After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pre-color layers

Instead of changing a color of a layer asset can we apply colors to assets in the project window? Or preset colors custom so that we can label these layers ahead of time instead of after dragging into a comp??

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Link After Effects files into After Effects

Kind of AE Dynamic Link, instead of import AE files, be able to link it. It would be a tremendous feature for small team projects.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bug Report: Bug when opening AE, start screen only showing spinning loading-circle (Win 10, AE2019 March)

Bug when opening AE on Win 10, start screen not showing any content besides spinning loading circle

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Submitting a bug which continually crashes After Effects

I have discovered a bug in After Effects. Here you have a few very simple comps nested inside each other - no matter that happens, when I double click on ShieldShoppingBag comp and try to interact with ANYTHING inside the comp, timeline, layers etc, AE crashes without warning. Please look into this and fix!

macOS Sierra
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Adobe After Effects CC
    Version 16.0.1 (Build 48)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. shortcut to enable/disable Auto-Keyframe quickly?

shortcut to enable/disable Auto-Keyframe quickly?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. PhotoJPEG Quicktime Support

Every studio review we have requires us to submit photoJPEG quicktimes as VFX dailies alongside our Avid and EXRs. Would be nice to have so I dont have to script a solution with ffmpeg.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Let me change language-setup of the keyboard shortcuts easily

I work in a lot of different agencies - many of them have the english version installed (not knowing about the aeforceenglish.txt trick) The problem is, the english shortcuts are simply useless on a e.g. german keyboard layout.

In the old times I used to patch the .txt file which contains the shortcut-info, for every AE-update I did this several times. The most fun part was that Win an Mac have this file stored in a different place.

It is nice that we can customise these now! By ourselves! But I am actually very happy whit the standard-setup. I believe…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Export text as editable PSD

When you save a frame as a Photoshop (PSD) file, it would be great to have the ability to export editable text layers, so that you can go into Photoshop and edit the text.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Export Motion Graphics Template to CC Library without having to have the Libraries panel open

Reporting a bug. This bug has also been verified by support.

When you try to export a Motion Graphics Template from the Essential Graphics panel to your CC Library - you have to have your Libraries panel open for it to export properly. If you don't have the Libraries panel open, nothing is exported.

Solution/Fix: You should not have to have the Libraries panel open to be able to export Motion Graphics Templates to your CC Library.

CRM:00061001672474
    Case Number: ADB-4379439-Y1M9
    Issue: CC Storage and Sync

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We reviewed this issue with our support and development teams, but are not able to reproduce this issue After Effects 16.0.

If you are still able to reproduce this, can you please record a screen capture video of the problem in action and send it to us?

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

12. queue to AME - The RPC server is unavailable

I am debugging an export plug-in i made with the Premiere Pro SDK. I am trying to export a composition from AE to AME, and i got
    "Exception thrown at 0x00007FF910977788 (KernelBase.dll) in Adobe Media Encoder.exe: 0x000006BA: The RPC server is unavailable."
    I can provide the log and dmp file too.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Project specific render locations

Been requesting this simple feature for like 8 years. People work on multiple projects a day- they have different render locations per project, but After Effects globally uses the last place you saved no matter what project is opened. Each project ALWAYS renders to the same place and it's different per project. I can't possibly think where it's useful for 99% of workflow. My entire day is hunting for my render folders whenever I switch between projects. I force my employees to request this feature, I've been requesting this feature, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SAVE US. Project. Specific. Render. Locations.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. dynamic link project import to another project returns an error 86::1

if dynamic link is created somewhere in time from Pr and then after awhile created another dynamic link from the same clip (ctrl+Zing the previous link, but leaving the Ae project with the unlinked dynamic link alone.) and trying to import the second project into the first one(in order to merge some compositing for ex), and keeping evolving both projects simultaneously separately, and then trying to import one to another Ae returns an error (86::1) Failed to connect to Adobe Dynamic Link project

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Blending Mode Transfer to Premiere over Dynamic Link

Would love for blending modes set on layers to transfer over dynamic link.

If I have a need to use an overlay for specific layers I have to bring in and export or footage clips and then send it back to premiere.

Video sequences are built in premiere, and After Effects would be an overlay.

Currently it just comes over blank, it's looking for layers below to add these blending modes to, but stops at within the composition.

This would help Dynamic links become "more Dynamic"

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. in TextDocument objects -> Make the font attribute directly assignable without overwriting kerning, baseline shift etc

My company uses a script that automatically creates write-on paths from text layers. We do this by having two fonts- the original, and a custom font that has just a path that will be converted into a mask for the 'stroke' effect.

When our script is executed, it would be ideal to simply change the font attribute of the targeted layer while leaving kerning, baseline shift, and other attributes unchanged. Because AE takes the settings from the first character and assigns those to all characters, we often get unaligned text after running.

Besides my specific case, I think a lot…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Clean Plate for Roto

It would be great to ingest a clean plate (clean image without talent etc) into a rotoscoping process to show the tool which parts of the image aren't part of the image to isolate.
    Some kind of difference key baked into the roto algorithm.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Copy Guides and Markers

Having the ability to copy guides between comps and copy markers between comps would be an amazing workflow addition. Currently you have a duplicate comps and paste layers into the comps where you have the guides or markers that you need.

Please implement this

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. better integration with wacom tablets please.

better integration with wacom tablets please.
    what else is there to say :)

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. increase number of frame digits

I got EXR sequences from DI with 7 digits frame number. Of course they want it back with same frame number, but AE is limited to 5.
    Please increase.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base