After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The space Bar preview does not work and I hope future patches can fix that issue

The space bar as a shortcut has been the default for previewing/playing and so far with the current version it does not work despite using different keyboards and I hope that can be fixed

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Scene Detect

Scene detect or cut/edit detection would be very helpful for those of us who get final cut videos from an editor who cannot provide project files with all the separate clips (or EDLs).

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. edit tools for editing video

Hey ,

it would be great if we could have some of the basic editing tools of a editing software directly in AE.
    Why?

Because sometimes it's easier to just do the editing in AE and not going back and forth to PP CC.

What we need?
    A Razor tool
    ( I know there is a shortcut, but sometimes its easier to just let the machine play and add the edits on the fly, cmd shift d)
    Insert edit
    Overwrite
    Select all left right
    replace edit
    sync edit
    ripple edit

would be great to have these tools natively.

I hope…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Paste as Plain Text

when working on motion graphics templates with a reference edition imported from premiere text i have to copy paste and copy to a plain text editor to keep my template font attributes

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Is there a way to share a render file between After Effects and Premiere?

If we can share After Effects projects with Premiere, is there a way to share the After Effects preview render file of a composition with its linked file in a Premiere project? That would save having to create another preview render file in Premiere.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. [Scripting,bug] Cannot render to external drives

OS X, any version. Setting the destination for a still file via scripting to a networked or external drive will result in failed render.

Setting the destination manually works.

Setting the destination by:

// options.path acquired earlier by folder.selectDlg.fsName or absoluteURI - doesn't matter which one

var fld = new Folder(options.path);

if (fld.exists) {
    var new_data = { "Output File Info" : {
    "Base Path" : fld.fullName, // fld.absoluteURI or any other method yields the same result
    "File Name" : fn + '_[#####]'
    }
    };
    om1.setSettings( new_data );
    }

and then attempting to manually change it by clicking on the…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Remove Animation as the default rendering codec

It is not supported on any modern OS.

(When I teach my (newbie) students about rendering, I have to do a lot of technical explanation on how and why to set up a more efficient rendering preset.)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Tapered strokes

The new version of After Effects supports Tapered strokes. Awesome!

However, I still can't import Illustrator variable width strokes into After Effects.

Could you make After Effects read variable width data from Illustrator?

Alternatively, you could open the variable width stroke data in Illustrator, so the very talented Adam Plouff at Battle Axe could add it to Overlord.

Additionally, you could add Wacom tablet support to After Effects, so we could draw with variable width (tapered stroke) directly in After Effects.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 'Replace with clip>from bin' just like in Premiere when you right click an object

For efficient workflow and swapping out of files, to swap out a layer on the timeline with a file from the bin. This idea is just like the feature in Premiere, where you right click a clip on timeline, 'replace clip>from bin'

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Give Reveal Source Text a hotkey or make it hotkey-able would be awesome

Being able to reveal source text with a hotkey like switching to layer position with 'P' instead of having to twirl down twice would be AWESOME for text layers. It would really speed up making essential graphics or linking text layers. As of now I checked for a setting where i could maybe assign a hotkey for it but it isn't in the list of available properties.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. team render client

In C4D is a render client that shows how many machines are online and if u start a 3D render, it will assign frames to each machine that is online. After Effects needs something like this. I want to use multiple machines without any stress for rendering the output fast. All I found are third party plugins or stressful workarounds.
    This should be integrated in AE.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. auto translate expressions

When opening an AE file, check if expressions are written in the language than the aftereffects version. If not, ask the user for an auto-translation.
    It would be a great improvement for team-working when you are not aware of everyone language presets.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Can't undo after saving

In AE 17.1.2 every time I save, it clears my edit history - meaning that I can't undo, despite the fact that I didn't close AE. Considering how often I save just in case of a crash, I'm worried that this is going to cause a major issue. And no, saving incrementally isn't an option because it'd make my folders incredibly messy really fast.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add a 360 video stitching software

Currently, the only option to stitch 360 video professionally is with MistikaVR. The company knows that and overcharging A LOT! it's $85 a month to use the software. I am so annoying by the way they are taking advantage of the creative community and would love to see them fall. I think it can be a great business for Adobe to develop a professional way to stitch VR and take the business from Mistika.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Preview Bug

The new update is full of bugs. Every time I preview a comp AE gets stuck in playback and I can't stop it. AE has been the most reliable and least faulty app Adobe has made. Please don't break it too.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add H264 render capability back into AE. (or solve the problem of waiting 1 minute for Media Encoder to launch.)

Media Encoder: Slow To Launch. Slow to add items into the Queue. Slow to change encoding presets/setting. Non-Intuitive to change render quality and image sequence naming in Media Encoder. Inconsistency between AE Render Queue features/settings and ME. Currently using ME is a big time suck and kills momentum. Please return the H264 feature to AE.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Bug: Errors when importing Animate .fla into AE project

As of the recent 17.0.2 update, I'm finding that I can't import Animate .fla files into AE.

The import dialog hangs for a while (whited-out in a non responsive state), then returns an error simply stating: "An error occured while importing this file. Please try again.". This error often appears behind the import dialog, and is easily missed.

This seems to happen with all .fla files, so I don't think it's a specifically broken file. On the previous AE / An version I had gotten around 50% of the way through a large project with fla importing working fine, and…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Essential Graphics bugs / oversights with Audio and forward parenting

I work in a studio where we deal with inmense amount of deliverables per project. Localisation differences or just dynamic videos that can have varying shots per asset where an edit itself stays global.

The use of Essential Graphics is a key component for us in order to minimize timelines and iterations as uniques are created dynamically instead of being full duplicates.

The part where our workflow breaks is when we have to deal with takes that inculed voice-overs or dialog that also needs to be swapped.

1:

Currently using expressions to "mute" a track and 0dB the other through…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Team Projects not finding media assets in CC Libraries

Dragging assets into Team Project from CC Libraries - after Quit an error message returns that After Effects is not able to locate all media.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. There should be a keyboard shortcut to jump the playhead to double digit comp marker numbers

I was recently trying to add 22 markers to my comp in order to have various layers moved to the markers for a complex motion graphics project. I wanted to use a keyboard shortcut to move the playhead quickly from marker to marker. This would also allow me to move layers to start at the markers using the left bracket shortcut. After much research I realized one can only use a keyboard shortcut, the number on the keypad, to go to markers 1-9. To me, it's ridiculous to limit this functionality to 9 markers. Lots of people in the forums…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base