. It adds S0001.psd into a composition and calls the new comp S0650)

In our workflow we are creating 20-30 of these comps per day so having to manually rename them will add alot of time. Especially when it is meant to work with copying the name of the layer.

I've tried restarting the project and computer,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report.

Can you please provide us with a project that exhibits this problem? Having it in the “before” state with clear steps to reproduce the problem will help us isolate the cause of the problem. Before/after screenshots would also be appreciated.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

17. keyframes

Save/Set Selection – Illustrator has a (highly under-utilized) "save selection" feature – it would be incredible to be able to do this with both layers and keyframes. It would greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to tweak animations that require many, many layers or sets of keyframes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. BUG - docked extensions cause a crash in AE 2017

Hi there
    this is a repeatable bug - when I install an extension and dock it with my other toolbars, after rebooting after effects eveything looks fine until I open a project or even just click on a toolbar. then i get a windows error dialog and after effects quits. this does not seem to happen if I leave the extension as a floating window.
    I'm running the 2017.2 release for various reasons - 14.2.1.34 on a fresh install of windows 10.
    The extensions I have tried this with are Flow (v1.0.2b) and also the latest version of TimeTracker which…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. BUG REPORT. AE fails to overwrite Files that are selected in the OS. EVERY VERSION SINCE THE ADVENT OF OS X

this isn't and Idea, it is a report of a show stopping, LONG TERM bug that YOU HAVE YET TO FIX.

when rendering out of Aftereffects, over top of an existing file, the render fails, if the file is simply selected (and sometimes just visible) in the finder. and then from that point on, AE cannot render the file if the user does not first delete the file by hand.

this BUG is at least 10 years old. It is not 1995, there is no need for this obscene punch in the gut. Time to get on it.

mac os…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. E-gpu

Hello, are Adobe products accountable with e-gpu external systems?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base